The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Does Legolas stab Bolg with Orcrist?

boldog
Rohan

Apr 23 2014, 9:09am

Post #1 of 8 (718 views)
Shortcut
Does Legolas stab Bolg with Orcrist? Can't Post

That bit right at the start of their fight always confuses me. Legolas goes for the stab but clearly he misses and Bolg has the blade under his arm. I just dont get what its all about. It was like a personal and awkward 2 seconds for Leggy and Bolg. I didnt get it. what did you get from that quick scene?

And also Does anyone believe that Lawrence Makoares voice for Bolg, sounds a little but like Lurtz? I swear there are moments where the similarities are so close

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 23 2014, 12:57pm

Post #2 of 8 (407 views)
Shortcut
He dodged it. [In reply to] Can't Post

And grabbed the blade and pulled Legolas in close to him. I think it was to show how strong he is and also him trying to intimidate Legolas. It also mirrored the scene in FotR when Aragorn stabs Lurtz and he pulls him in closer before Aragorn pulls out his sword and decapitates him.

And, regarding Bolg's voice, I didn't think he sounded at all like Lurtz. The one line I remember Lurtz having, he says "FIND THE HALFLING!" And he has a voice that they obviously did some tweaking to. Bolg's voice is a little higher pitched and sounds less like they did anything to it than Lurtz's voice.

Our destiny lies above us.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Apr 23 2014, 2:58pm

Post #3 of 8 (363 views)
Shortcut
Bolg pivots and grabs the top of the blade [In reply to] Can't Post

... with his left hand:

Then they have a standoff for several seconds; Bolg eventually breaks the standoff by throwing Legolas against the wall, making him drop Orcrist.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 23 2014, 11:51pm

Post #4 of 8 (268 views)
Shortcut
Grabbing your opponent's sword blade [In reply to] Can't Post

is a legitimate medieval combat technique described in period swordplay treatises. It's not hard to do with a single-edge blade like Orcrist, and it's possible even with two-edged blades. It's important to use the correct grip, but the technique isn't hard to learn.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Rickster
Rohan

Apr 24 2014, 7:55pm

Post #5 of 8 (203 views)
Shortcut
oh come on [In reply to] Can't Post

this question has been asked a 1.000 times now. Read the forum

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 9:09pm

Post #6 of 8 (187 views)
Shortcut
Has it? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
this question has been asked a 1.000 times now. Read the forum

It seems like a very valid question to me. I don't remember reading a thread on it before, at least, not in the last month (which is at least 18 pages of threads). And I don't see it anywhere on page 1.

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 5:45pm

Post #7 of 8 (165 views)
Shortcut
Found a picture [In reply to] Can't Post

from a 15th century Italian longsword fencing manual.

The man on the left has his opponent's sword trapped under his arm and is about to pummel his face with the pommel on the hilt of his sword. For those of you who don't read late medieval Italian, I'm told that the English translation says:

Holding the blade I beat your sword away
You will have enough of my pommel

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Apr 29 2014, 2:04am

Post #8 of 8 (128 views)
Shortcut
On Lurtz [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Bolg and Lurtz are played by the same actor and they both have Orc blood, so it makes sense you would see some similarities, nice call! :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.