First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 24 2014, 7:05pm

Post #101 of 337 (11155 views)
Shortcut
Why would that be? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
its much easier for people to overreact to things.

Much easier than what? I simply know what I like and what I don't like – it's as basic as that.

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 24 2014, 7:12pm

Post #102 of 337 (11224 views)
Shortcut
Is it really necessary [In reply to] Can't Post

for the snarky comments about other posters?

keep smiling Smile

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 24 2014, 7:12pm

Post #103 of 337 (11157 views)
Shortcut
LOL.Nice one :)) [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously now,that fandom/fan base/fan club cannot be for real.Laugh A TITLE of a movie changes from a canon to another canon one and immediately,a tempest of protests is stirring up. Out of a sudden the microcosmos they had created in their tiny little heads collapses like a tower made of paper.Overreactions,exaggerations and hybris against those who dared to "mess" with something so important, such as a movie title,is the unbelievable follow up.Crazy

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 7:13pm

Post #104 of 337 (11144 views)
Shortcut
Good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is the main reason I so disliked that part.

Still, Tolkien himself spoils LOTR by revealing in the Prologue that all four hobbits survived, so spoilers would be true to Tolkien.

Imladris18 1
Darkstone 0

https://www.facebook.com/slatesforsarah

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 24 2014, 7:20pm

Post #105 of 337 (11143 views)
Shortcut
It is much easier than to look at things [In reply to] Can't Post

with composure,collectedness and a clear presence of mind.Overreaction is easy for everyone.Self-control and temperance is the tricky part.

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

Imladris18
Lorien

Apr 24 2014, 7:21pm

Post #106 of 337 (11179 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't really trying to be snarky there. [In reply to] Can't Post

KS is just simply dead set against these movies and thinks they are a disservice to Tolkien.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(This post was edited by Imladris18 on Apr 24 2014, 7:21pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 24 2014, 7:22pm

Post #107 of 337 (11121 views)
Shortcut
It's just what people do [In reply to] Can't Post

That may not be the case for you but read any online replies or such and people almost always go over the top in their reactions when they don't like something.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Apr 24 2014, 7:22pm

Post #108 of 337 (11134 views)
Shortcut
There is new music in AUJ EE [In reply to] Can't Post

There is some new music in the AUJ EE by Howard Shore (that is not in AUJ TE), however most fans had already heard this music on the soundtrack CDs (it is from the Rivendell tracks). The remaining music in the EE was either songs (Man in the moon and Goblintown) or music copied from elsewhere in the TE.

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 24 2014, 7:23pm

Post #109 of 337 (11126 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much [In reply to] Can't Post

What I was getting at.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Apr 24 2014, 7:23pm

Post #110 of 337 (11137 views)
Shortcut
'There And Back Again' - [In reply to] Can't Post

- has a meaning for fans familiar with Tolkien's books, but unfortunately it makes a little less sense for those who aren't. The same goes for 'The Desolation of Smaug'. (To be honest, there are people who don't even know what 'desolation' means. That might actually have had an effect on audience numbers. You never know.).

With a title like 'The Battle of Five Armies', people have some idea of what to look forward in the third movie. The battles of Middle-Earth have been a major selling point for the movies, and the new title hints that audiences are about to return to more familiar territory.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Apr 24 2014, 7:31pm)

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 24 2014, 7:29pm

Post #111 of 337 (11136 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to think you weren't :) [In reply to] Can't Post

but it seems rude to reply to someone's post just to write negatively about them in 3rd person. Crazy That's all Angelic

keep smiling Smile

glor
Rohan

Apr 24 2014, 7:33pm

Post #112 of 337 (11119 views)
Shortcut
Flicking through TORN [In reply to] Can't Post

..and viewing the high proportion of threads about the 3rd Hobbit film that are actually about BOFA, in fact most threads about the third film are about BOFA makes me wonder if we here, gave PJ the idea.

After all, it's not like anyone is shocked that the battle of the Five Armies is in this film or that it was not going to be a major part of the third film.

I mean it is not like it's being called the Reign of Oakenshield or Thorin lives or the Marriage of Kili and Tauriel

LaughLaugh

Imladris18
Lorien

Apr 24 2014, 7:35pm

Post #113 of 337 (11114 views)
Shortcut
My reply was to whoever replied to KS telling them why KS feels the way they do. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why Smile

Edit: It was to NecromancerRising.

(This post was edited by Imladris18 on Apr 24 2014, 7:37pm)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 24 2014, 7:43pm

Post #114 of 337 (11068 views)
Shortcut
I know. [In reply to] Can't Post

And thanks for the clarification about his feelings towards these movies.Everything became clear to meSmile

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2014, 7:44pm

Post #115 of 337 (11126 views)
Shortcut
I leave the boards for ONE day... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Seriously though, this title change disappoints me greatly. It signals to me what has really already been confirmed through the first two films - that these are largely action blockbusters instead of the thoroughly intelligent and emotionally dramatic epics that were the LotR films.

I remember when the two Hobbit films "An Unexpected Journey" and "There and Back Again" were announced, and it filled me with such great joy. It was a signal that PJ & Co. understood Tolkien's small and innocent tale and that the films would honor the spirit of Bilbo's adventure. But, alas, a trilogy, over-the-top action spectaculars, and CGI excess were to follow.

None of this is to say that I haven't enjoyed the films. DoS, in particular, I love as a fun action spectacle. But the films have little spiritual connection to Tolkien's tale and that has taken time for me to get over.

The title "Battle of the Five Armies", while originating from a Hobbit chapter title, signals to me that action is the primary objective in this last film. Alas that it is so.

At least there is the positive news of the EE of DoS - which makes me very happy. Not only for the 25 minutes - but for new material from Howard Shore! That was a major letdown for AUJ EE (especially the tracked bit from FotR Frown).

Now if we can just get those cast & crew audio commentaries as well...

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2014, 7:48pm

Post #116 of 337 (11112 views)
Shortcut
How long has it been since creative bankruptcy caught you, Peter? [In reply to] Can't Post

What was the promised price? When any semblance of coherent storytelling and artistic integrity were gone, you would take your share of the treasure?

Well, whatever. At least we got three wonderful LotR films from this team before PJ went full-on Lucas.

"Not tall, but broad and grim...wielding great axes. Out of some savage land in the wide East they come, we deem."

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Apr 24 2014, 7:49pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2014, 7:49pm

Post #117 of 337 (11081 views)
Shortcut
Where was "intelligent and emotionally dramatic epics" in the book? [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, that stands in contrast to "Tolkien's small and innocent tale".

So what do you want, one or the other?

Faleel
Rohan

Apr 24 2014, 7:50pm

Post #118 of 337 (11069 views)
Shortcut
.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Full-on Lucas? When has he changed his original movies to fit his new vision over and over, and buried the original versions, and only released them in sub-par Laserdisc quality?

Faleel
Rohan

Apr 24 2014, 7:51pm

Post #119 of 337 (11050 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

He wants one or the other, instead of neither.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2014, 7:52pm

Post #120 of 337 (11073 views)
Shortcut
That's a straw-man...a specific example from one filmmaker one does not instantly validate the qualities of the other. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Not tall, but broad and grim...wielding great axes. Out of some savage land in the wide East they come, we deem."

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Apr 24 2014, 7:55pm)

Faleel
Rohan

Apr 24 2014, 7:57pm

Post #121 of 337 (11031 views)
Shortcut
.. [In reply to] Can't Post

But it does mean that PJ did not turn into a carbon copy of Lucas.

(This post was edited by Faleel on Apr 24 2014, 7:59pm)

Imladris18
Lorien

Apr 24 2014, 7:59pm

Post #122 of 337 (11021 views)
Shortcut
Seems many were expecting another LotR trilogy. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's something the Hobbit couldn't have possibly ever been. Now we see the disappointment of such individuals who did not accept this from the start.

It's not really fair to label PJ a Lucas when the source material changes between films in the way it does. Many like to claim that there's no heart or substance to the Hobbit movies, but I personally see a lot of heart and substance, perhaps even more than the book offers.

(This post was edited by Imladris18 on Apr 24 2014, 8:00pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2014, 8:02pm

Post #123 of 337 (11013 views)
Shortcut
Definitely more than the book offers. [In reply to] Can't Post

The plight of the dwarves has much more depth than in the book for instance.

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 24 2014, 8:04pm

Post #124 of 337 (11021 views)
Shortcut
And anyone think the "only 13 minutes" affected sales? [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw some posts to the effect that it wasn't worth it for 13 minutes - I don't know what to think as I assume it's the Hobbit fans who really want the EE, and would buy irregardless. Or not. I know I questioned whether I should bother for only 13 minutes, but ultimately glad I did and the Appendices were great, well worth it.

Am also a little startled at how far TABA seems to be along as far as being finished? I thought the cut PJ showed WB and the press would be extremely rough, but it sounds as though TABA is farther along than just a mock-up of scenes with a lot of green screens.

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2014, 8:05pm

Post #125 of 337 (11005 views)
Shortcut
And that's not what I said. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure how stating PJ'd gone "Full on Lucas", IE saying he was mishandling a prequel trilogy to a beloved fantasy trilogy, was stating he was literally mimicking Lucas' every move or creative decision.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.