Smaug in my Fire-Moon

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Apr 20 2014, 4:17am

Post #1 of 8 (899 views)
Shortcut
Smaug in my Fire-Moon Can't Post

Hi y'all,

I was just going through my pictures of the eclipse last week while I had DoS playing in the background.

I was just gazing at this pic when Kili was telling Tauriel about seeing the Fire-Moon in Dunland.

First, I wondered if PJ or Phillipa was thinking of "Blood Moon" eclipses when they wrote that line. Then I thought, "OMG! That's not the Man in the Moon... It's Smaug!"

(If you're your reading this PJ, there is still time to squeeze it in Part III) ;)

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 20 2014, 7:47am

Post #2 of 8 (810 views)
Shortcut
You might be on to something here (tenuously ;-) )... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's Tycho crater. Tycho (although originally named after the discoverer rather than the goddess) was a Greek goddess of fortune and luck. The Arkenstone pretty much governed the destiny of Erebor ... I bet my hat the Arkenstone is there!

What a fantastic shot of the Moon.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 20 2014, 9:45am

Post #3 of 8 (794 views)
Shortcut
Great idea :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 20 2014, 3:40pm

Post #4 of 8 (793 views)
Shortcut
beautiful photos [In reply to] Can't Post

and I love the Smaug discovery!

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 20 2014, 6:57pm

Post #5 of 8 (781 views)
Shortcut
Yes! That is Smaug! [In reply to] Can't Post

Why on Moon couldn't I have seen that before! Cool

Kim
Valinor

Apr 20 2014, 11:41pm

Post #6 of 8 (773 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I too was wondering if that's what Kili saw. I like your view of Smaug in the fire moon (and the Arkenstone).

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 21 2014, 9:24am

Post #7 of 8 (761 views)
Shortcut
Oh Wow! That's so cool!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

NottaSackville
Valinor

Apr 21 2014, 12:04pm

Post #8 of 8 (767 views)
Shortcut
That's no less obscure than many accepted constellations! Nice work // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.