The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Confusion over the whole love triangle storyline

boldog
Rohan

Apr 21 2014, 10:27am

Post #1 of 7 (11574 views)
Shortcut
Confusion over the whole love triangle storyline Can't Post

So basically It is evident that there is a love triangle throughout the trilogy between Aragorn, Arwen and Eowyn.
So is this how the storyline of it plays out,
1. Aragorn and Arwen are clearly in love, as we see in that bridge scene. She also gives him the evenstar to symbolise this
2. To emphasise this love more, there is another love scene while they are in rivendell, as seen in TTT
3. Elrond tells off Aragorn saying that Arwen should leave with her people
4. Aragorn accepts this, and tells Arwen prompting him to give the evenstar back to her. He ends up keeping it as a reminder of her.
5. Aragorn leaves rivendell and believes for the last time that he wll see Arwen. Their love temporarily ends.
6. Aragorn meets Eowyn and he she grows fond of him and he does to her as well. He sees her as a possible lover for he believes Arwen to be beyond his reach now.
7. Arwen hesitantly leaves Rivendell with her people to go to valinor, never to be near Aragorn.
8. Eowyn offers Aragorn a cup of wine, and he accepts it. This shows that he is very much into her.
9. Arwen returns to rivendell, and seeing her future, and urges her father to reforge Narsil. Her elven nature starts to leave her.
10. Elrond arrives at the camps of Rohan and tells Aragorn about Arwen. Aragorn sees now that his true lover has given up her elven gift for him. He has to reunite with her, and dedicate his love to her now.
11. He sees Eowyn again, and she states that she loves him, where he objets saying that he cant give her what she wants, because of Arwens decision.
12. He reunites with Arwen and the marry
13. Eowyn meets Faramir and marries him

is this right? im pretty sure im close to how it was meant to play out

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 21 2014, 3:02pm

Post #2 of 7 (11397 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn was never "into" Eowyn [In reply to] Can't Post

Because of Arwen, it was never going to be. Aragorn never had any strong feelings for Eowyn--she misread him.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 21 2014, 3:22pm

Post #3 of 7 (11385 views)
Shortcut
my responses: [In reply to] Can't Post

5. Aragorn leaves rivendell and believes for the last time that he wll see Arwen. Their love temporarily ends.
I don't believe their love ended.

6. Aragorn meets Eowyn and he she grows fond of him and he does to her as well. He sees her as a possible lover for he believes Arwen to be beyond his reach now.
No way does he see her as a possible lover. I have never read the movie nor the book in that way at all.

8. Eowyn offers Aragorn a cup of wine, and he accepts it. This shows that he is very much into her.
No, accepting a cup offered is manifestation of manners and grace. Remember, too, this was a time with more 'codified' formal behavior. It would have been insulting to a host to turn away an offer of drink.

10. Elrond arrives at the camps of Rohan and tells Aragorn about Arwen. Aragorn sees now that his true lover has given up her elven gift for him. He has to reunite with her, and dedicate his love to her now.
He doesn't "Have" to do anything. He is still in love with her and he's not forced into a position just because she turns up.

11. He sees Eowyn again, and she states that she loves him, where he objets saying that he cant give her what she wants, because of Arwens decision.
No... because he never loved Eowyn. He has been gracious to Eowyn. He has been kind of Eowyn. And he has been understanding of Eowyn's feelings for him. But he has never led her on and he has never wanted a relationship with Eowyn.

I think it's easier to understand the character of Eowyn, her background, her future - especially as seen in her eyes, her position, and her motivations when one reads the book. It fleshes out the character more. What Eowyn wants is escape from the few options she thinks are available to her. You know how someone sees a person and falls in love with their 'perception' of that person or how their life might be with that person? But it's not real love and it's love for, perhaps, the wrong reasons.

The full line that Aragorn speaks to Eowyn is: " It is but a shadow and a thought that you love. I cannot give you what you seek."

Aragorn is much older than Eowyn and he recognizes that she is in love with an idea... and ideal... Not necessarily him. He is behaving as an honorable gentleman of much maturity. Not as a flirty lad flitting between two women, caging out his best bets between them, discarding one when she isn't available and then the second when the first turns out to be available.

He is true to Arwen throughout. He gives up the things he loves the most (in the movie) in the belief that it is in her best interest. And he maintains a polite but circumspect relationship with a younger woman who has a crush on him.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 21 2014, 10:30pm

Post #4 of 7 (11360 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Because of Arwen, it was never going to be. Aragorn never had any strong feelings for Eowyn--she misread him.

Aragorn may have had flitting feelings for Eowyn but they were very short lived. He hadn't gotten over Arwen.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 21 2014, 10:35pm

Post #5 of 7 (11374 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie Aragorn's feelings for Eowyn were played up. I however sometimes wonder if this was a mistake because it to me just showcases even more how hard it is to believe that Aragorn would refuse a woman like Eowyn who clearly has a much more proactive role over Arwen. However in the book you realize Arwen and Aragorn had loved each other before Eowyn was even born. Originally Tolkien did consider marrying Eowyn to Aragorn but decided against it because he thought Aragorn was too old for her. In the end I am happy with his choice of Faramir.

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Apr 21 2014, 10:35pm)

squire
Half-elven

Apr 23 2014, 6:16pm

Post #6 of 7 (11299 views)
Shortcut
The film deliberately fuzzed the relationships to build romantic tension [In reply to] Can't Post

As others have said, Tolkien clearly did not want his readers to imagine that Aragorn ever cared for Eowyn in a romantic way. But the filmmakers chose to change that, for what I think are fairly obvious reasons!

The difference is not so much in the Aragorn-Eowyn interactions, which more or less follow Tolkien's, as in how the director had the actors play them. Your interpretations seem right to me: Aragorn, having lost Arwen, is open to Eowyn's interest in a way that he never was in the book.

With the Arwen storyline, on the other hand, the film makes a much more radical set of changes so that Aragorn's budding interest in Eowyn appears honorable rather than triangular. As your timeline shows, it's not a classic 'triangle": Aragorn is never interested in both women at once, but goes from the first to the second and then back to the first.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

batik
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2014, 9:34pm

Post #7 of 7 (11260 views)
Shortcut
yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I've admitted it before: I bought it!
I'm one of those hybrids--saw FotR then started reading the book afterwards. It's likely I had not finished it by the time TTT was released thus my buying into the few lingering looks that passed between Aragorn and Eowyn in that film! Pretty sure my thoughts came about from this combination: (a) nice, pleasant exchange between the two when he came across her wielding her blade--yes, yes! this was just "friendly" but.... (b) lingering look the first---as Aragorn was riding away to fight the warg-riders...if his turning back to look at Eowyn didn't *mean something*--my nick's not batik! and (c) that was not a "hey, Buddy!" greeting when Aragorn showed up at Helm's Deep
Reading the book pretty much clarified that the film-makers really put a different slant on that relationship. Oh, well.
P.S. I only recently discarded the popcorn bag which was an image of Aragorn--in between the two ladies.
Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.