Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Were these the Hobbit films that you expected?
Poll: Were these the Hobbit films that you expected?
Yes
No
I had no expectations
View Results (42 votes)

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

Apr 21 2014, 2:57pm

Post #1 of 13 (705 views)
Shortcut
Were these the Hobbit films that you expected? Can't Post

This is not asking whether or not you liked the Hobbit movies, but whether or not these were the films you had expected all those years ago. I for one loved the Hobbit films so far, however, I would never had guessed that they would have turned out like they did.

(This post was edited by Beorn's Bees on Apr 21 2014, 2:58pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 21 2014, 3:52pm

Post #2 of 13 (586 views)
Shortcut
Not exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, after An Unexpected Journey, I had a better idea of what to expect from the rest.

Patty
Immortal

Apr 21 2014, 6:04pm

Post #3 of 13 (584 views)
Shortcut
Yes and no… [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ has again helped us to visualize Middle- earth in the way I expected. The new sets are just as I expected with the possible exception of lake town.

But the story is not as I expected, because all those many years ago I didn't foresee the need for so much padding.

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 21 2014, 6:08pm

Post #4 of 13 (594 views)
Shortcut
No, and yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

With Jackson's pre-LOTR films movies as a guide I'd expected something a bit silly, childlike, and quirky as befitting the book.

However as it became obvious Jackson was bowing to fans' demands for more LOTR, I anticipated a LOTR-Lite where LOTR film fans would be saying "too silly" and Hobbit book fans would be saying "too actiony".

So I voted yes.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 22 2014, 3:32am

Post #5 of 13 (566 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts exactly.// [In reply to] Can't Post

RangerLady23
Lorien

Apr 22 2014, 6:48pm

Post #6 of 13 (529 views)
Shortcut
I voted no [In reply to] Can't Post

but in a good way. They are different from what I was expecting, but I love them still. I just had LOTR to go by and TH is very different from it, but overall they are good films and they have not disappointed!

Azimuth
The Shire

Apr 22 2014, 11:00pm

Post #7 of 13 (526 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

They were much, much better! I expected some boring story because the book was not one of my favourites. However I was stunned with what I saw Smile

Annael
Immortal

Apr 23 2014, 3:23pm

Post #8 of 13 (499 views)
Shortcut
I said no but [In reply to] Can't Post

really my answer is "I was hoping they wouldn't turn out as they did, but they did."

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 23 2014, 6:14pm

Post #9 of 13 (492 views)
Shortcut
That's a hard one [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I need an "all of the above" option! "Yes" because Middle-Earth itself has been very much visualized the way I expected it to be, based on what we saw in LotR and from what I imagined while reading The Hobbit. "No" because the story wasn't what I expected --I thought it would stay closer to the book. Finally, "I had no expectations" because I didn't really think about it until AUJ came out! Wink

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 6:48pm

Post #10 of 13 (475 views)
Shortcut
Yes and No [In reply to] Can't Post

I think these have been for the most part what I expected just enough like LOTR to match that but enough like The Hobbit to be that as well. So that's why I voted yes but I say no because sometimes he has changed things a bit more than I would like with certain bits.

Elskidor
Rohan

Apr 25 2014, 10:01pm

Post #11 of 13 (465 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

They are not what I expected. Although I have a few complaints, these movies have been far and wide better than the "one" long film I figured we'd get.

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Apr 26 2014, 8:13am

Post #12 of 13 (453 views)
Shortcut
I had no expectations [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen the Hobbit in stage play and that was about it. The little glimpses we got in LOTR really did nothing to whet my appetite for 1 film, much less 3. So, I really didn't have any preconditions of what it should or should not be.

It may not be the "best" Hobbit movie that could have been, but in a post LOTR world, I think it works rather well.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

May 3 2014, 6:07pm

Post #13 of 13 (438 views)
Shortcut
No... [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog, a Dwarf/Elf romance, dancing buffoon Great Goblin, CG Orcs all over the place - didn't expect any of these things.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.