Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
HUGE Announcement from Peter Jackson's facebook page TITLE CHANGE AND DOS EE
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 24 2014, 8:07pm

Post #126 of 337 (10417 views)
Shortcut
Wow that's incredibly harsh. [In reply to] Can't Post

Way too harsh. It's a freaking name of a film. Relax.

Our destiny lies above us.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2014, 8:09pm

Post #127 of 337 (10395 views)
Shortcut
As a matter of fact, I do find the small and innocent tale of Bilbo the Hobbit to be intelligent, emotional, and dramatic. [In reply to] Can't Post

As for using the word epic, most people misuse the word epic these days to mean "big, gargantuan, etc.". But Bilbo's journey is an epic, in the traditional sense of the word.

But PJ's Hobbit films adhere to the modern sensibilities of "big" films - turn everything into an action sequence with lots and lots of CGI (the biggest offender being the DoS Erebor finale).

It was absolutely possible to maintain the heart and emotion of his LotR films while stylistically adhering to Tolkien's smaller tale.

Again, this makes it sound like I hate the films. I don't at all (my DoS review is practically a rave) - I've just had to adapt my expectations.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 8:10pm

Post #128 of 337 (10408 views)
Shortcut
Since the opening prologue of FOTR? [In reply to] Can't Post

A last alliance of Men and Elves marched against the armies of Mordor and on the slopes of Mount Doom they fought for the freedom of Middle-earth.

Jackson hasn't changed anymore than Lucas has.

It's we who've changed from innocent wide-eyed acceptance of first-time wonder to cynical critique of things that aren't like we remember them.

Excuse me....

ALL YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!! AND GET OFF CAPTAIN SALT'S LAWN TOO!!!!

Now where were we?

https://www.facebook.com/slatesforsarah

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Apr 24 2014, 8:18pm)

LadyEmmaE
Bree

Apr 24 2014, 8:12pm

Post #129 of 337 (10380 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds very promising. Can't wait for the EE to be released! Smile

Avandel
Half-elven

Post #130 of 337 (10377 views)
Shortcut
Agree about the general public [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't think to many "There and Back Again" would register - but love the idea of that being the name of a 3-box edition and love the idea even more that PJ is THINKING about (hope) a deluxe set (LOL - Can it really be true? Has the Lord of Middle Earth films really planned for my-dreamed of super-director-cut-deluxe-edition, sometime in the future? I can hope!Tongue)

Yes, a deluxe 3-set (or 6, bundled w. LOTR) nestled into a carved wooden case, with a high-res booklet of photographs and a figure of my choice created by WETA (Thorin, for me). And all the disks w. actual images instead of just plain.

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

BlackFox
Half-elven

Post #131 of 337 (10387 views)
Shortcut
I leave the web for a few hours and all hell breaks loose! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I must admit I'd grown fond of "There And Back Again", but I also feel I'm warming up to "The Battle of the Five Armies" more and more with every minute that goes by. After all, it's the contents of the film that really matters.

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Apr 24 2014, 8:16pm)

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 24 2014, 8:15pm

Post #132 of 337 (10353 views)
Shortcut
Alright [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard some fans has flipped out a bit over the title change? I liked "There and Back Again", but it's just a title.

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 8:17pm

Post #133 of 337 (10362 views)
Shortcut
Yep, LOTR-Lite [In reply to] Can't Post

It's what people wanted, it's what people got.

Only a few of us really wanted The Hobbit. Only a few of us wanted the tra-la-lally Elves or talking purses or animals serving food on their hind legs or speaking ravens.

"Wouldn't fit in with the LOTR movies" most people said.

So they got what they wanted and now they complain.

Sheesh....

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 24 2014, 8:20pm

Post #134 of 337 (10349 views)
Shortcut
Beautifully said, bravo [In reply to] Can't Post

"It's not really fair to label PJ a Lucas when the source material changes between films in the way it does. Many like to claim that there's no heart or substance to the Hobbit movies, but I personally see a lot of heart and substance, perhaps even more than the book offers."

There's a reason the Hobbit sat on the shelf when I re-read LOTR roughly once a year. That's not to say there isn't a lot of depth to be found it the Hobbit, but for me it wasn't something I needed to revisit often, and there was a reason I was fairly indifferent when the news came that the Hobbit would be turned into a film.

Now the Hobbit is my favorite movie group, and I'm astounded what PJ & co. were able to build, flesh out, expand on. And the Hobbit book will always be on my shelves (can't say that for any number of books that are slated for a trip to the thrift store). A magical book, and magical films drawn from that book.

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2014, 8:20pm

Post #135 of 337 (10355 views)
Shortcut
And the quality of debate/conversation [In reply to] Can't Post

on the boards has kind-of followed the quality of the films.

Did I mention PJ "changing anything"? I believe my exact phrases were "creative bankruptcy" and lack of artistic integrity, ETC, making the movies the anti-LotR in terms of narrative, characterization, and general quality. Nowhere I did list the general purist complaints. But nice strawman, again.

"Not tall, but broad and grim...wielding great axes. Out of some savage land in the wide East they come, we deem."

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2014, 8:21pm

Post #136 of 337 (10360 views)
Shortcut
People have been accusing PJ of turning everything into an action scene since LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

In parts Hobbit actually does emanate heart and emotion, more so than the book, but the source material just doesn't offer that much in that regard, at least not until the end.

I feel like sometimes people are seeing the book through rose colored glasses.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2014, 8:25pm

Post #137 of 337 (10340 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...since I just read the book a couple months ago, I would disagree with the rose colored glasses comment. So I'll just agree to disagree on what the book offers.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 24 2014, 8:27pm

Post #138 of 337 (10344 views)
Shortcut
Exaggeration,Overreaction, [In reply to] Can't Post

Hybris,Cynicism and nothing more.I did mention these "virtues" before and it is funny how quickly and easily can be applied to some opinions here.

IT'S ONLY A TITLE.Crazy

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2014, 8:28pm

Post #139 of 337 (10329 views)
Shortcut
If you begin your conversation with a post like yours... [In reply to] Can't Post

... you should have expected some of the reactions you got.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 8:34pm

Post #140 of 337 (10317 views)
Shortcut
I think so too. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And the quality of debate/conversation on the boards has kind-of followed the quality of the films.

The quality of the conversation across the boards has *risen*, hasn't it?

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Apr 24 2014, 8:38pm)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2014, 8:36pm

Post #141 of 337 (10296 views)
Shortcut
LOL! Yeah, it's verboten to post anything [In reply to] Can't Post

other than the usual hyperbole about TH films being the greatest achievement in the history of cinema.

"Not tall, but broad and grim...wielding great axes. Out of some savage land in the wide East they come, we deem."

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 8:37pm

Post #142 of 337 (10276 views)
Shortcut
Did I mention you mentioning PJ "Changing anything"? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And the quality of debate/conversation on the boards has kind-of followed the quality of the films.

Did I mention PJ "changing anything"? I believe my exact phrases were "creative bankruptcy" and lack of artistic integrity, ETC, making the movies the anti-LotR in terms of narrative, characterization, and general quality. Nowhere I did list the general purist complaints. But nice strawman, again.

You said:

How long has it been since creative bankruptcy caught you, Peter?

I replied:

Jackson hasn't changed....

You then replied:

Did I mention PJ "changing anything"?

No you didn't, and I didn't say you did.

Is it really too much to ask for you to actually READ my post before your respond to it?

Misquoting is a fallacy as well.

And reading comprehension is a virtue.

If you're just going to make up stuff and say I said it, do you really need me in this discussion? Maybe I could save time and just let you argue with yourself!

(I can hardly wait to see what you say I said next!)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2014, 8:37pm

Post #143 of 337 (10262 views)
Shortcut
Seemingly not, as your "question" was just posted as a "statement". // [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 8:39pm

Post #144 of 337 (10267 views)
Shortcut
This is what you call irony. / [In reply to] Can't Post

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 24 2014, 8:40pm

Post #145 of 337 (10287 views)
Shortcut
A bit of hyperbole here isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never ever seen a post claiming that the Hobbit films are what you describe.I wonder where that..."usual" derives from.Oh wait...Cool

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Post #146 of 337 (10254 views)
Shortcut
There's a big gap... [In reply to] Can't Post

...between greatest achievement in the history of cinema and creative bankruptcy, don't you think?

Your post was not a quality post that you seem to demand of others.

tsmith675
Gondor

Post #147 of 337 (10259 views)
Shortcut
I was wondering what he was referring to, as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know if he was replying to you, or someone else; I wasn't sure. He's getting all picky about the discussion on this board going downhill, and it basically seems like he's just picking fights. That's not very kindly, if you ask me.

Our destiny lies above us.

Imladris18
Lorien

Apr 24 2014, 8:41pm

Post #148 of 337 (10270 views)
Shortcut
It's almost like he straw man'd all of TORN. [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Haven't seen this much passion in a while. It's kinda intense.

(This post was edited by Imladris18 on Apr 24 2014, 8:42pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 24 2014, 8:42pm

Post #149 of 337 (10268 views)
Shortcut
*gets popcorn, sits back and watches the drama unfold* [In reply to] Can't Post

This thread will be my dose of entertainment tonight! Laugh

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 8:43pm

Post #150 of 337 (10259 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

We old people get all confused sometimes.

Of course the way he's been overusing the phrase he might be a college freshman who just learned about the strawman fallacy. "There's no one as arrogant as a young man who's just discovered an old truth."

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Apr 24 2014, 8:46pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.