Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
TORn AMATEUR SYMPOSIUM Day Seven: "Hurin's Stand: Applicability for an Addict," by Bow and Helm
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TORn Amateur Symposium
Bree

Apr 25 2014, 4:24am

Post #1 of 28 (1038 views)
Shortcut
TORn AMATEUR SYMPOSIUM Day Seven: "Hurin's Stand: Applicability for an Addict," by Bow and Helm Can't Post

Welcome to April 2014 TORn Amateur Symposium, the third TAS!

We are very pleased to present the next essay for TAS3:

Click here to view "Hurin's Stand: Applicability for an Addict," by Bow and Helm

Abstract

Through a life-altering event I found myself diving into Professor Tolkien’s Middle-earth mythology. I did not expect to find words that would speak into my situation; the applicability Tolkien wrote about. In this essay I explore Tolkien’s faërie-story themes of recovery, escape, and consolation through an autobiographical tale.

To view an essay, please click on the link above.

Our authors have written essays and analyses that are concerned, in some way, with the legendarium of John Ronald Reuel Tolkien. These essays may be philosophic opinions, scientific theories, or analytical approaches to understanding or highlighting some facet of Tolkien's writings and world. These pieces are written with the goal of amateur scholarship at their core - thus inspiring our Symposium title. Authors may choose to include citations or footnotes, but they are by no means required.

Keeping in mind "the dual spirit of enjoyment and inquiry" that we believe in (as much as we value cheer and song), and which is of paramount importance to both the TAS team and our authors, we fully encourage discussion of the essays presented. We hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy posting it. The TAS is open for discussion, and any comments, questions or thought you wish to share about this essay can be posted in this response to this thread.

We have quite a full schedule of essays - essays will posted every other day. The schedule can be found here.

So please, go forth and enjoy all of the works we have posted for this 2014 April Session. The entire TAS Team, (Elaen32, Brethil and DanielLB), is both delighted and proud to present the essays our TAS members have crafted, relating their interests and skills to the world of JRRT that we all love; a world most intricately crafted, and one that "takes hold of us, and never let's go."

Smile

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 9:52am

Post #2 of 28 (882 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for writing this remarkable and special piece [In reply to] Can't Post

This piece in itself is an story of courage, told well. Moreover, I very much appreciated the balance you have struck between your own story and Tolkien's.

Thank you for your analysis of Tolkien's three purposes of faerie stories, which you have made so clear and applicable. I also think you have dodged very effectively a couple of hazards in writing this piece - of getting tangled in allegory, and particularly the risk of appearing to simplify Tolkien into Christian allegory.

Reading through, I was initially surprised with your identification with (or understanding of) Hurin. 'Why Hurin?' I initially thought 'his story is so grim!' But you certainly cleared that up for me - partly because of your excellent summary of Hurin's story, and then of course because of your description of the effect it had on you.

It caused me to think about Hurin in contrast to his son Turin (the TAS has just been discussing Turn in response to Steven Umbrello's TAS piece about him http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=734957#734957 I was thinking that your comments on Hurin pick up rather neatly from this Turin discussion:

Turin, we all seem to agree, has character faults. One could argue (at one extreme) that these are the main cause of his problems or (at the other extreme) that they are the working out of the Curse. I think we mostly felt that it was a feature of Turin's story that the reader is left to wonder and perhaps decide. Hurin, however, does not seem to have notable character flaws - he is highly admirable and noble (as you point out so well in this essay). So - is Hurin the non-cursed 'control experiment' we were semi-seriously discussing in the previous thread? That is, is Hurin what Turin might have been without the cursing? Almost certainly it can't be settled, but it seems fun to think about. Or is the interesting contrast that Hurin battles external enemies without wavering, whereas (to an extent the reader is left to decide) Turin is battling internal ones?

Another thought if I may (at risk of writing far too much in my excitement about your essay):

You give an excellent account of what I think Tolkien called the 'Theory of Courage' (now where did he call it that?) and saw as one of the great virtues of the old pagan North. It's something I've found very 'applicable' to (though doubtless in less challenging straits than you have faced!). I also know it by its martial arts name, 'Indomitable Spirit' (at least, it seems to me that they are the same idea or closely related: here's something about Indomitable Spirit http://stacigrove.com/.../indomitable-spirit/). Something we see everywhere in Tolkien. The heroes of LOTR fight a war which seems hopeless (and will end in diminishment either way, if you are an elf). But they do it anyway, because it is the right thing to do. - Fingolfin is killed but, in a very real sense, vanquished (though in Fingolfin's case maybe some more common sense would have been good alongside the Indomitable Spirit.)

Thanks once again for writing this!!

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 10:15am

Post #3 of 28 (896 views)
Shortcut
Hurin's torture, and palantirs [In reply to] Can't Post

A further excited thought, sparked by this essay:

"'Therefore with my eyes you shall see, and with my ears you shall hear, and nothing shall be hidden from you'"

(Morgoth to Hurin p. 65, The Children of Hurin).

I'd imagined that Hurin's problem is that he then watched helplessly in completely faithful HD as all the carnage of The Children of Hurin goes on.

But now I see you could emphasise the 'my ' as in 'Therefore with my eyes you shall see...." I'm imagining a corrupted vision here: maybe a bit like Sauron's corruption of the palantirs (true events but in a propaganda hghlights reel), or maybe viewing reality through Morgoth's pathological conciousness, rather than with his super-human vision?

Ugh! Creepily sadistic any of these ways - I'm not sure which is meant, or which would be the worse doom.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here for the imminent read-through of the Children of Hurin (schedule: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=727325#727325 )..but I'm confident that we'll not run out of things to discuss!

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 12:10pm

Post #4 of 28 (871 views)
Shortcut
A deeply relevant essay Bow and Helm [In reply to] Can't Post

First, thank you for sharing this with us. Especially with its deeply personal insights. Angelic

I am intrigued by your turn of phrase - 'violent persistence', with Hurin's stand being your literary anchor. An amazing example of applicability to take the wording and spirit of the bloodied yet unbowed warrior and apply it to an enterprise of healing, and so ultimately inner peace. Many 'allegories' are bi-directional, which perhaps gives them an air of ... artificiality? Trying to reconcile two times and places with 'sameness' which may not apply equally. Yet in your piece the bringing of Middle-earth into real-world thoughts is unidirectional; not a statement not on addiction in Middle-earth, but an example of how the spirit of Middle-earth can exist, quite real, in our time, for each of us in a different way. Real, worthwhile battles to be fought in the manner of the heroes of legend - in this case JRRT's view of the legends of the North brought forward.

The entire applicability concept is one we have discussed here before, but your delineation gives it such relevance; and in the way it provided you with a framework to make life changes, its importance and value are timeless.

The Third TORn Amateur Symposium kicks off this Sunday, April 13th, in the Reading Room. Come and join us for Tolkien-inspired writings!

**CoH Rem. Just sayin' **

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 12:16pm

Post #5 of 28 (866 views)
Shortcut
An neat little twist of phrase [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
A further excited thought, sparked by this essay:

"'Therefore with my eyes you shall see, and with my ears you shall hear, and nothing shall be hidden from you'"

(Morgoth to Hurin p. 65, The Children of Hurin).

I'd imagined that Hurin's problem is that he then watched helplessly in completely faithful HD as all the carnage of The Children of Hurin goes on.

But now I see you could emphasise the 'my ' as in 'Therefore with my eyes you shall see...." I'm imagining a corrupted vision here: maybe a bit like Sauron's corruption of the palantirs (true events but in a propaganda hghlights reel), or maybe viewing reality through Morgoth's pathological conciousness, rather than with his super-human vision?

Ugh! Creepily sadistic any of these ways - I'm not sure which is meant, or which would be the worse doom.

We know well, and academically, about the psychological view and how it shapes perception. Shakespeare chatted about it way back when, with mere thinking making something good or ill. And it never stood out to me as clearly as now, with Bow and Helm highlighting it: the little phrase 'with my eyes.' Indeed creepily sadistic, as the darkly immortal insights of Morgoth are not for the faint of heart. The thought of Hurin, in his chair, viewing all through Morgoth's filter (and there we have the 'filter' concept again, very apropo) is a level of spiritual torture that I had not fully appreciated until now.

And a great early parallel to how Sauron would later corrupt the unknowing Denethor, also in is chair, seeing the visions that the Enemy desired him too, form the Enemy's POV. (A bit Promethian flavor in punishment there, in Hurin and Denethor: bound in place, subject to daily inner torture of the deepest kind.)

The Third TORn Amateur Symposium kicks off this Sunday, April 13th, in the Reading Room. Come and join us for Tolkien-inspired writings!

**CoH Rem. Just sayin' **

(This post was edited by Brethil on Apr 25 2014, 12:17pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2014, 12:41pm

Post #6 of 28 (876 views)
Shortcut
Wow! (Warning: Long Post) [In reply to] Can't Post

Just wow! At the risk of sounding repetitive, I must say that word again, WOW!

Now that we have the knee-jerk reaction out of the way, I will attempt to coherently post some of my thoughts in some small imitation of your eloquence and honesty.

Reading this piece, I must confess, I did not know what to expect at first. '...Applicability for an addict'? 'Is this going to compare Hurin/Turin's pride to a drug?' 'How much can you write about Hurin?' 'Is it going to be a nine-step kind of thing?' Those were the questions in my mind as I began, but the reality was truly stranger and more wonderful.

First, let me appreciate the honesty in your piece, there is no small amount of courage nor integrity needed to write, let alone share, such a personal story. I do believe that it will help many, because you have been able to focus your piece on the personal cycle of a fall, despair, realisation, and recovery, with an emphasis on the recovery and path to noble virtues that one must choose to take, rather than the depths of despair. For those who read your paper, they will see the grace of redemption at the fore, where it should be, while those who thrive on the salacious details of scandal and failure will be disappointed, and hopefully, a little weaned of that desire.

Second, I do appreciate the personal ownership you have taken of your life. This point may flow out of the first, but I think it needs saying. You have taken complete responsibility for your actions without any quibbling. You realise your faults, but take positive action to resist them. At the same time, you also acknowledge the external factors in your life--both for good and ill. This gives an overall tone of balance to your story that may be lacking in that of Turin. We see the distinction of your responsibility and the forces beyond your control, and how you weave them together into a lucid picture of causality. We see the heroes and the villains clearly, and because of that, we can assign praise and blame to the correct parties. (Not necessarily different people) You give us a true account of despair and doubt resolved into hope, and show us that though it may seem hopeless and mistakes must be paid for, there is a better path to tread filled with rich blessings of virtue.

You also raise many interesting points--one of them being, what I will call, the 'final choice'. You came to a point where, looking back, you can see there was a decision to be made--a decision fraught with grave consequences, though you may not have realised it at the time. At that point, so like to Hurin's last stand, you too chose the harder, and, perhaps, the seemingly illogical path. 'What good would it do?' as you say Hurin might have asked. The immediate consequences were harmful and counter-intuitive--prolonging the struggle, adding to pain, and guaranteeing suffering and humiliation. I think that we all have these kinds of life-changing decisions every once in a while. We may not recognise them at the time, and making the easier choice may have no worse effects than maintaining the current status quo, but for all that, we still miss the heights of virtue, honour, and glory. (I mean these in an unselfish way, not in the manner of a glory-hound or proudly-humble pious snob.) I will take encouragement from your story and confirmation that the path of nobility leads to a good end. It will hearten me, and others as we tread the sod of this weary world. You took ownership of your life, paid the price of humility for the mistakes, and now have purchased a greater lesson, and I thank you for sharing it.

Undoubtedly, there is much more to this tale, and your paper far from encapsulates it all, as you confess, but your self-stated aim has been fulfilled. It would be easy to pick holes in your application of the story (another fascinating point which I have not the time to touch upon now), but by focusing on the positive and noble elements, you have crafted a tale of poignant joy and bittersweet happiness come from the darkness where none had existed. It takes a tale of woe and misery, yet finds the possibility of hope and redemption to which we can cling with a desperate strength. Good has come from Evil, and isn't that the essence of Eucotastrophe?

I wish I had more time and ability to expound at length upon the numerous things to be gained in contemplation of this essay, but I do not. I will not despair though, because there is hope in this tale of strife. You have imbued this story with some of the same qualities of the dear Professor's writings--timeless truths, honesty, and applicability. The lessons are there, we only need look deeper, and I sincerely hope that as we read, (and perhaps, re-read) your words, we will be looking for them.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

(This post was edited by Rembrethil on Apr 25 2014, 12:52pm)

Bow&Helm
The Shire

Apr 25 2014, 12:47pm

Post #7 of 28 (862 views)
Shortcut
Indomitable Spirit [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your kind words. I was really hoping to find that balance between my story and Tolkien's and am glad to hear it came across as such.

I enjoy your thoughts of Húrin and Túrin. I myself am undecided as to what Túrin would have been without the curse--perhaps the curse expounded his character flaws? I have found myself comparing Túrin and his cousin Tuor as a possible look at an uncursed, if you will, Túrin.

Thanks for thoughts on the Theory of Courage/Indomitable Spirit--I think they work well for what I was trying to communicate, without necessarily knowing I was trying to communicate it as I wrote! If you discover where Tolkien wrote about such thoughts please pass them along!

www.middleearthinayear.blogspot.com

Bow&Helm
The Shire

Apr 25 2014, 12:52pm

Post #8 of 28 (849 views)
Shortcut
A Sadistic Doom Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, throughout the whole Children of Húrin saga I feel an uncomfortableness as I read. I think this quote is helpful to your post: "Unhappy was the lot of Húrin; for all that Morgoth knew of the working of his malice Húrin knew also, but lies were mingled with the truth, and aught that was good was hidden or distorted. In all ways Morgoth sought most to cast an evil light on those things that Thingol and Melian had done, for he hated them, and feared them" (p. 227, The Silmarillion)."

Bow&Helm

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 12:55pm

Post #9 of 28 (947 views)
Shortcut
Theory of Courage [In reply to] Can't Post

found it! In his 1936 lecture "Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics" (which I haven't yet read):

J.R.R. Tolkien identified in his 1936 lecture "Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics" a "Northern 'theory of courage'"—the heroic or "virtuous pagan" insistence to do the right thing even in the face of certain defeat without promise of reward or salvation:

“ It is the strength of the northern mythological imagination that it faced this problem, put the monsters in the centre, gave them victory but no honour, and found a potent and terrible solution in naked will and courage. 'As a working theory absolutely impregnable.' So potent is it, that while the older southern imagination has faded forever into literary ornament, the northern has power, as it were, to revive its spirit even in our own times. It can work, as it did even with the goðlauss Viking, without gods: martial heroism as its own end."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courage

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Apr 25 2014, 12:55pm)

Bow&Helm
The Shire

Apr 25 2014, 1:12pm

Post #10 of 28 (844 views)
Shortcut
Re: A deeply relevant essay [In reply to] Can't Post

The more I read Tolkien's Middle-earth mythology the more intersections in my life I discover. It's why I can't quite put these stories down and try to explain to those around me how powerful they are; or as you eloquently stated it: "an example of how the spirit of Middle-earth can exist, quite real, in our time, for each of us in a different way."

I am glad to have shared with you, messiness and all. I hope that others can use this essay as a springboard for finding applicability (if they have not already done so) in their own lives while reading Tolkien. There are many other great stories and characters to draw upon.

Bow&Helm
The Shire

Apr 25 2014, 1:17pm

Post #11 of 28 (843 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's good to know. I will have to check that out. I'm currently making my way through the Histories of Middle-earth (that's been a good sort of challenge for me)--so perhaps Monsters & Critics will be next.

Khim
Bree

Apr 25 2014, 2:22pm

Post #12 of 28 (858 views)
Shortcut
Addicted to Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for posting such a powerful example of the collision of fantasy with reality. Truth can be stranger than fiction, and fiction can sometimes be truth. Although my awakening into the Middle-earth phenomenon was quite different from yours, I believe we share a common bond, and I also believe we are not alone. I entered puberty in the 1970s, struggling with angst, LOTR inculcated fundamental truths to me I failed to absorb via religious doctrine and practice. In a previous thread in this TAS I tried to communicate a little about my personal thoughts on this matter. In myriad ways Tolkien’s life’s work can and has changed lives.

Your piece has caused others to voice ideas that occurred to me and others that did not, and I am sure the discussion will prove both lively and informative. Rather than dive in on the speculative literary side, I will relate a personal anecdote regarding our shared passion for these works. Since I caught the Tolkien bug in the 70s I have kept up with the efforts of Christopher as they appear. I read Unfinished Tales for the first time over 30 years ago, and when I attended that mythology class with the renowned Verlyn Flieger in 1986 I told her something that she understood very well, [paraphrased], “When the manuscript ‘Of Tour and His Coming to Gondolin’ abruptly ended, I wept. I wept for the beauty of the tale being told as much as for the fact that in that mode no more would ever exist by Tolkien’s hand.” To many LOTR is impenetrable, to say nothing of The Sil, and the HoME; I reiterate how thankful I am that I still enjoy and learn from these works, and from the wealth of criticism they continue to inspire.

Finally, I’d like to throw out something that occurs to me in the aforementioned criticism regarding addiction. It may behoove you, like Gandalf, to sort through the dusty tomes of Gondor, or your local library, but here is a tantalizing mention cast upon the immeasurable seas of the Webby Intertubes:

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/One_Ring:

A different way to look at this question is to ask what gives the idea of the Ring its power as a story element, without considering whether it was intended as a symbol for any one thing. The notion of a power too great for humans to wield safely is an evocative one, and already in the 1930s there were plenty of technologies available to make people think of that idea. The lure and effect of the Ring and its physical and spiritual after-effects on Bilbo and Frodo are obsessions that can be compared with drug addiction, for which the Ring serves as a powerful metaphor.

I am Khim akin to Mim.

ajgetway
The Shire

Apr 25 2014, 3:53pm

Post #13 of 28 (835 views)
Shortcut
A Powerful Essay [In reply to] Can't Post

First, it does take strength to share a deeply personal story with essentially a bunch of strangers, so thank you.

Second, I have also always been interested in the "applicability" of Tolkien. And also his view on Faerie stories. We all look to heroes and it was interesting to find out who yours is and why.

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 4:54pm

Post #14 of 28 (840 views)
Shortcut
Aure Entuluva! [In reply to] Can't Post

B&H, it takes true courage to write and share this story, and to live your life. I salute you, sir.
Fight on, and do not despair.
But if you do, then, fight on in despair!

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Bow&Helm
The Shire

Apr 25 2014, 5:16pm

Post #15 of 28 (815 views)
Shortcut
Tuor: what could have been [In reply to] Can't Post

Khîm,

What great experiences--thanks for sharing a little of how you became addicted to Tolkien.

I can relate, too well, about your experience of Tuor and his coming to Gondolin. I wanted that story to keep going. Recently I read the Fall of Gondolin in the Book of Lost Tales, part two. A powerful story and the thought of what it could have ended up being when coupled with Tuor's journey to and arrival at Gondolin makes me weep.

Kudos for the use of Webby Intertubes--I don't believe I've heard that before. I may just need to break that out one day!

Bow&Helm
The Shire

Apr 25 2014, 5:19pm

Post #16 of 28 (823 views)
Shortcut
Day shall come again! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you.

Even in despair I seek to remember that day shall come again.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 5:42pm

Post #17 of 28 (814 views)
Shortcut
Great essay, Bow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your courage in sharing it in addition to all the obvious thought and care you put into writing it.

I have a question for you: do you think of Frodo's journey with the Ring as a story of struggling against addiction, since it tempts him so frequently and with increasing intensity? Or is it better to avoid that context since he ultimately succumbed it? There are readers who say that Frodo failed, but Tolkien defended him as a mortal saddled with a supernatural burden that no mortal could overcome, and his success was that he lasted as long as he did, and I prefer Tolkien's own, more merciful vision to the more judgmental interpretation that some people have. I think of Frodo, Hurin, and Fingolfin all tackling monsters beyond their personal potential to conquer, and what is admirable in all of them is that they tried.

Khim
Bree

Apr 25 2014, 6:42pm

Post #18 of 28 (805 views)
Shortcut
One day at a time [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's the AA motto, but I'm not sure. In any event I think it relates significantly to the question of whether Frodo succeeded in his mission. Despite his burden he endeavored to persevere, a bit like Little Big Man, and in his struggle he empathized with Smeagol. If not for Frodo's daily efforts on behalf of the mission and his willingness to hope for Smeagol's redemption, the final act by Gollum, the inadvertent success, would not have been possible. With a little help from his friends and enemies, Frodo got the job done. His moment of failure I believe must be forgiven, considering all that went before.

FYI
A scene from Little Big Man (as always I'd suggest reading the book instead)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwgnDn8ez9g

I am Khim akin to Mim.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 7:16pm

Post #19 of 28 (795 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, mercy was key to Frodo's ultimate success [In reply to] Can't Post

While Frodo technically "failed" by giving in to the Ring at the end, it was crucial that he spared Gollum's life and did his best to rehabilitate him. Without Gollum, the quest would have failed, so it wasn't just the pity of Bilbo ruling the fate of many, it was Frodo's too (and Sam's, since he could have killed him on Mt Doom but also felt pity; Sam was following Frodo's example). There was a triumph of the Frodo's good over evil in the final scorebook that trumps his technical foul at the finish line.

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 25 2014, 7:26pm

Post #20 of 28 (790 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo was the "Ringbearer", not the "Ringdestroyer".

Despite all adversity he bore the ring to where it was supposed to go. That's a win..

https://www.facebook.com/slatesforsarah

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 7:47pm

Post #21 of 28 (804 views)
Shortcut
Wonderfully written, Bow&Helm. [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved to see your thoughts on Húrin, and how his story affected yours. Tolkien really was incredible.

Sorry I don't have more to say, but know that I really enjoyed your essay.

(This post was edited by cats16 on Apr 25 2014, 7:48pm)

Bow&Helm
The Shire

Apr 26 2014, 5:48pm

Post #22 of 28 (766 views)
Shortcut
Great Question CuriousG [In reply to] Can't Post

I do think Frodo's journey is very relevant when considering addiction. I would say the Ring itself shows addictive qualities (see Gollum and Bilbo).

I think I would lean more with you and Tolkien when evaluating Frodo's journey. It's rather amazing he lasted as long as he did. There's something about Hobbits! But, on a more serious note--for a long time I thought perhaps I would wake up one morning and my struggles would be disappear.

Perhaps for some folks that's true. But I've come to grips, in my life, that there have been and may still be moments of temptation and even failure. I think that's why I latched on to Húrin. No one would have blamed him if he stopped fighting. But his violent persistence really inspired me to be more diligent in my own life even if the odds (or temptations better said) seem insurmountable.

Bow&Helm
The Shire

Apr 26 2014, 5:50pm

Post #23 of 28 (763 views)
Shortcut
Well Said. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Khim and CuriousG!

Bow&Helm
The Shire

Apr 26 2014, 5:56pm

Post #24 of 28 (764 views)
Shortcut
Gratitude [In reply to] Can't Post

Rembrethil,

I've read your response several times now. My purpose in sharing my story is that others may be encouraged so your words are like rain to a thirsty field; so thank you.

elaen32
Gondor

Apr 27 2014, 8:56pm

Post #25 of 28 (752 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much for this courageous and inspiring essay [In reply to] Can't Post

When you first approached us about the topic of your essay and its very personal application to your life, I was a little apprehensive as to what aspect of addiction you would be looking at. I need not have worried- you have written this in a way which is ( I hope) cathartic for you and an inspiration to others. How many of us have found refuge in Tolkien's work at some time or another? Quite a few I would guess. I know I certainly have and I like the way that you have incorporated Tolkien's description of the purposes of Fairy Stories. My personal view of the Middle- earth tales is that they are very spiritual stories, certainly influenced by Christian doctrine, without being analogous to it. As you say, one can certainly cite characters whose self sacrifice is perhaps inspired by the Christian story eg Gandalf, Aragorn, Frodo, even Earendil and Elwing, but none of these are really allegorical representations of Christ.

I am so glad that you managed to turn your life around and also that you have shared your experiences with us. Keep fighting the good fight!Smile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in April. Happy writing!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.