Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"Under the Mountain dark and tall" song in the BOTFA? *speculation/book spoilers*

Arandir
Gondor

Apr 25 2014, 7:27pm

Post #1 of 6 (607 views)
Shortcut
"Under the Mountain dark and tall" song in the BOTFA? *speculation/book spoilers* Can't Post

I missed the Misty Mountains theme in The Desolation of Smaug, but I'm wondering whether we'll be getting yet another "dwarf singing moment".

I'm thinking of one scene in particular that takes place in the book.

As the Elves and Men besiege the Lonely Mountain, Thorin and his companions sing a song (as Tolkien remarks, very similar to the one sung in Bag End). This raises the party's spirits considerably, but Bilbo remains gloomy.

The first few verses run like this ...

Under the Mountain dark and tall
The King has come unto his hall!
His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread,
And ever so his foes shall fall.

The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong;
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

If you sing it to the tune of the Misty Mountains theme, it has the same flow to it too (I've triedCrazy)

The scene in AUJ was really special and a highly introspective moment for each of the dwarves going on the adventure.

Now, having been through a lot, I could really see this new version playing out - as a quiet moment on the verge of the BOFA. A much darker, more sinister version would suit really well on the eve of the battle. It would also tie-in nicely throughout the whole trilogy - as if the theme has evolved from Film 1 to Film 3.

Pretty sure Howard Shore and his team are drafting a score to that right now Angelic

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 7:41pm

Post #2 of 6 (248 views)
Shortcut
I've wondered about this myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

As you say, Thorin's Dwarf-companions sing this to try to cheer him up. And it does fit the scheme of "Under the Misty Mountains Cold".

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 25 2014, 7:43pm

Post #3 of 6 (241 views)
Shortcut
I thought this too [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be a great way to re-implement the theme, so that we can get a grand rendition of it when the Dwarves charge out of the mountain. I'd hate not to hear it again.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Apr 25 2014, 7:46pm

Post #4 of 6 (260 views)
Shortcut
off topic but [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope in the DOS EE we get a freakin' song considering there were FIVE in An Unexpected Journey.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Dcole4
Lorien

Apr 25 2014, 7:48pm

Post #5 of 6 (240 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I highly doubt they shot all those songs in AUJ and decided to skip over all of the ones in DOS. While I don't think we'll get one in Beorn's house, as in the book, I do think we may get lucky in Laketown.

I'd love to also get one for Feast of Starlight, if they do include something. Something tells me they won't. :(

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Apr 26 2014, 12:47am

Post #6 of 6 (174 views)
Shortcut
That is awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

As the Elves and Men besiege the Lonely Mountain, Thorin and his companions sing a song (as Tolkien remarks, very similar to the one sung in Bag End). This raises the party's spirits considerably, but Bilbo remains gloomy.

The first few verses run like this ...

Under the Mountain dark and tall
The King has come unto his hall!
His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread,
And ever so his foes shall fall.

The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong;
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Now, having been through a lot, I could really see this new version playing out - as a quiet moment on the verge of the BOFA.

I could see it being a scene like the one in TTT where Théoden recites the horse and the rider poem, they could show all the armies preparing for war while Thorin and co remain locked inside the mountain waiting it out then later as Shagrat said have it blare out triumphantly when they burst from Erebor to save the day!

(This post was edited by Barrow-Wight on Apr 26 2014, 12:48am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.