Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Have you ever met any TORnsibs in person? Would you like to?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Have you ever met any TORnsibs in person? Would you like to?
Yes
Yes and I hope to again
Yes and we still get together when we can
No but I'd really like to
No but I will soon!
No and I'm content with it staying that way
View Results (49 votes)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Apr 23 2014, 2:45pm

Post #1 of 37 (714 views)
Shortcut
Have you ever met any TORnsibs in person? Would you like to? Can't Post

I have not -- yet! -- but would love to some day. TORn attracts some really great people, and I'm grateful for the friends I've made here and the friendships I hope to keep. Smile

Annael
Immortal

Apr 23 2014, 3:21pm

Post #2 of 37 (579 views)
Shortcut
I've met about 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

several in my area (Washington State and British Columbia - speaking of which, I miss TOOTL and Bullroarer!), several more in the Denver and Salt Lake areas when I traveled there, and Eledhwen & Draupne once traveled to the US so I could take them on a trip with me, which was great fun.

Never got to any of The One Parties in LA - now wish very much I'd managed to get to the one in 2003.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 23 2014, 4:32pm

Post #3 of 37 (559 views)
Shortcut
There's a few in my state [In reply to] Can't Post

that have gotten together in different combinations and at different times.

Hobbit love... if you and Ordinary Hobbit are lurking around reading this... call me! :-)

I also met up with quite a few at the NYC RCMH FOTR Live concert (lots of acronyms... ask if you need more words).

I also met with quite a few of Doug Adams followers from his blog and I met with other online Tolkien fans from another forum at a Marquette University conference on Tolkien.

I would love to meet more. My financial situation forced me to give away my tickets to the TTT Live Concert and travel has been pretty much out of the question for the last 4 or 5 years.

But, I have hopes. Since I grew up in the state Gramma lives in... I've got high hopes for reconnecting with her as I revist my home state at some point! And wishful hopes but not a lot of faith that I can meet Earl before he leaves the States to go back to India.

Keep an eye on news for the NYC ROTK Live concert coming up. That might be an opportunity for mooting.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Apr 23 2014, 4:32pm)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 23 2014, 7:30pm

Post #4 of 37 (552 views)
Shortcut
Yes, quite a few! [In reply to] Can't Post

First at the fabulous 2004 Return of the One Party Oscar party, and later at ORC conventions (2005 & 6), Roheryn/NZStrider's wedding, the ForR and TTT concerts in New York, and other events. I am still in close touch with TORnsibs I met in 2004, and have visited them in far-flung places from Ireland to New Zealand.

TORnsibs make great friends!

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Apr 23 2014, 7:36pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 23 2014, 9:15pm

Post #5 of 37 (531 views)
Shortcut
No, but I'd really like to. [In reply to] Can't Post

If only you all lived that bit closer. It's difficult enough meeting up with people a couple of hours away, let alone with people on another continent.

Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 23 2014, 9:57pm

Post #6 of 37 (522 views)
Shortcut
Yes I have had the great pleasure [In reply to] Can't Post

of meeting Maciliel and Dame Ioreth, and they were wonderful outings. I hope to see them more, as well as other folks nearby. The Symphony (and I hope the Tuxedo NY RenFaire) would be a great chance to get together as a mini-moot. Cool As Daniel says, the multi-continental nature of TORn complicates some of us getting together in person!
(Would love to meet you in person GE!)

Glassary
Rivendell

Apr 23 2014, 10:21pm

Post #7 of 37 (514 views)
Shortcut
Not yet but hope to eventually. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the best friends I have made were due to internet/Facebook connections. This past November went down to Australia even to visit with a bunch of these people. One of the best vacations ever.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Apr 23 2014, 10:35pm

Post #8 of 37 (505 views)
Shortcut
(Same here, Brethil!) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Apr 23 2014, 10:43pm

Post #9 of 37 (509 views)
Shortcut
Daniel, your reply [In reply to] Can't Post

makes me wonder what the percentages are for the various nationalities represented by TORn's membership. Hasn't someone already taken a census at some point? Maybe because Tolkien was British, I just assumed we had a large contingency of like members. It is frustrating feeling isolated within a fandom. Hopefully, you and I and others will have an opportunity at some point to change that. Smile

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2014, 12:48am

Post #10 of 37 (501 views)
Shortcut
Let's see... [In reply to] Can't Post

Daniel is in England... RA is doing The Crucible at the Old Vic which is also in England... I say we both visit Daniel, crash on his couch and go see RA. That way, Daniel gets to meet TORn folks, we get to meet more TORn folks and we get to see RA. I call that a win!

I'll drive.

Cool

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 24 2014, 1:27am

Post #11 of 37 (497 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't if I were you [In reply to] Can't Post

Dangerous folk they are...wandering the wilds.Wink

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 24 2014, 1:30am

Post #12 of 37 (498 views)
Shortcut
TORn-sibs, I've met a few...but then again, too few to mention. [In reply to] Can't Post

The ones I have met are most excellent people and also seem very brainy to me. Which makes me wonder what the heck I am doing here...Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 24 2014, 2:02am

Post #13 of 37 (490 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant. If you're driving I'll bring snacks [In reply to] Can't Post

and snorkels. Good to go! Cool

Kim
Valinor

Apr 24 2014, 2:31am

Post #14 of 37 (498 views)
Shortcut
Hey, did you see the post on the Hobbit board re NYC TABA premiere? [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently there's a charity auction for 2 VIP seats for the premiere on Dec 8. No word yet on if this is the world premiere. I say we start making our plans now! (not to bid on those tickets as their estimated value is $5000 which is too steep for me, but we could stand outside the red carpet to see who we could see!). Cool

Kim
Valinor

Apr 24 2014, 2:36am

Post #15 of 37 (479 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you [In reply to] Can't Post

that is, I haven't, but I would like to. I'm hoping the TABA premiere and Oscar party will provide opportunities. Or perhaps we should plan a Thorin themed moot? Wink

Cirashala
Valinor

Apr 24 2014, 7:09am

Post #16 of 37 (477 views)
Shortcut
is there anyone [In reply to] Can't Post

who lives in the Pacific Northwest region of the US? I live in North Idaho, and sometimes feel far removed from all the great people on TORn Unsure

I've BEEN to some places that I've seen TORnsibs are from (namely Colorado- lived there about 14 years ago), but it doesn't seem like anyone is in this area Frown Or within driving distance.

I would love to get together with some TORnsibs Evil My dream is to visit NZ one day and "walk" ME with a pack and a horse (or even on foot). But financially I cannot fly halfway around the world- I can't even fly to visit my dying aunt in California (she has cancer, and it's terminal).

Sigh...

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 7:29am

Post #17 of 37 (477 views)
Shortcut
Crikey! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be like Bilbo with all of you falling through my front door!

*locks door and closes curtains*

Wink

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Apr 24 2014, 10:29am

Post #18 of 37 (469 views)
Shortcut
Even if you were promised a share of the swooning? [In reply to] Can't Post

(*starts drafting contract*)

Cool

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 10:51am

Post #19 of 37 (481 views)
Shortcut
My greatest friends are sibbies :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I met my first TORnado in 2002 when a few of us met up to see FotR at the movies. I've met so many through mini-moots, conventions, and other adventures... and I'm warmed by their friendship :)

You must meet up any chance you get! Mini-moots of one or two and on up to masses of us gathering at conventions... you must experience the art of "mooting" :)

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 12:11pm

Post #20 of 37 (459 views)
Shortcut
points up.... [In reply to] Can't Post

to this post

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 24 2014, 1:17pm

Post #21 of 37 (483 views)
Shortcut
I would love to, but I haven't. Wah. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not like there aren't any other Texas TORnadoes around.

A problem is being the mom of two very busy boys. A lot of our weekends are taken up with their running around.

Of course, it could also be due to the fact that I'm a big ol' fraidy cat. Don't only stalkers and weirdos set up meetings with people from the internet? I've seen that tv show where they bust perverts... ShockedCrazy TongueLaugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 24 2014, 2:34pm

Post #22 of 37 (455 views)
Shortcut
I like my eggs fried, not poached, and mind you don't break 'em. [In reply to] Can't Post

And DI likes bacon. We look forward to your hospitality! Wink

Cirashala
Valinor

Apr 24 2014, 4:04pm

Post #23 of 37 (443 views)
Shortcut
ironically enough.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I met my husband through myspace Tongue NEVER browsed before (even on facebook, only people on there are people I know in real life) but felt led to by God after a crush revealed that our entire friendship had been one big lie. Emailed back and forth for a while, then met at his work in person (I figured that it was a public place and that he wouldn't do anything uncouth at his place of employment), and the rest is history Smile Got married 11 months later, and going on 6 years now with two beautiful little girls Smile

It's funny how those things can work sometimes- like you, I am also afraid of internet stalkers sometimes Wink But I have gained some wonderful friendships with people I've met through Tolkien online- both on here and Fan fiction. Someday, in a safe, public place, I would love to meet some of the TORnsibs Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 24 2014, 6:55pm

Post #24 of 37 (439 views)
Shortcut
Sure did see it! [In reply to] Can't Post

The charity will get a big ticket donation from that auction! We could try I suppose!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 7:18pm

Post #25 of 37 (442 views)
Shortcut
I've had a few mini-moots that I've enjoyed very much. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've met Altaira, BG, RosieLass, Greendragon, LRonHalfelven, Lily Fairbairn, Ethel Duath, Roheryn, Entmaiden, Inferno, Annael, Arandiel, and a few others who are no longer around on the boards, like Poppyroper and Nefisa. I'm probably forgetting somebody, and if they notice, my deepest apologies and a big d'eaux!

It's such a surreal experience putting a face on somebody who you've only known through the typed word for so long. It's rather like meeting a character out of a book. And it's surreal talking about shared experiences with people you've never seen before, people who know all the TORn inside jokes. It's the most fun thing ever.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.