Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Has anyone here seen the musical version of LOTR?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 18 2014, 6:51pm

Post #1 of 8 (638 views)
Shortcut
Has anyone here seen the musical version of LOTR? Can't Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/..._Rings_%28musical%29

Just curious. Smile

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 18 2014, 7:00pm

Post #2 of 8 (579 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I saw it in Toronto. [In reply to] Can't Post

The staging was innovative, costumes and story-line adequate. There was a lot of material to pack into one show... probably should have been conceived of as a series of 3 shorter works. It only lasted 6 months which given the cost seemed short to me. I think it did better in London.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 18 2014, 7:16pm

Post #3 of 8 (568 views)
Shortcut
Yup, in London. [In reply to] Can't Post

And it was *superb*. You must listen to the soundtrack (it is on youtube) - expect the usual cheesy number, but some of them are beautiful (Arwen & Aragorn's duet, Lothlorien). They feel very Middle-earthy. I have a feeling it was the most expensive show in theaters in the UK, and you could have seen why.

There were obviously large portions of the book missing.

I hear it's doing a world tour in 2015. I hope to see it again.

The whole thing was such a spectacle.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Apr 18 2014, 7:17pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 19 2014, 12:49am

Post #4 of 8 (545 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it in Toronto when it very first came out... and I was mesmerized! As with any new "thing", there were some rough spots; but the main characters were incredible and gollum was astounding! Our first glimpse of him was coming out of a small door off to one side of the stage along the wall by the seats... then he drew back inside... very stealthy. The music was wonderful and the moving stage was shocking to see.... but even with the obvious changes in the storyline, it was great :)

I was sitting next to an elderly couple who admitted to me they had never read the books or saw the films, and they still loved it :)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2014, 8:44am

Post #5 of 8 (533 views)
Shortcut
One that I missed [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this is the only adaptation of Tolkien which I missed! Mind, one example of a musical or indeed a play is that you can look at things which you don't like and change them the next day. You can't do that with a movie or even a TV series. Good to hear it might be coming back, might make an effort to see it if it does.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2014, 9:58am

Post #6 of 8 (525 views)
Shortcut
One thing I wondered about this musical [In reply to] Can't Post

Is how did it get by the rights issue? Or don't they apply to musicals or plays?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 20 2014, 1:25pm

Post #7 of 8 (518 views)
Shortcut
They do apply [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle-earth Enterprises (formerly known as Tolkien Enterprises), a division of The Saul Zaentz Company, owns both the film and stage rights (as well as the merchandising rights) of The Hobbit and LOTR.

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2014, 11:11pm

Post #8 of 8 (509 views)
Shortcut
That answers that one, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.