Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Do I need the theatrical edition blu set..

seelbach
The Shire

Mar 29 2014, 8:17am

Post #1 of 8 (492 views)
Shortcut
Do I need the theatrical edition blu set.. Can't Post

to have all the available special features?
..or is the extended edition box set all encompassing, as far as special features go?

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 29 2014, 12:45pm

Post #2 of 8 (387 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you have been reading the articles on the homepage you will se there has been some problems with getting ALL of the special features. Sme many available sets were released for AUJ some of them contains things other sets didn't have. There was no all encompassing set. I can't say that will necessarily be the case with DOS but to get everything you might be buying multiple sets and shelling out a lot of money. I myself waited and just conted myself with the extended edition which came with two appendices discs. However their are more special feature sets out there that contain things I don't have.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Mar 29 2014, 1:01pm

Post #3 of 8 (383 views)
Shortcut
the specials on the TE ed. and on the EE ed. are different [In reply to] Can't Post

there is also a special docu film on the limited edition collectors' set of the EE (only 3 discs for films and 3 for the docu films).
So I have 3 different editions with 3 different sets of specials (no BluRay, just normal). Pretty honest, I have no duplicates.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 29 2014, 1:48pm

Post #4 of 8 (386 views)
Shortcut
Elanor is right [In reply to] Can't Post

The extras on the TE tended to be promotional material - features shown before the movie was released, trailers and tv spots, etc.

The extras on the EE tended to dig into Tolkien and his writing and deeper into the process of making the movie.

The extras on the LE were (raw) behind the scenes footage shot for a projected but never developed documentary.

If you (directed at the OP in this reply to Elanor) go to Amazon (and probably B&N) and take a look at each of these versions, you should be able to see a list of the extras.

Over the years, I've wanted to dig through some of this stuff for info and I can tell you, there is something in each version that is absolutely not in any other version. Some behind the scenes shot or a glimpse of a set from a good angle or a shot of an actor with platform shoes to make them appear taller. :-)

So a completist will want all.

But if I had to chose only one set based on extras alone, it would be the EE.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 29 2014, 1:49pm)

seelbach
The Shire

Mar 30 2014, 6:51am

Post #5 of 8 (382 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the input! [In reply to] Can't Post

that's what I figured. I remember the dvd editions had different features, but I wasn't sure if the Blu rays were different. It seems like the EE blu ray set is like the dvd EE set, plus the Costa Botes BTS docs from the LE dvds. I really enjoyed the process of delving into all the features so I'll probably get both versions.

As for The Hobbit, I am getting the TEs for the production diaries and the EEs for my preferred viewing experience. I haven't kept track of variations if there are any, between different stores. I know sometimes you get one featurette from the walmart edition and another from the Target edition etc, and I'm not down with that madness. I will get the most standard versions.. 2 copies is enough!

I no longer have the EE dvd set as my house was broken into several years ago and I made the mistake of keeping my dvd collection in a convenient moving box. I hope to content myself with the blu sets, but I still miss the packaging of the dvd EEs, I would spread them out and enjoy the detailed design work that went into them. Now that they are OOP they are becoming expensive on Amazon, but I will likely find them used in a thrift store some day when DVD becomes more a thing of the past.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2014, 8:14am

Post #6 of 8 (311 views)
Shortcut
Some more info... [In reply to] Can't Post

The EE Blu-rays have all the Appendices from the EE DVDs *and* the (unfinished) Costa Botes documentaries from the LE DVDs (which have completely different material from the Appendices, and are quite excellent, even in their unfinished state).

The TE Blu-rays are exactly the same content-wise as the EE DVDs i believe (promo mini-documentaries and teasers/trailers).

I like having them both. Even though i only watch the Extended Editions of the films, i do like watching the features on the TE Blu-rays from time to time.

seelbach
The Shire

Apr 22 2014, 12:50am

Post #7 of 8 (305 views)
Shortcut
unfinished? [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know the Costa Botes docs were in an unfinished state. I wonder if that is something that some day will be released in a more refined form or if that is abandoned.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

May 4 2014, 4:49pm

Post #8 of 8 (304 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it kind of got taken away from him [In reply to] Can't Post

before he could finish it. Here's one of his blog entries on the subject...

http://costabotes.com/...f-lord-of-the-rings/

It certainly seems as though he wasn't happy with how the whole thing turned out. Be sure to read the comments below the post as he responds to many of his reader's questions and comments.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.