The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A bit of extended material?

jackster
The Shire

Apr 20 2014, 10:59pm

Post #1 of 5 (1030 views)
Shortcut
A bit of extended material? Can't Post

This is an old video, it was actually the first clip of DOS to be released. It came from the live special PJ hosted for the Unexpected Journey blu ray last march.

Anyway, he showed this clip of Gandalf and Radagast going to the High Fells, and I noticed that the small part at the end wasn't actually in the final cut of the movie. Edited out for time and saved for EE perhaps?

clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uoG5HlFgSk

Apologies if someone already pointed this out.

By the way, I don't know if it's just me, but does anyone prefer this quieter version of the scene to the final cut of it in the film with music? I don't know, for some reason the silence gives it a creepier essence.

(This post was edited by jackster on Apr 20 2014, 11:01pm)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2014, 11:49pm

Post #2 of 5 (445 views)
Shortcut
i really hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

more High Fells the better!

The flames of war are upon you.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2014, 11:53pm

Post #3 of 5 (451 views)
Shortcut
it might have been the alternate version actually [In reply to] Can't Post

which i hope its not but they went back and shot the scene with Radagast and Gandalf outside the high fells when they decided to split the films into three.

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 20 2014, 11:59pm

Post #4 of 5 (450 views)
Shortcut
I like the way the scene was edited... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the preview event better than in the actual film. I definitely hope it's back the way it was in the preview event for the EE. But that may be wishful thinking.

Our destiny lies above us.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2014, 12:02am

Post #5 of 5 (438 views)
Shortcut
the original edit seems slower which i like better [In reply to] Can't Post

the ending where Gandalf begins speaking to Radagast which isn't in DOS may have been Gandalf saying he needs to catch up with the dwarves and that might have been cut and replaced with the scene with Radagast and Gandalf outside the high fells.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.