Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
HUGE Announcement from Peter Jackson's facebook page TITLE CHANGE AND DOS EE
First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 2:12am

Post #226 of 337 (8749 views)
Shortcut
Good call // [In reply to] Can't Post

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 25 2014, 2:19am

Post #227 of 337 (8769 views)
Shortcut
what part is hyperbole [In reply to] Can't Post

I would want to know what I might express that would seem sincere to me and hyperbolic to someone else.

I didn't sense any hyperbole in her comment.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 2:39am

Post #228 of 337 (8760 views)
Shortcut
Calling it [In reply to] Can't Post

a fanboy action thriller. Just because it has some action in it even a little more than the LOTR doesn't make it a fanboy action thriller. I'd give ya the Transformers films or something like that but not these films. Or even some of the Lucas stuff I find to be bordering on Hyperbole. The movie has action and CGI but neither are those comments.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Apr 25 2014, 2:40am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 2:49am

Post #229 of 337 (8730 views)
Shortcut
Can we turn this WHOLE Thread into a Mini-SERIES?// [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 2:52am

Post #230 of 337 (8712 views)
Shortcut
You honour me. [In reply to] Can't Post

BlushThank you Sir V.SmileHeart

... and Lurker too.Smile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 3:03am

Post #231 of 337 (8712 views)
Shortcut
And it will be titled "The War Addressing The Revisions And Titles") or thWaRT for short // [In reply to] Can't Post

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 25 2014, 3:11am

Post #232 of 337 (8731 views)
Shortcut
ah, thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't have used that term. (I hate the term fanboy and fangirl)

It's such a treacherous path... finding a way to express what can often be heartfelt opinions without treading on the toes of those who disagree with our opinions. I often look at past history and cut some people a lot of slack... and other people no slack at all.

I, personally, would cut Elizabeth a lot of slack for her use of the term. I don't think she tosses those terms around loosely. Or at least not in my observation.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2014, 3:15am

Post #233 of 337 (8718 views)
Shortcut
Nice! Root beer for me, please. [In reply to] Can't Post

We playground monitors do appreciate some refreshment. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 3:21am

Post #234 of 337 (8743 views)
Shortcut
Seriously, I do feel people should relax a little... especially when you think about the Transformers [In reply to] Can't Post

Afterall, unlike the Decepticons and Autobots, the LotR and TH movies did not get Michael Bayed or have some similar tragedy inflicted on them. That is something to be thankful for.

And I am not saying this lightly. I grew up watching the Transformers cartoon, and I LOVED those robots. I was so looking forward to seeing a live-action movie on them. Yeah, the visuals were great, but since the first Bay Transformers, I have not watched any other Transformer movie. Yes, they are THAT bad. By comparison, even the cartoon series and the animated "Transformers: The Movie" (1986) are masterpieces. I wished time could be turned back and the Bay movies wiped out of existence, but keep the transformer visuals. Tongue

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Apr 25 2014, 3:22am)

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 3:25am

Post #235 of 337 (8732 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't care for the term either. Its one that can be as far as pop culture go fairly offensive.

It is. I know I try and fail at times with my own wording. I guess I've grown a little worn out with some of the ways people use certain terms.

I agree and I'm not really upset with her. I was actually surprised she would use a term like that to be honest especially when referring to it as selling out, which I totally disagree with.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 25 2014, 3:30am

Post #236 of 337 (8705 views)
Shortcut
The Turtles are next. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 3:34am

Post #237 of 337 (8697 views)
Shortcut
Transformers [In reply to] Can't Post

The Transformers movies have all been for me what I expected. So I haven't walked away upset with them. They're not gonna win oscars for acting or anything but I've found all of them enjoyable but the are just plain cheese flicks that you sit back and give yourself a brain break. I find nothing like that at all in the same universe when it comes to The Hobbit.

Imladris18
Lorien

Apr 25 2014, 3:35am

Post #238 of 337 (8696 views)
Shortcut
I think BotFA has the best chance to hit all those marks if the previous 2 have not done so for you yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2014, 3:36am

Post #239 of 337 (8702 views)
Shortcut
I knew what awaited the minute Bay's name was attached. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

At that moment, I knew that it wasn't going to really be a Transformer movie. It was going to be a Michael Bay movie loosely using the general story points of the Transformers as a template.

And that's exactly what we got. It was horrifying.

I have my issues with the execution of The Hobbit on film, but at least we didn't that level of epic disaster thrust upon us.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Apr 25 2014, 3:38am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 3:46am

Post #240 of 337 (8691 views)
Shortcut
I know! And I'm cringing... / / [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2014, 3:50am

Post #241 of 337 (8693 views)
Shortcut
I honestly wish fans of 80's cartoons could get some kind of legal injunction... [In reply to] Can't Post

...preventing Bay from getting his filthy hands on anymore of these beloved franchises. Frown Somebody has to stop him.

Sly

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 3:52am

Post #242 of 337 (8705 views)
Shortcut
The sad thing is, I wanted to see live-action transformers so much, I left all standards at the door [In reply to] Can't Post

And regretted it. I tried sitting through No 2 when it was on free-to-air broadcast, but nope, did not last 5 mins; not ever again will I watch one of these while they are under Bay. I cannot fathom how he can get to no 4 and still plans on 5 and 6? Crazy

Exactly. At least we got movie adaptations that the book-lovers can also enjoy without wanting to lynch PJ... well, at least for some of us Smile

I have my issues with the execution of The Hobbit on film, but at least we didn't that level of epic disaster thrust upon us.

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 25 2014, 4:05am

Post #243 of 337 (8692 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit: There and Back Again
The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies
The Hobbit: Into the Fire

I like The Battle of the Five Armies as a title more than just The Battle of Five Armies. Into the Fire would not have been a good girls. There and Back Again just didn't make sense for the third film.

There and Back Again will be perfect as the entire trilogy being The Hobbit: There and Back Again. I love that. Let's just face it:

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies is the title that makes the most sense.

Our destiny lies above us.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2014, 4:14am

Post #244 of 337 (8700 views)
Shortcut
Raise your hand if you feel like you overreacted a little bit at this news. *raises hand* [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush

Wow. I got quite snippy at PJ & the films in my earlier posts, didn't I? The Hobbit trilogy hasn't been all I'd hoped for, but I've quite enjoyed it (especially AUJ EE and DoS). Just goes to show how temper (today was a mess of incredible proportion for me) and negativity can lead to overreaction.

I don't care for the title, but what the hey - it's a title. The whole thing is The Hobbit: or There and Back Again anyway. So be it.

The best news of the day is definitely about the EE of DoS. I can't wait to see what was added back in (and what new music Shore has cooked up!). Though AUJ didn't have much added back in, IMO the theatrical cut already had some stuff that would typically have been saved for the EE. And now (er, since December that is), with the additions put back in, the film feels quite well balanced.

I'm hoping for some material that will slow down DoS a touch and allow some breathing room for character development. The film was a bit too breathless in spots (no doubt making up for the slower pace of AUJ). The film did have some poignant moments between characters, and I'd like to see that greatly expanded upon in the EE.

- Viggo Mortensen

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 4:30am

Post #245 of 337 (8669 views)
Shortcut
No worries! [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the post again, in case he did say that.

Understand you perfectly. Smile

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 4:55am

Post #246 of 337 (8653 views)
Shortcut
Congrats, dormouse!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear you've finished it! Can't wait to hear details when the time comes. Smile

morgul lord
Rivendell

Apr 25 2014, 5:37am

Post #247 of 337 (8706 views)
Shortcut
(Disappointed) thoughts on BOFA, BOTFA, and TABA... [In reply to] Can't Post

I won't get into it, but I thought There And Back Again was a perfect title. It was always my favourite of the 3 by far, and I couldn't wait... and now it'll never be called that.

But my main complaint is this extremely long, clunky title that doesn't roll off the tongue. The worst part is the extra "THE". I could probably get used to The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies (BOFA)... but The Hobbit: The Battle of THE Five Armies (BOTFA) is just ridiculously bad.

Also, please STOP saying how great it is that There And Back Again will be the title of the trilogy. Because I've got news for you... IT WON'T. No one will EVER call it that. It's already called The Hobbit trilogy, and that's what it will always be called. There And Back Again will not catch on, or become common usage. Nor does it appear as a subtitle on the screen. So at MOST, it might be printed on the box of a future box set. But no, There And Back Again will never become the title of the trilogy, except in maybe a technical official sense that no one ever says.

I generally trust PJ and give him the benefit of the doubt, and I'll get used to this eventually, but I honestly disagree with him this time. Despite his reasoning, I think he chose a much worse title.

(This post was edited by morgul lord on Apr 25 2014, 5:41am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2014, 5:49am

Post #248 of 337 (8672 views)
Shortcut
Opposite for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

For the longest time, I mistakenly thought the battle was called "The Battle of THE Five Armies". When I found out that I had added the extra "the" in my head, I was never able to adjust to saying it the correct way and it felt clunky to me. Cool Funny world, eh?

In point of fact, I would have preferred TABA as the title - but what's done is done. As for it never actually being used as a title for the trilogy - true enough, but everybody calls the book "The Hobbit" as well. "There and Back Again" is present on one of the opening pages, but I doubt many readers even register that honestly. To me, the trilogy will be The Hobbit, or There and Back Again - official or no. In the world according to me, it is so. Tongue

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Apr 25 2014, 5:56am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 7:03am

Post #249 of 337 (8630 views)
Shortcut
No, of course not [In reply to] Can't Post

But well, I did not expect the intensity of the mutation Bay did on... and the abject purile nature of the script. Well, yeah, I was not expecting any award winning moments, and I can leave my brain at the door as well as the next person and just enjoy the action, which I will admit, I did. But when my brain starts liquifying even when it's not in the theatre with me, that's a very big sign to bail.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 7:07am

Post #250 of 337 (8616 views)
Shortcut
I hear ya! / / [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.