Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Blue Wizards con There and Back Again?!?!?!

Eruthurin
Rivendell

Apr 23 2014, 4:02pm

Post #1 of 17 (1656 views)
Shortcut
Blue Wizards con There and Back Again?!?!?! Can't Post

I been told at the Tolkien Society Facebook page that Ray Romano signed for the role of Pallando, Is that true? anyone with reliable sources from the Production can give some light here?....Shocked The guy says he's personal friend of the actor and he was told that by Ray himself... is it true or he was victim of a joke from Romano?

:: All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you ::

Faleel
Rohan

Apr 23 2014, 4:46pm

Post #2 of 17 (1103 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't believe it for one second.

Eruthurin
Rivendell

Apr 23 2014, 5:02pm

Post #3 of 17 (1034 views)
Shortcut
Nor me...but... [In reply to] Can't Post

He sounded very convinced of what he says, but it sounds like a joke for me!... Srlsy, I like Ray Romano and his shows but nothing to do with this world, i think... just wanted to be sure...

bungobaggins
Lorien

Apr 23 2014, 6:00pm

Post #4 of 17 (1013 views)
Shortcut
You really think someone would do that, [In reply to] Can't Post

Just go on the internet and tell lies?

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 23 2014, 6:17pm

Post #5 of 17 (962 views)
Shortcut
Reminds me of [In reply to] Can't Post

a line from an old State Farm commercial: "They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true" Wink

keep smiling Smile

Bofur01
Lorien

Apr 23 2014, 7:03pm

Post #6 of 17 (938 views)
Shortcut
PJ and co. don't have the rights to the Unfinished Tales... [In reply to] Can't Post

And that's why Gandalf had "forgotten" the Blue Wizards' names in AUJ...

burgahobbit
Rohan

Apr 23 2014, 7:12pm

Post #7 of 17 (914 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

They've already stretched it by mentioning them at all. It was okay to say that there were five wizards, and thus that there were two other wizards besides Gandalf, Saruman, and Radagast, because all of that is in the LOTR books. But the whole blue thing is Unfinished Tales material.

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

Name
Rohan

Apr 23 2014, 7:31pm

Post #8 of 17 (911 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just saw that Brad Garrett signed on as Allatar!

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2014, 9:20pm

Post #9 of 17 (814 views)
Shortcut
Damn, I wish this was true [In reply to] Can't Post

Be great to see them battling it out in dol-guldur!

The flames of war are upon you.

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Apr 23 2014, 9:21pm)

Eruthurin
Rivendell

Apr 23 2014, 9:21pm

Post #10 of 17 (793 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Tolkien Society FB group is not any given public page googling, it's a closed group, most of the people there official members like me, and mostly more serious content.... that's why am asking here too....

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Apr 24 2014, 12:11am

Post #11 of 17 (766 views)
Shortcut
It's in the appendix [In reply to] Can't Post

It is mentioned in LotR that the two other wizards were blue.
It's only their names and their errands that is off-limits to the film makers Wink

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Apr 24 2014, 2:45am

Post #12 of 17 (728 views)
Shortcut
Besides being off limits [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the two blue wizards disappeared into the east and formed cults or something? No way they would return and fight on the side of the good guys.

Morthoron
Gondor

Apr 24 2014, 3:47am

Post #13 of 17 (736 views)
Shortcut
In the immortal words of Abraham Lincoln.... [In reply to] Can't Post

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." -- A. Lincoln, 1864

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2014, 4:23am

Post #14 of 17 (695 views)
Shortcut
off limits? [In reply to] Can't Post

these movies make billions and give millions to the Tolkien estate, i don't see why PJ should be scared of Christopher Tolkien.

The flames of war are upon you.

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Apr 24 2014, 5:27am

Post #15 of 17 (683 views)
Shortcut
Because copyright violation suits are expensive [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to drag this thread in to a CT vs PJ debate, because it should not be. However, the last thing that anybody wants is another law suit between the two, because that would mar profitability and publicity.

It is not worthwhile to try and challenge the copyright holders in this instance. Just bad business.

As much as I would like to see the Blue Wizards, their appearance in the Hobbit, besides the copyright thing, doesn't make sense based on what little Tolkien actually wrote about them. There are already too many characters, with at least one more to be introduced in TABA, so this change feels very unlikely.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 4:08pm

Post #16 of 17 (570 views)
Shortcut
Not even Tolkien was sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I thought the two blue wizards disappeared into the east and formed cults or something? No way they would return and fight on the side of the good guys.

JRR Tolkien never decided whether the two Blue Wizards wholly failed in their mission(s) or if they at least partially succeeded. He came up with scenarios based on both premises.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ostadan
Rivendell

Apr 25 2014, 5:35pm

Post #17 of 17 (511 views)
Shortcut
Knowing They're A Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." -- A. Lincoln, 1864

And so it went. Tens of thousands of messages, hundreds of points of view. It was not called the Net of a Million Lies for nothing. -- Vernor Vinge

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.