Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
So I saw this question on Facebook the other day

RangerLady23
Lorien

Apr 22 2014, 7:03pm

Post #1 of 8 (273 views)
Shortcut
So I saw this question on Facebook the other day Can't Post

and thought it would be good to post here:
If you had a time machine and could sit down to dinner with Professor Tolkien, what would you like to ask him or talk to him about?
A hard question for me, but I would try not to be too geeky and "Deplorable Cultus" like Tongue
You?

"Ring-Ding" That moment when you are reading or watching Tolkien and the light goes off that you have found something you've never seen before

demnation
Rohan

Apr 22 2014, 10:01pm

Post #2 of 8 (130 views)
Shortcut
I would probably ask him about himself [In reply to] Can't Post

I find Tolkien himself to be just as interesting (if not more so) as his fictional work. But I wouldn't expect to get a lot out of him!

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 22 2014, 10:10pm

Post #3 of 8 (125 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would probably ask was Turin really cursed or did he choose his path? Even though he loved his wife why did he spend so much time awya from her? Was Legolas blonde? Come on we need to know this stuff. Tongue Finally I would ask him about Faramir, how he came to be etc.

Bracegirdle
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2014, 12:13am

Post #4 of 8 (106 views)
Shortcut
"Hi Prof Tolkien, tea? why yes, thank you." [In reply to] Can't Post

When Frodo had the Ring on a chain how come the chain didn't disappear?

Did orcs have immortality?

Did you purposely have Gandalf's return to life (on Zirak-zigal) coincide with our Valentine's Day (Feb. 14)?

Did you purposely have The Fellowship start their quest on our Christmas Day (Dec. 25th)?

"More tea? Why yes, thank you so much."

>>>>THIS SPACE FOR HIRE<<<<
Contact Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole #14, Bywater Pool Road

Faleel
Rohan

Apr 23 2014, 12:33am

Post #5 of 8 (105 views)
Shortcut
.. [In reply to] Can't Post

"What happened to Odo!? was he actually captured by the Nazgul?"

Gimloid
The Shire

Apr 23 2014, 1:06am

Post #6 of 8 (115 views)
Shortcut
Oh, golly... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would probably ask him about his experiences in the First World War, since that is another interest of mine - assuming that it wasn't something he didn't like to talk about, of course. I think he would, if he was comfortable with talking about it, be very well able to convey the thoughts and attitudes of the people who took part, which I find one of the most puzzling and difficult things to understand about it and which the various soldiers' personal accounts that I have read convey very badly.

As regards his writing, I would ask him if that really is Weathertop that I can see if I go to the top of the hill and look out across the valley Laugh I have always seen the view from the Malverns when I read the Weathertop scenes, long before I realised that there might be a genuine connection; plenty of people think there is such, but I'm not aware of anything that Tolkien himself might have said on the matter.

I would also of course be very keen to discuss Galadriel with him - though how that would go depends an awful lot on just what time the time machine had taken me to!

I suspect, though, that there would be little point in planning it out. For one thing, there are several quotes around which indicate that his own view of his work was distinctly different from that of most fans - a particular example that springs to mind is his comment on a proposed film script to the effect that they should delete the Helm's Deep sequences entirely and use the screen time to show more of the Ents instead. So I think it would not be long before he came up with something comparably unexpected and the whole conversation would take an entirely unforeseen path...

There is also the tale of a chap who went to visit him and the first thing he did was to declaim the Lord's Prayer in Gothic. If he did that to me I can quite see things ending up with him teaching me the rudiments of Gothic and we'd never get to discussing his writings on Arda at all Smile

Really, I find more attraction in the idea of just being able to sit down and have a beer with him and get to know him than in posing specific questions.

Cillendor
Lorien

Apr 23 2014, 1:54am

Post #7 of 8 (95 views)
Shortcut
I'd want to ask him all about the languages, especially Sindarin. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been studying Sindarin for years, and I realize that there is so much that we don't know about it. I want to learn it from the master.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 10:35am

Post #8 of 8 (47 views)
Shortcut
Wow... what would I ask? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd ask a few things... among them would be:

Did you know when you were writing your stories that your world would touch so many? You must have felt it yourself as you were writing, but are you surprised how much it means to others?

Could you please let your family know that your other works are okay be shared in other formats?

Are you surprised at how many have been drawn to reading and other creative ventures thanks to your work?

Finally, and Thank You. I know there seems to be a lot of fuss and marketing now; but your stories have brought so much joy to so many individuals... and that is never lost in the noise.

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.