A question for you
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Glassary
Rivendell

Apr 17 2014, 11:56pm

Post #26 of 35 (1294 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget J.K. Rowlings Harry Potter series [In reply to] Can't Post

HP has a fervent fan base and in turn has obviously spun off very successful movies and even a theme
park..

Hate to even mention it but there is also Twilight which has wildly fanatical fans. To me
this is Voldemort of series and should not ever be named.
I saw a window decal the other day on a van of "twilight parent" with the face of a main character.
Needless to say I was a bit stunned and horrified.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 18 2014, 7:08am

Post #27 of 35 (1286 views)
Shortcut
You weren't fast enough [In reply to] Can't Post

EvilLaugh

No sparkly vampires here thank you, the sparkles get stuck in my teeth and they're a sod to get out with my claws TongueLaugh

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 18 2014, 12:57pm

Post #28 of 35 (1279 views)
Shortcut
H. P. Lovecraft has a Huge FanBase... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully Guerlimo DelToro getzzz
to FINALLY make..

"At the Mountains of Madness"
then Lovecraft will be BACK
inStyle.

Check this site out...
www.dagonbytes.com FREE Site!

Edgar Alan Poe's complete works, and too many
"Other-OtherWolrdly" Authors to list.Shocked

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 18 2014, 1:05pm

Post #29 of 35 (1305 views)
Shortcut
Sorry Bomby avoids HP like the Plague? [In reply to] Can't Post

BoyWizard, come on...Cute Kids...

"The Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew"
SAVE the World?
Multiple Times!...

Naw...,toBomby
she cut & pasted everyone ideas into
What it izzz..

Bombyzz Not
Buying it.

Bomby a Died in Wool
Anti-Potter Club member.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2014, 2:09am

Post #30 of 35 (1267 views)
Shortcut
The first two.. [In reply to] Can't Post

..are episodic in exactly the way you describe. I felt a Nancy Drewish vibe myself, and almost gave up on them. But the last five are not.

I mean the books. Heart

But of course tastes vary, we're here because we all agree about Tolkien, anyway! Evil

(My username is HP in origin... Blush )

Kim
Valinor

Apr 19 2014, 2:56am

Post #31 of 35 (1253 views)
Shortcut
That's why it sounds so familiar! [In reply to] Can't Post

(My username is HP in origin... Blush )

I could never quite put my finger on it. Smile

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Kim
Valinor

Apr 19 2014, 3:03am

Post #32 of 35 (1263 views)
Shortcut
I have a different take on it, Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the HP books and to me, they pull together some old story elements in a new, fresh way. I love all the characters and world within our world. And they really seemed to have inspired a lot of kids to read.

And I like the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew too. Tongue

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2014, 8:46pm

Post #33 of 35 (1244 views)
Shortcut
It was the first book that got me hooked on the series [In reply to] Can't Post

and tt's the only book I've ever read as an adult that actually made me feel 10 years old again. All of the magical things that Harry was discovering were exactly the sort of things that we would have loved as kids - castles, secret tunnels, flying, friendly ghosts, magic wands, etc. and the humor had me laughing out loud as well. The plots were totally secondary - I think I described it to one of my friends as, "kids discover bad guy, grown-ups don't believe them, kids beat bad guy", but compared to secret passwords, talking pictures and owl-mail, the plot didn't seem very important to me compared to the fun of being swept off to Hogwarts.

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2014, 10:03pm

Post #34 of 35 (1241 views)
Shortcut
Arithmancy [In reply to] Can't Post

..the study of the magical properties of numbers. I work in a quantitative field so it seemed a good name to pick. Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 20 2014, 12:37am

Post #35 of 35 (1249 views)
Shortcut
I started reading the series mostly through my kids [In reply to] Can't Post

I think one of my kids borrowed the first book from a friend for vacation and I read it when he finished. Then I think I bought the second book for them for vacation. Maybe the next few, even.

But by book 4 or 5, I was reading them for myself. When the last one came out, my good friend (who works as an English teacher and has written for publication herself in some small ways) and I carved out the weekend to read the book together via email correspondence.

It was such a wonderfully meaningful experience (maybe one of the top 5 in my life) that I copied out all of our emails, formatted them up all nice, and sent them to her in pdf form. And I shared what I wrote with at least two people from this forum privately.

I don't think Rowling is perfect nor is HP. My son (now 30 but has read all the books) is pretty meh about them and his criticisms aren't off the mark. But I forgive Rowling's imperfections and I love the books in spite of them.

I could see someone reading them and deciding they weren't to their taste. But I can't really accept anyone deciding they weren't worthwhile books without reading them. Read them or read them not. That is a choice. But reading them not... is just a choice.. not a good assessment of the books' qualities or lack thereof.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.