Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which Film 3 title do you prefer?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Which Film 3 title do you prefer?
There and Back Again
The Battle of the Five Armies
View Results (73 votes)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 3:45am

Post #1 of 28 (588 views)
Shortcut
Which Film 3 title do you prefer? Can't Post

Lots of reactions going on over on the hobbit board. Let's see which name is more prefered among us posters. (Is it "us posters" or "we posters"? I never can remember. Angelic)

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 25 2014, 4:32am

Post #2 of 28 (415 views)
Shortcut
BoFA [In reply to] Can't Post

Though "Gold Diggers of 2941" has a nice, er, ring to it.

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Apr 25 2014, 4:35am)

cats16
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 5:03am

Post #3 of 28 (401 views)
Shortcut
Perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the late night laugh. That one was especially good. Laugh

(Recently saw some of the actual Gold Diggers film. Interesting. I'd like to see the entire thing!)

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 25 2014, 5:30am

Post #4 of 28 (395 views)
Shortcut
I love those movies! [In reply to] Can't Post

Busby Berkeley's production numbers are the true stars.

There are five films in the series, though the first is, tragically, lost.

The second film, Gold Diggers of 1933, is pre-Production Code and so for the full cut of the film the dance numbers, the costumes, and indeed the whole movie, are quite risqué.

(But different versions were edited and toned down for the more prudish sections of the country, so check which one you're watching.)

It's so delightful when someone actually gets one of my off-the-cuff references like that! Thank you!

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 25 2014, 6:52am

Post #5 of 28 (426 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. [In reply to] Can't Post

Both titles work fine. Both titles are catchy, and both represent what happens in the story. Neither title does a better job than the other, in my opinion. Had the third film always been named The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, then there would never have been a problem.

I was just shocked that they *did* change the title. I never thought the news from last week would be true.

Sure, I have my preference. But then again, I'd prefer a different title for the second Hobbit film as well.

cats16
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 7:24am

Post #6 of 28 (384 views)
Shortcut
Risqué, indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Always sad to hear of a film being lost. Even scarier that we still don't have archiving abilities that surpass celluloid (time will tell!).

Sure thing! I know the feeling of being genuinely delighted when someone picks up a reference I've made.

I think one of my top TORn-goals is to gradually identify as many of your references as possible. A tough task, I must say!

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 7:36am

Post #7 of 28 (379 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit with the Dragon Tattoo. // [In reply to] Can't Post

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 25 2014, 11:36am

Post #8 of 28 (376 views)
Shortcut
It depends on what you mean. [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer the name TaBA in general. But for the third film, I like BoFA more.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 12:25pm

Post #9 of 28 (375 views)
Shortcut
First of all: nice to see you Ardamire! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, as far as title, I do like the Armies one. Its more of a description of the 'segmented' view we get with the 3-way split. But, my title of choice would be, "The Hobbit: Where Thorin Doesn't Die, and Instead Lives Happily Ever After With a Self-Described Ranger Chick From an Alternate Universe, Who Also Has Medical Skills."

Rolls off the tongue really.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2014, 1:00pm

Post #10 of 28 (391 views)
Shortcut
I believe it is 'us posters' [In reply to] Can't Post

'We' is most used as a subject of a sentence, and 'us' as an object (of a preposition in this case).

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 2:28pm

Post #11 of 28 (351 views)
Shortcut
Reminds me of Dave Barry's A Sort of History of the US [In reply to] Can't Post

In which he has Thomas Jefferson, quill in hand, asking "now would that be 'us the people' or 'we the people'? Laugh

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 25 2014, 2:42pm

Post #12 of 28 (357 views)
Shortcut
After much thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to admit that There and Back Again would have worked better as the final title when there were only two films. I still hope to see The Hobbit, or There and Back Again on the collection of the trilogy.

Patty
Immortal

Apr 25 2014, 6:26pm

Post #13 of 28 (317 views)
Shortcut
I believe you are correct. Leave the word "posters" off. [In reply to] Can't Post

That tells you.

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 6:40pm

Post #14 of 28 (314 views)
Shortcut
Same [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand that we will all have our choices. I mean I prefer TABA as a whole but I don't see what the big deal is. The Hobbit: BOFA still reads and sounds pretty cool. As long as the content is on par with the previous films both LOTR/Hobbit then I'm gonna be just fine. Besides the box set will still have TABA, which I think will look cool when setting on the shelf. I'm like you though and more shocked this late in the game they would go about changing things.

cats16
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 7:52pm

Post #15 of 28 (299 views)
Shortcut
*win* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 8:04pm

Post #16 of 28 (303 views)
Shortcut
Agreed about DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never liked it for a title, and after seeing the film, it didn't really make much sense. Hopefully there will actually be more of the desolation in the EE.

I don't really like BOFA as the new title for film 3, but I do agree that "There and Back Again" didn't really fit anymore after the trilogy decision.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 8:12pm

Post #17 of 28 (295 views)
Shortcut
Agree with this [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought TABA was perfect when there were only two films, but it seemed a little odd once "The Desolation of Smaug" got thrown in between.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 8:13pm

Post #18 of 28 (295 views)
Shortcut
That would have been my preferred title! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Good to see you, too!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 8:15pm

Post #19 of 28 (292 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it might be one of those weird English things, such as "If I were doing such-and-such..." rather than "If I was..."

English is weird Tongue

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 8:15pm

Post #20 of 28 (289 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to see that, too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 8:20pm

Post #21 of 28 (286 views)
Shortcut
Love that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2014, 8:36pm

Post #22 of 28 (285 views)
Shortcut
Revenge of the Jedi... [In reply to] Can't Post

was my choic.........oops...wrong poll...

Dwarewien
Rohan

Apr 25 2014, 10:16pm

Post #23 of 28 (277 views)
Shortcut
Would you be referring to yourself there, Brethil? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But, my title of choice would be, "The Hobbit: Where Thorin Doesn't Die, and Instead Lives Happily Ever After With a Self-Described Ranger Chick From an Alternate Universe, Who Also Has Medical Skills."

Just curious, but just remember, I'm not known as the Queen of Erebor for nothing.Wink

Back on topic, either title would be just fine with me, since it's just a name. I think There and Back Again is a better title for the entire Hobbit trilogy, rather than just a single movie, so I can see why they changed it. Also, due to the fact that Bilbo's technically already "there", it didn't make much sense to keep it. I like BoFA better than Into the Fire, since that title sounds too close to the end credits song from DoS (I See Fire, which I've never had a problem with, but it did take me a while to get used to). It would also be a bit confusing to us followers of Thorin who are also Armitage fans (thanks to a certain prequel trilogy, or at least it was with me), due to the fact that one of his upcoming movies is entitled Into the Storm.Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 26 2014, 12:05am

Post #24 of 28 (260 views)
Shortcut
Hee hee...! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree - I like TABA as a 'set title'. I would guess SPJ is maybe placing each title as maybe Bilbo's 'challenge' in each film (?) And since they are sort of 'set pieces' I don't mind more singular titles.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 26 2014, 12:45am

Post #25 of 28 (252 views)
Shortcut
(((thanks my dear!)))) // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.