The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will we see Azogs head on a stake?

boldog
Rohan

Apr 19 2014, 8:38am

Post #1 of 10 (676 views)
Shortcut
Will we see Azogs head on a stake? Can't Post

This is what happens to him in the books, so i dont see why they would overlook it for the films. Maybe it might be a bit too far, considering its rating. But would it be good? Personally though, I just cant see Azog being decapitated. I cant picture his body lying there without a head lol

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 19 2014, 12:47pm

Post #2 of 10 (446 views)
Shortcut
Probably not. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless we see it after the Battle of Five Armies ends. I don't see anyone taking the time during the battle to do such a thing.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 19 2014, 1:40pm

Post #3 of 10 (431 views)
Shortcut
Yes! And... [In reply to] Can't Post

King Joffrey will be a dick about it and make Bolg look at it!

Our destiny lies above us.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 19 2014, 3:12pm

Post #4 of 10 (408 views)
Shortcut
Shouldn't think so... [In reply to] Can't Post

Once he's dead I doubt we'll see him again.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 19 2014, 4:48pm

Post #5 of 10 (385 views)
Shortcut
Putting someone's Head on a Stake? [In reply to] Can't Post

THAT is what Orcs do..
Not necessarily what the
Free Peoples of MiddleEarth do?

Sure, we saw that done by the Rohirrim
after burning the ORC carcasses
@ Fangorn Forest, in the LOTR...
but don't agree that
THAT should be a "Trophy of this Battle".

Bomby
Believes THAT would
Be
Beneath them.

Name
Rohan

Apr 19 2014, 5:16pm

Post #6 of 10 (373 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn could always do it right after he kills Azog. Or he could do it to Bolg's head if he kills Bolg instead of Azog. Y'know what I'm saying......? Wink

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2014, 6:31pm

Post #7 of 10 (368 views)
Shortcut
Why wouldn't they overlook something that happened in the books? [In reply to] Can't Post

They've already overlooked just about everything that Tolkien wrote about Azog. Aside from the much-discussed fact that Azog isn't even supposed to be alive at this time, Azog was supposed to have been "a huge Orc with an iron-clad head", but it would seem that Tolkien conceived of Orcs as being on average shorter than Men (one Orc, can't recall which, was described as "huge, almost man-high", which would seem to imply that Tolkien had not meant for Orcs to be 7-8 ft tall behemoths like Azog, Bolg, and the Great Goblin of the films). The only thing film Azog's done so far that in any way mirrors what Tolkien wrote is cut off Thror's head, but even the circumstances behind that are fraught with PJisms. Hell, his "Defiler" nickname doesn't even make much sense in the films, since no mention was made of him carving his name into Thror's head.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Apr 19 2014, 6:37pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 19 2014, 7:35pm

Post #8 of 10 (353 views)
Shortcut
Azog does the defiling off-screen [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hell, his "Defiler" nickname doesn't even make much sense in the films, since no mention was made of him carving his name into Thror's head.

He does carve his name into Thror's head, you just can't see the letters very well in the film. Here's a better look: http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/...04-mkv_000199825.jpg.

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2014, 7:45pm

Post #9 of 10 (338 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
King Joffrey will be a dick about it and make Bolg look at it!

The flames of war are upon you.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 19 2014, 8:16pm

Post #10 of 10 (337 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
THAT is what Orcs do..
Not necessarily what the
Free Peoples of MiddleEarth do?

Sure, we saw that done by the Rohirrim
after burning the ORC carcasses
@ Fangorn Forest, in the LOTR...
but don't agree that
THAT should be a "Trophy of this Battle".

Bomby
Believes THAT would
Be
Beneath them.

It wouldn't be beneath our favorite Skin-changer!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.