What movies, tv shows, youtube videos/series, etc. have you watched recently
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 22 2014, 9:32pm

Post #26 of 52 (645 views)
Shortcut
Just saw "Under the Skin" with Scarlett Johansson [In reply to] Can't Post

Thought provoking - yes; a great movie - I don't think so. But maybe great art, if that makes sense.

It will leave you feeling troubled, dissatisfied and curious, but it's not for the faint of heart.

And I may need a big dose of Winnie the Pooh this evening.

Oh, and one more thing - Scarlett Johansson was fantastic

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

(This post was edited by Elarie on Apr 22 2014, 9:37pm)

Kim
Valinor

Apr 22 2014, 9:50pm

Post #27 of 52 (635 views)
Shortcut
Transcendence [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the comments, I've been wondering if that would be a good movie to see. The premise sounds really cool to me, so I may check it out. And I usually don't look too hard at the logic of sci-fi movies, it's more fun not to. Tongue

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Kim
Valinor

Apr 22 2014, 9:55pm

Post #28 of 52 (639 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

I've watched the movie and the extras a couple of times, and I agree, it's just amazing. I'm especially impressed with the level of acting based on some of the shots we've seen where they basically film for about 10 seconds, then cut. I've always wondered how they can maintain their character in such an environment, especially when the camera is right in their faces.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2014, 3:41am

Post #29 of 52 (630 views)
Shortcut
Six seasons and a movie! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was pretty clever how they were able to give a bit of closure without actually closing the door completely in case nbc gives them another season. It was cute, but I liked the animated gi jeff episode better. It felt more like the first three seasons. A lot of viewers seemed to hate it because they didn't understand the gi joe references. I'm not familiar with it either, but still "got"it.

I would like to see another season, but only if they can do it justice. (Sigh)

Only when we stop stopping our lives can we begin to start starting them. - Prof. Whitman, Community

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2014, 3:56am

Post #30 of 52 (632 views)
Shortcut
Saving Mr. Banks [In reply to] Can't Post

This was the in-flight movie on my way to San Francisco. It's the first movie besides the Hobbit UJ I've seen in ages. I enjoyed it; my favorite scenes were the ones between Emma Thompson and Paul Giamatti. It wouldn't have been appropriate, but I wish there had been more of them.

Only when we stop stopping our lives can we begin to start starting them. - Prof. Whitman, Community

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2014, 4:05am

Post #31 of 52 (620 views)
Shortcut
We enjoyed GBH too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. FF didn't think he'd like it, but he did:-)

Where's Frodo?

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 23 2014, 6:38am

Post #32 of 52 (635 views)
Shortcut
It's not that I hate it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just haven't put my finger on why it is so addictive yet. I watched the first six episodes pretty much back-to-back over Easter.

There are parts I enjoy (the first 10 minutes of episode 1 were gripping), and I find the story in general intriguing and exciting. There are characters I wished had more screen time - Jon Snow, Eddard and Daenerys - and there are characters I have no interest in whatsoever - Tyrion, the Stark children.

I'll have to decide whether the story as a whole outweighs the grotesque nature of some scenes. From what I've seen so far, the same story could have been told (and the same goes for the book) without being so vile.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Apr 23 2014, 8:25am

Post #33 of 52 (624 views)
Shortcut
Grand Budapest Hotel, Only Lovers Left Alive [In reply to] Can't Post

Grand Budapest Hotel
I’ve never really ‘got’ Wes Anderson’s films, with the exception of Moonrise Kingdom. I fell asleep during Life Aquatic (granted, it was a late session) and TV/inflight viewings of The Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore had me changing channels after about half an hour. This strikes me as odd, because I usually love a quirky storyline, and am all over anything with the Kauffman name stamped on it. I just think I am probably on a different wave length. I approached this hopefully because the trailer looked so colourful and there were plentiful cameos.

I wasn’t disappointed, though there was a moment when the director’s artistic license and my comprehension parted company – but things did gel back together for me eventually. What I remember mostly, rather than the actual plot, are various really lovely/amusing scenes, and the character of M.Gustave was just delightful.

Only Lovers Left Alive
Ka-piiing! That’s the sound of this film being catapulted into my “top favourite films ” list, where it joins ‘Wings of Desire’, ‘Down With Love’, 'The Avengers', Fellini's 'Casanova', and LOTR of course.

I just loved this on SO many levels. Where do I start? Dark at times, a little humourous, always thought-provoking. It's a 'hang-out' rather than 'plot-driven' movie. It’s like Jim Jarmusch has tapped into the very sensibility of why I peruse books, films, the human creative endeavour, with creativity being part of the essence of OLLA. And the music… and the gentle take on a vampire lifestyle…. and the multiple historical and cultural references, as these two quiet-living vampires discuss the artists, writers and scientists they’ve personally known through the centuries. To quote a reviewer, they are ‘deeply reflective, almost regretful old souls who seem to have decided that love is about the only thing you can count on.’

And such a sweet love affair. Tilda Swinton is other-worldly as the lighter, more positive half of the equation. And the icing on the cake is Tom Hiddleston, stumbling around all moody and intense in leather trousers and occasionally sans shirt. Hel-lo. Wink

After it finished, I just wanted to stay hanging out in their world. In the cinema, the lights came up, the credits stopped rolling, and there were still groups and couples who hadn't moved from their seats yet, so eagerly and deeply in discussion.

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today." (Dr Seuss)

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Apr 23 2014, 8:25am)

imin
Valinor

Apr 23 2014, 8:25am

Post #34 of 52 (619 views)
Shortcut
fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't like Tyrion to begin with but he gets loads of screen time over the series and as his character developed i did grow to like him much more. He is now one of my favs, though my initial favourites were exactly the same as yours.

Personally i wouldn't watch a show i consider vile as that sounds like a strong emotional response to something though i don't find the level of violence to be vile, nor the nudity, just a little pointless at times. Each to their own.

Still Happy St George's Day Smile

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 23 2014, 12:06pm

Post #35 of 52 (612 views)
Shortcut
Tyrion is one of the best parts of that show [In reply to] Can't Post

And that's not a backhanded compliment like... the best thing is a 'bad' thing. Dinklage is brilliant in that role and I love his character.

I know what you mean about compelling and repelling at the same time. Do they have to be so 'vile' as you put it? To some extent, it's the type of story it is and the type of storytelling. To a great extent, it's a style now. Deadwood was the same. I thought, no way could I watch a show like this but yet... it was very compelling and I think it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I think these shows could be just as compelling without going so dark ... violent, perverse, and sexual. But that is what is selling now and if they tell a good story and give me plenty of warning to close my eyes, I cut them a fair amount of slack.

It's the same way with extended action scenes that involve chasing and fighting and smashing and stuff. I don't like it. But if the story being told is good enough, I can sit through it.

But it's a matter of taste and limits. So this isn't me trying to convince you of anything. (I did stop watching Carnivale because it went past certain limits of 'enjoyment' for me and perhaps I found the storytelling not compelling enough to surmount that.)

You might be interested in this article:
http://io9.com/...rom-for-ic-511679817
10 Sources That Inspired Game of Thrones' Dark Storytelling
At last, fans of the Game of Thrones TV series fully understand the anguish that readers of George R.R. Martin's novels have long since suffered. Why? Why do these terrible things happen? One reason is that Martin's source material is equally brutal and horrific. Here are 10 sources that Martin drew on for his epic fantasy tale.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Misto
Lorien

Apr 23 2014, 12:13pm

Post #36 of 52 (615 views)
Shortcut
GoT/Budapest [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I just haven't put my finger on why it is so addictive yet. I watched the first six episodes pretty much back-to-back over Easter.

I take it you haven't seen the seventh episode yet? Brace yourself, I took a month or two break from the show after that, because, well that was just so not my cup of tea.
But I understand what you say about its addictive potential. Even though I had established to be thoroughly through with the series, I find myself thinking that maybe I should give the second series a try. On the other hand, I don't really expect it to be any better a) because of the plotline (I read the books) and b) because that seems to be HBO's concept.

Speaking of addictive, a word of warning: Do not buy the GBH soundtrack, because you'll never get that melody out of your head!Crazy

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 23 2014, 4:25pm

Post #37 of 52 (591 views)
Shortcut
I very much enjoyed Under the Skin... [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I came away from it wishing that it had gone even further into the 'weirdness' some may call 'pretentious artsy-ness'. Nevertheless, I found it very interesting and am looking forward to a second viewing at some point.

Smile

(This post was edited by cats16 on Apr 23 2014, 4:25pm)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 23 2014, 4:45pm

Post #38 of 52 (583 views)
Shortcut
I had a reaction to this movie that I've never had before [In reply to] Can't Post

which was that I would like to see a gallery installation of still shots from the movie, designed by the director. I have a feeling that that's kind of what we were seeing anyway, but in film format, and I would love to compare the two different ways of looking at these images. In a film, we see the images at the director's pace and intensity. In a gallery, we could see them at out own pace and adjust the intensity of our viewing as we go, which is a very different kind of audience participation, and without the linear nature of the film acting as our emotional guide, I think the range of audience reactions would be even more varied and interesting.

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 24 2014, 10:35am

Post #39 of 52 (573 views)
Shortcut
Psst, Magpie: Top of the Lake [In reply to] Can't Post

I started watching Top of the Lake tonight. It only screened on pay TV here so I have been waiting for it to become available on DVD rental.
I'm currently two episodes in and loving it.

I have had to suspend disbelief a few times with some of the random accents, fake police car noises, and bogans in Queenstown, but I seem to quickly overcome these moments. I don't know if I can get over David Wenham in his cycling gear though.
Interesting that you spotted Robyn Malcom - she would be one of the most well known actors here. I recognised most of the actors in the programme.

It's very good. It's got plenty of room to move and time to think. It has made me think about the cinema of unease.
I will be finished by the time the next movie thread comes around.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 12:03pm

Post #40 of 52 (565 views)
Shortcut
I always wonder at how different the viewing experience is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...when many/most/all of the actors are recognizable and when the reverse it true (none are).

Sometimes is so clear that a story is being acted because I've seen those particular actors in so many other thing that it keeps the story on the level of a stage play. That distinction between stage and actors and audience isn't so bad. But when I'm watching foreign cinema such that I'm getting really good actors but no one I recognize... I am able to immerse myself in the story without being distracted by parts of the actors that have nothing to do with the story (either their own personality or other roles).

I just finished the first season of The Returned (French TV show) and it reminded me a lot of Top of the Lake (in tone and pace and 'oddness'). You can see my review here but if you loved Top of the Lake you might like it. However, there may be things about Top of the Lake that drew you in that aren't present in The Returned so who knows.

Cant wait to get your reactions about the whole thing.

... back to my first comment. I saw a trailer for Angelina Jolie's upcoming Maleficent and I realized I can't look at Angelina and see her as anything other than Angelina anymore. Maybe because she doesn't do many roles and I see her more in her 'personality/personal' role than in any character role. Or maybe just because of who she is and the circumstances of her fame. But I think it's hard to balance having to shill yourself to the public to be popular enough to be cast... and maintaining a low profile publicly so one can more easily blend into a role for the viewer's benefit.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Tintallë
Gondor

Apr 24 2014, 1:45pm

Post #41 of 52 (569 views)
Shortcut
I am the same way with [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks. No matter what I see them in I can't forget who they are in real life. I just don't go to movies featuring those actors any more.

The exceptions are Saving Mr. Banks, which I had to see because I was pretty sure Emma Thompson would be splendid - and she was! Tom Hanks was quite good as Walt Disney, but having seen Walt introduce every "Wonderful World of Color" broadcast in my youth I couldn't see Hanks as anything other than a stand-in.

One other exception is The Last Samurai, AKA Tom Cruise in Japan, but the movie is so beautiful that I love it anyway. It's one of those that will stop my channel surfing in its tracks. I saw an incredible display of samurai armor and artifacts at the Boston Museum of Art and I think my wonder at that exhibit was partly attributable to the portrayal of the samurai in that movie.
Rather silly, actually, but there it is.

I've seen very few Angelina Jolie movies so I'm really looking forward to Maleficent.

Tintallë
Gondor

Apr 24 2014, 2:04pm

Post #42 of 52 (564 views)
Shortcut
Ditto on Grand Budapest and [In reply to] Can't Post

Wes Anderson's other movies. Rushmore was just strange. As for The Grand Budapest Hotel - well, I loved it even though it was beyond odd. For me, now "Lobby Boy" is to Grand Budapest Hotel as "SWAN!" is to Hot Fuzz.

You make me want to see Only Lovers Left Alive, a movie I never knew existed until I read your description. I have been following Tom Hiddleston since seeing him in National Theatre Live's Coriolanus, which is probably the most powerful drama I have ever seen on a stage. He was absolutely stunning. Apparently I have not been following him very closely, though! This movie is not my usual fare, but it's playing at one of our little indy theaters in downtown San Diego so I am going to try to get there before it disappears.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 2:36pm

Post #43 of 52 (555 views)
Shortcut
have you seen "The Hollow Crown"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom plays Henry V to Jeremy Irons's Henry IV. Wonderful.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 24 2014, 9:07pm

Post #44 of 52 (553 views)
Shortcut
The first time I saw The Two Towers it was super distracting, [In reply to] Can't Post

as I was constantly taken out of the story by the shock of recognition of so many of the actors.
It was very noisy in the theatre as various audience members yelled out the Shortland Street character names for actor after actor. The funniest one was when John Leigh made his appearance and told Gandalf et al that they could not enter with all their weapons. People shrieked with laughter that 'Lionel' was still alive after all. (Lionel was John Leigh's much loved character in Shortland Street, who met a mysterious end in the soap. People were always waiting for him to come back.) It took many repeated viewings for me to get over it!

So yes, it can be very distracting. I kept catching myself scanning through all the extras during pub scenes in Top of the Lake to see who I could spot. The pool of actors in NZ is small, which is why I don't necessarily mind the leads in Top of the Lake not being Kiwis - it makes for better viewing for me. Although if I was a Kiwi actor it might make me grumpy.

I know what you mean about Angelina Jolie. I think she is a terrific actor - I loved her in Changeling and A Mighty Heart, and I can usually manage to forget who she is in the fame sense when she is getting stuck into a really good performance. I do remember, though, right in the middle of a crucial scene in Changeling, thinking: oh, look, she has all her tattoos covered up, and gosh, she really is skinny. That was a bit distracting!

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 12:36am

Post #45 of 52 (540 views)
Shortcut
Iron Man 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked it. As usual, RDJ carried the movie with his snark. I think the writers should have done more with his panic attacks; that plotline seemed to get forgotten in all the explosions. Maybe it's something that will come back in the next film.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 25 2014, 5:14pm

Post #46 of 52 (525 views)
Shortcut
I just finished [In reply to] Can't Post

True Detective.One of the best HBO series i have seen in a while.I recommend it without any hesitation.Smile

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 5:56pm

Post #47 of 52 (519 views)
Shortcut
Hollow Crown - that sounds great. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I finally saw Chris Hemsworth in Thor this week, Annael, with all of your posts about it in mind, and I have three words for you: I get it. Oh yeah. Wink

The Third TORn Amateur Symposium kicks off this Sunday, April 13th, in the Reading Room. Come and join us for Tolkien-inspired writings!

**CoH Rem. Just sayin' **

Annael
Immortal

Apr 25 2014, 8:31pm

Post #48 of 52 (510 views)
Shortcut
grins [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Patty
Immortal

Apr 25 2014, 8:33pm

Post #49 of 52 (507 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, after watching him in Thor… [In reply to] Can't Post

How could you not get it? Wink

Permanent address: Into the West

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 26 2014, 12:46am

Post #50 of 52 (498 views)
Shortcut
So true Patty...! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I am just amazed at how much I enjoyed the pre-Avengers Loki too. Tom is just fantastic.

The Third TORn Amateur Symposium kicks off this Sunday, April 13th, in the Reading Room. Come and join us for Tolkien-inspired writings!

**CoH Rem. Just sayin' **

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.