The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A random thought

boldog
Rohan

Apr 19 2014, 8:35am

Post #1 of 5 (493 views)
Shortcut
A random thought Can't Post

I just thought this today. this is like an alternative storyline that will never happen, but its fun to speculate.

I would be very upset if this ever happened, but say Azog, kills Bilbo and loots him finding the ring of power.
Will he realise what it is?
Will he abuse its power?
Will he return it to his master?
Will he keep it?
Will he destroy it? (dont think so)

I personally believe he would abuse it and keep it for himself. He doesnt seem to be very obedient to Sauron, so im sure he will use the ring for his own deeds, before it turns him into an orc version of Gollum Laugh

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2014, 8:40am

Post #2 of 5 (308 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a story for au fanfic to me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though Azog with the Ring would still have little chance of taking on Sauron methinks. I suppose he might become a mini-Saruman for a while!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 19 2014, 5:14pm

Post #3 of 5 (232 views)
Shortcut
My guess is that he would return it to his master [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I personally believe he would abuse it and keep it for himself. He doesnt seem to be very obedient to Sauron, so im sure he will use the ring for his own deeds, before it turns him into an orc version of Gollum Laugh

I trust you're referring to the slight discord that rose between Azog and the Necromancer during their conversation in DOS here? Well, in my opinion it was simply a demonstration of Azog's short temper, nothing more. He gave up his hunt for his most hated enemy to fulfill his master's orders, didn't he?

This is why I believe he'd return the Ring to Sauron. A passage from LOTR Wiki to support my claim: "A vengeful, megalomaniacal psychopath, Azog is easily frustrated, even by his Master and by his own followers. He is extremely hot-tempered and elitist. He is also highly intelligent, displaying excellent hunting skills and experience in combat. He is also vindictive, highly idealistic and unfailingly loyal to Sauron." (http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Azog#Personality)

But, of course, this is pure speculation. Smile

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Apr 19 2014, 5:15pm)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2014, 6:08pm

Post #4 of 5 (229 views)
Shortcut
Azog is just an Orc... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and being an Orc who works for Sauron in the films, I think he would bring the Ring straight to his master. He's not some great power like Saruman or Galadriel, he's a slave of Sauron's. Maybe book Azog might have had different designs, as he seemed much more independent-minded than his film counterpart.

You really like making threads about Azog, huh? Tongue

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2014, 6:11pm

Post #5 of 5 (223 views)
Shortcut
I don't even think he could become a mini-Saruman... [In reply to] Can't Post

...probably more like Gollum than Saruman. Orcs are really not much more than slaves to the dark powers (first Morgoth, then Sauron) and not known for their power of will.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.