The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DOS Finishes Domestic Box Office Run

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 22 2014, 8:22pm

Post #1 of 7 (991 views)
Shortcut
DOS Finishes Domestic Box Office Run Can't Post

Didn't see a thread on this: DOS has ended its initial run in U.S. theaters, accumulating $258,366,855 in 126 days (worldwide total is currently at $953,066,855).

Plenty of details here: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/...n&id=hobbit2.htm.

Only one more ME film to grace the silver screen in the foreseeable future, with less than eight months until TABA arrives. Man, seeing the end credits for TABA is sure going to be a mixed bag of emotions.

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 22 2014, 9:26pm

Post #2 of 7 (579 views)
Shortcut
The first TABA trailer will bring a mix of emotions! [In reply to] Can't Post

Geez, I was so hyped all through last summer - up and a lot down. Wasn't happy w. the elf-loaded first trailer, then WEEKS and WEEKS of nothing, then the impossible week came and (it seemed like) the floodgates opened and the new banner, the NZ stamps, the fantastic trailer #2, then the fan event and the sneak peek. Watching the trailers on the BR special features disc is like living through it all again.

TABA causes a mix of feelings anyway - dread among them - so I'm happily in denial for now. Tho LOL, PJ makes for LONG goodbyes as everyone sits around for the TABA EE. And then another possible wait for a "director cut special remastered edition" or something like that, possibly, of all six movies.

Sorry DOS' theater run is over - I don't regret any of my multiple viewings, it was awesome in IMAX.

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

Skaan
Lorien

Apr 22 2014, 9:27pm

Post #3 of 7 (582 views)
Shortcut
A bit less than i expected [In reply to] Can't Post

I was one of those people who thought DoS would easily reach 1.1 billionBlush.

Anyway, even if it didn't reach 1 billion, it's still a pretty impressive amount so i shouldn't really complain. But here's hoping TABA can break the 1 billion mark again.

And you're right, i think i'll be an emotional wreck for a while once i see the end credits of TABA popping up, knowing that there's no more looking forward to another ME movie anymoreFrown

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 23 2014, 2:41pm

Post #4 of 7 (391 views)
Shortcut
A little less [In reply to] Can't Post

I was like you and figured it would make at least 1 billion if not a little more. It didn't so those that predicted less get to gloat a bit but it still made a nice sum of money. It was also for many of us a really good film and another winner for Middle-earth. That in the end pleases me more than the amount it could have made at the box office.

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 23 2014, 4:31pm

Post #5 of 7 (364 views)
Shortcut
Same here... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it would crack a billion with international numbers trickling in at the end.

As you say, still a lot of money and the quality of the film itself is the most important thing.

(This post was edited by cats16 on Apr 23 2014, 4:32pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 23 2014, 6:50pm

Post #6 of 7 (327 views)
Shortcut
Agreed :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

patrickk
Rohan

Apr 24 2014, 12:59am

Post #7 of 7 (307 views)
Shortcut
Box Office Adjusted... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for US dollar value between January 2013 and January 2014. There has been some discussion here about whether DOS 'failed' at the box office with a mere $950m compared wth AUJ and its $1.06b. The only way to compare is by looking at the dollar vlaue and adjusting over the twelve months, as the US Dollar tended to strenghen against most other currencies (as high as 15% in Australia but around 3-5% in most other places).

I did the caculations for the markets which showed $10m or more at the box office, plus NZ (as it is a kiwi movie). When I did the rough sums (adjusted dollar value appreciating) both AUJ and DOS recorded coincidentally $544m for each in those non-US/Canada markets (with more than $10m in grosses). This suggests the fall was mainly in the US/Canada market, as the others balanced out to me much the same between movies. Probably due to a a number of things, not the least being weather, and maybe a reason for the possible name change (to appeal to a broader American audence, but who knows). There is probably another few million in China given the published data is nearly a month old so it may nudge $960m.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.