Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
3ways to watch the Hobbit...

swampB
Bree

Apr 26 2014, 2:08am

Post #1 of 12 (729 views)
Shortcut
3ways to watch the Hobbit... Can't Post

I've seen AUJ and DOS multiple times and in different formats and they all offer a different watching experience that I like...

Reg 24 fps/bluray:
pros: high resolution and continuity with LOtR films
cons: it lacks the special effects that were purposefully shot with 3d in mind... Eg the special effects of Gandalf entrance in Goblin Town...

3d 24 fps/bluray:
pros: 3d intention remains and has that cinematic feel of normal 24fps
cons: motion is blurry and for many this causes eye strain and possible headache

3d hfr 48fps
pros: My favorite way to watch the Hobbit, No blur or strobing effect makes the action really work and 3d intention on effects remain and the CGI looks insane.
cons: you really do lose the cinematic feel, has the soap opera effect eg Inside Bards house. It's almost like you are watching a play...

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2014, 3:28am

Post #2 of 12 (300 views)
Shortcut
i prefer the standard bluray version, i don't like soap opera middle-earth! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

The flames of war are upon you..

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2014, 3:58am

Post #3 of 12 (290 views)
Shortcut
48 FPS [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw AUJ in both old school 2D (first), and in the trifecta 3D IMAX 48FPS (second). I'd say it came out a tie for me. I'm not sure it benefited much from 48 FPS.

But DOS, which I saw in 48 FPS only, I'm glad I did. Being the thrill-ride that it was, plus Smaug in close-up detailed glory, lent itself to HFR quite well indeed. It seemed like I could almost reach out and touch those scales. I doubt a 2D or 24FPS viewing would have measured up, for me.

Things overheard during games of chess in Middle-earth:

Galadriel (any and every time she advances her pawn to the last row): "In its place you would have a QUEEN!!!!" (thunder booms)

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 26 2014, 6:24am

Post #4 of 12 (263 views)
Shortcut
On AUJ.. [In reply to] Can't Post

On AUJ, the most emotional response I had when watching the oldschol 2D version.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2014, 12:21pm

Post #5 of 12 (188 views)
Shortcut
Yup, agreed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tried all three versions with AUJ, and it wasn't until I returned to 2D 24fps that I felt I had actually returned to M-e again...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Elskidor
Rohan

Apr 26 2014, 4:01pm

Post #6 of 12 (139 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't tell the difference.

Bofur01
Lorien

Apr 26 2014, 4:12pm

Post #7 of 12 (143 views)
Shortcut
I loved the HFR 3D in DoS... [In reply to] Can't Post

That was one of my favourite bits :p

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 26 2014, 4:16pm

Post #8 of 12 (136 views)
Shortcut
I've still yet to see either in 48 FPS [In reply to] Can't Post

BoFA will be my last chance I suppose.

Our destiny lies above us.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 26 2014, 4:16pm

Post #9 of 12 (134 views)
Shortcut
Agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

The best 3D movie i have ever seen.Great functionality of the HFR technique.Smile

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Apr 26 2014, 4:56pm

Post #10 of 12 (126 views)
Shortcut
I saw it at 48 [In reply to] Can't Post

Went with two people - one who was looking forward to the 48fps and my partner, who has no interest in tech stuff and didn't know about the frame rate change. We all reacted negatively. I had to see it again in 2D 24fps before I really enjoyed it. My partner didn't want to see DOS, as she hadn't liked AUJ. I had to play AUJ on BluRay to her, - she really enjoyed it, so agreed to see DOS in 2D 24fps at our local - and enjoyed that too. Despite what some say, there are people who do have a genuinely bad reaction to 48fps - it's nothing to do with expectations (my partner wasn't even aware of the frame rate change) - just the way the brain processes information.

I did regret not going back and seeing DOS in 3D, just in case. But I've no real interest in 48fps any more.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2014, 11:09pm

Post #11 of 12 (104 views)
Shortcut
48fps is my choice [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw both movies that way and loved it - especially how easy it made it to follow the action without eyestrain and blur. But the quality of the projection/calibration seems to vary somewhat from theater to theater, I've found.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

glor
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 4:40pm

Post #12 of 12 (65 views)
Shortcut
calibration.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yes.

Saw DOS in two different cinemas in 3d HFR format; one was stunning every hair could be seen, there was a clear difference between the 48fps and the standard HD format. The other, was well, what can I say, I hardly noticed the HFR at all, in facts parts were blurry although, I should have known better the bad HFR viewing was in a cinema my film buff brother in law refuses to use thanks to it's fuzzy screening and lack of screen calibration ( he has actually had refunds from said cinema due to his bad experiences with screen issues)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.