Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Bard, Smaug's death and intra-species conflicts in Middle-earth

The Grey Elf
Rohan

Apr 20, 2:44pm

Views: 183
Shortcut
Bard, Smaug's death and intra-species conflicts in Middle-earth Can't Post

As someone with spotty familiarity with The Unfinished Tales and none of Tolkien's other works outside of LOTR and The Hobbit, I am unaware of any instances of warring in Middle-earth that doesn't take place between different species/cultures. Are there?

I came to this question in a roundabout way. As much has been made of the notion that a single arrow could kill Smaug, I've been pondering how movie Bard may accomplish this, beyond accurate aim. Since we know Laketown will be burning, what if he lit the black arrow with dragon fire and sunk it into Smaug's chest that way? (True, the arrow appears to be entirely metal but assuming dragon flames have properties greater than normal fire, I would argue it might be possible.) This, in turn, made me wonder if dragons were vulnerable to the fire of their own kind and if they ever battled amongst themselves which, let's face it, does seem like a typically anti-social and dragony thing to do ;-) Finally, this thought led me to realizing that the battles of Middle-earth, as far as I knew, seem to be very clearly drawn between species.

Have I missed anything from other Tolkien works re dragon lore and intra-species conflicts? And what do you think about my hypothetical re Bard and his kill shot?

Subject User Time
Bard, Smaug's death and intra-species conflicts in Middle-earth The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Apr 20, 2:44pm
    Oh, yes indeed! Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Apr 20, 3:07pm
        Those Nasty Noldor and their Kinslaying NottaSackville Send a private message to NottaSackville Apr 21, 12:03pm
    There is a line in the Silmarillion about the Last Alliance Elarie Send a private message to Elarie Apr 20, 4:16pm
    I also wonder if there was a historical precedent for Morgoth The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Apr 20, 4:51pm
        Morgoth created the dragons and used them as weapons Elarie Send a private message to Elarie Apr 20, 5:38pm
            Thanks for the factoids, Elarie! The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Apr 20, 5:45pm
    There were Men in Sauron's army at Minas Tirith and the Black Gate.// Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Apr 20, 7:27pm
    I can recall a pretty epic battle between a couple of Wizards ;) // grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 21, 9:23am
        D'oh! // The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Apr 21, 10:07am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.