Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Would you like to see a TH-LOTR bridge film (or a set of films) happen?
Poll: Would you like to see a TH-LOTR bridge film (or a set of films) happen?
Yes
No
I'm not sure
View Results (52 votes)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 17 2014, 3:15pm

Post #1 of 23 (5087 views)
Shortcut
Would you like to see a TH-LOTR bridge film (or a set of films) happen? Can't Post

Yes or no?

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 17 2014, 3:24pm

Post #2 of 23 (4963 views)
Shortcut
in watching DOS again this week [In reply to] Can't Post

I truly got (I'm sure it's been obvious to everyone else) that when the decided not to have two Hobbit films and one bridge film ... that the result was to work all that bridge material into the Hobbit films. I mean.. I knew that. But I truly 'got' it.

It was part of what diminished the quality of the Hobbit films for me. They are trying to tell two stories at once. (I think they're trying to tell even more than two but that's not pertinent to this discussion.) I think I might have liked it much better had it been one (or two) Hobbit films and one bridge film.

But now that they've 'done' it... what else are they going to tell? I know there are snippets of stories in the appendices other than the Necromancer story they're covering. But it's my opinion that the less the more they have to 'extrapolate' on Tolkien's writing ... the lower the quality of the storytelling.

They can do whatever they want... I don't want to prevent anything from happening. But I have almost zero interest in seeing this combo of filmmakers extrapolate any more on Middle-earth. I'm not even sure I can point a finger at any one entity as being responsible. In the back of my mind, I think WB may be behind a lot I don't like. But this seems to be the team that has a grip on M-e films, at the moment. So that's all I've got to base to my opinion on.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Apr 17 2014, 3:25pm)

demnation
Rohan

Apr 17 2014, 8:56pm

Post #3 of 23 (4925 views)
Shortcut
I kind of hem and haw about this [In reply to] Can't Post

While I would love to see more ME on the screen, logic tells me that any film that doesn't have a strong base (a full, complete novel to be adapted from) would likely end in disaster. As much as I admire PJ and CO., they just aren't fantastic writers IMO, at least compared to Tolkien. So any film where they had to construct 100 percent of the dialogue themselves would be something I worry about.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 17 2014, 10:09pm

Post #4 of 23 (4920 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen DoS yet. I know it's out on DVD now, but I'm willing to wait until it hits my Netflix queue to watch it (It looks like that will be the first week of May).

The first of the Hobbit movies seems to have been enough to kill the excitement for me. I'm no longer eager to return to PJ's Middle Earth.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 17 2014, 10:59pm

Post #5 of 23 (4907 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Would love it.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 17 2014, 11:23pm

Post #6 of 23 (4907 views)
Shortcut
I think you may be right... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't imagine a bridge film that could have stood alone or been a truly satisfying link between TH and LOTR.

I've also had a sense of 'too much extra story' about the Hobbit movies so far. I actually don't mind them pulling in the Dol Guldur story, since it at least is concurrent with Bilbo's adventure and has some bearing on it (where are the scenes of Thrain in the Necromancer's prison?). But I feel the story does get lost in extraneous plot, and the movies would be far better if they played closer to the book (and appendices, since I'm allowing them in my version...). And I suspect you're also right about the 'Hollywoodization effect' that Jackson & Co were better at fending off in LOTR.

I also wonder what effect, if any, the protracted game of 'Red light, Green light' leading up to TH going into production might have had on the quality of the final products.

Glassary
Rivendell

Apr 18 2014, 12:12am

Post #7 of 23 (4902 views)
Shortcut
While I love to visually be in ME I'm not 100% on a bridge film. [In reply to] Can't Post

Agree that I believe when PJ and crew expanded from 2 to 3 films they filled in with alot of
backstory which would explain and set up for LOTR.
Don't believe that there will be enough to craft a full bridge film that would be good.

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 18 2014, 3:48am

Post #8 of 23 (4890 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to see more of Middle-earth, [In reply to] Can't Post

but OTOH, it wouldn't really be Tolkien's stories, so I have mixed feelings about the idea.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Apr 18 2014, 7:27am

Post #9 of 23 (4889 views)
Shortcut
Only if they're not directed by Peter Jackson-I say this regrettably. [In reply to] Can't Post

Being such a fan of his LotR films, it is something that I never thought I would say-but Jackson and the writers have now proven themselves entirely untrustworthy and irresponsible when it comes to adapting Tolkien's work: not just completely altering events (Azog's survival, Dain's absence at the battle, etc), but repeating events in LotR to lesser effect (e.g. the Morgul-blade/Morgul-arrow incident), which has to be one of the all-time great ironies, as they have stolen from Tolkien in order to deviate from Tolkien. Even the canon scenes are mostly inaccurate (The Dwarves giving up the quest in front of the door, Elves saving the company from the spiders, and so on).

If they did make a series of bridge films, perhaps they should get one of the Game of Thrones writers on board, since they've written quality, original screenplays that are pleasing to both the fans and the general audience. Frankly, however, I doubt that Sir Ian would want to don the beard, hat and cloak again, and frankly Gandalf not played by McKellen would be a travesty (unless they got John Hurt to do it).

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Apr 18 2014, 7:29am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 18 2014, 8:04am

Post #10 of 23 (4879 views)
Shortcut
It really depends on what story they wanted to tell. [In reply to] Can't Post

Would they focus on the Hobbits (Bilbo, Frodo growing up, death of his parents), do they focus on the Rangers (a Ranger of the North-like film), the recent Tauriel/Gollum suggestion, or something else? I'd be more interested in characters that we've already met/established in PJ's continuity.

I can't say I'd like (or dislike) the final product, but I think it would be interesting (and exciting) if something did happen. I'd rather a non-canon bridge film than for someone to mess up The Silmarillion.

On a practical level, the film (or set of films) would be complete fabrications. As long as they fitted in Tolkien's and PJ's Middle-earth, at least we could judge them solely as films (and not adaptations).

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 18 2014, 12:22pm

Post #11 of 23 (4882 views)
Shortcut
Not a bridge film, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I might be okay with one or more spin-off movies if done well enough. My own vote would be for exploring the early adventures of Aragorn. However, there is just so much that could go wrong, I'm almost afraid of the attempt.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 18 2014, 1:12pm

Post #12 of 23 (4870 views)
Shortcut
Ditto! [In reply to] Can't Post

I should have phrased the question better to include the spin-off option as well. Darn, another missed opportunity... Frown

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Apr 18 2014, 1:15pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 18 2014, 1:58pm

Post #13 of 23 (4868 views)
Shortcut
Sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm especially looking forward to the Lothlorien deli scene in "When Aragorn Met Arwen".

Elskidor
Rohan

Apr 18 2014, 2:54pm

Post #14 of 23 (4853 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

On the fence. I'm all around not so sure any more. I still enjoy the Hobbit films, but they are not as good as the lotr movies. Something that once was is now missing. I still like PJ and company and know they have been busting butt to make great movies, but something happened over the course of the last decade that has changed the quality of these movies. These OTT scenes and the CGI insanity (I was pro CGI, but quickly falling off that wagon) is just starting to rub me the wrong way.

CGI was suppose to help cinema, but it is taking a lot of realism out of movies. Movies taking place in a fantasy setting need as much realism as they can afford to squeeze in. I suppose I'll has to see DoS extended and the finale film before making a judgement call on this.

malickfan
Gondor

Apr 18 2014, 4:15pm

Post #15 of 23 (4853 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially not if Jackson is involved, I sincerely hope TABA is the last 'Tolkien' film we see for quite some time.

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 18 2014, 5:19pm

Post #16 of 23 (4849 views)
Shortcut
Oh, steward! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm especially looking forward to the Lothlorien deli scene in "When Aragorn Met Arwen".

I'll have the Dorwinion the she-elf is drinking.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 18 2014, 5:35pm

Post #17 of 23 (4847 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

My own vote would be for exploring the early adventures of Aragorn. However, there is just so much that could go wrong, I'm almost afraid of the attempt.

Something along the lines of hunt for Gollum would be good.

Escapist
Gondor

Apr 18 2014, 5:39pm

Post #18 of 23 (4847 views)
Shortcut
I think that "The Hunt for Gollum" [In reply to] Can't Post

and "Born of Hope" embody the new set of expectations from the core Tolkien fanbase (bookwise) pretty well - although I am not so sure about the wider general audience.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 19 2014, 11:42am

Post #19 of 23 (4828 views)
Shortcut
I have to agree with Escapist [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Hunt for Gollum" would probably be best utilized as part of a bridge film telling the events that occurred between TH and LotR. I don't think that it would satisfy a general audience on its own. My own suggestion is to focus on Aragorn, beginning with the events involving his birth, the death of his father, his upbringing in Rivendell, to his journeys and errantries, ending with Aragorn's reunion with Arwen in Lothlorien. We have enough of a plot to engage an audience while keeping the story focused. As it is, there may be enough right here for at least two films: the first focused on Aragorn's journeys into the East and South including establishing his friendship with Gandalf; the second, on his service as Thorongil to Rohan and Gondor.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 19 2014, 3:11pm

Post #20 of 23 (4852 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ could direct if someone else wrote the script (your suggestions are right-on) AND he hired a ruthless editor to trim out his excesses.

This is sadly true for many big-name directors today. Please Joss Whedon, never lose your sense that "you must cut out the thing you love the most."

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 7:05pm

Post #21 of 23 (4773 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

I love The Hobbit films but really with what's been added there is no real way to make much of anything from what's left. I know based on what I've seen PJ could make for a great tale but I'd rather just leave us with what we have, and I can live the rest of my days with six fantastic movies. Cool

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

May 2 2014, 1:37pm

Post #22 of 23 (4751 views)
Shortcut
No thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm having enough trouble drumming up the excitement to see BotFA after the disappointment of DoS.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

May 2 2014, 7:18pm

Post #23 of 23 (4761 views)
Shortcut
No... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but MAYBE if it were someone other than Jackson. Like Radagast-Aiwendil, I've completely lost faith in Jackson and his writing team. Hopefully Jackson never gets his hands on The Silmarillion (and again like Radagast-Aiwendil, I never thought I'd end up having this opinion before seeing PJ's treatment of The Hobbit).

Truth be told, I'd rather see a truer, romance-free remake of The Hobbit.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on May 2 2014, 7:23pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.