Does it bother anyone else...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jtarkey
Rohan

Apr 18 2014, 9:04am

Post #1 of 26 (1498 views)
Shortcut
Does it bother anyone else... Can't Post

That PJ's daughter says "here you are" to Thorin In the prologue with a seemingly Midwestern American accent in the prologue?

I don't know why, but it really bothers me. Thoughts...

That is all.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

^^^ That unnecessary apostrophe and "e" is due to the leaf itself. And this part of the signature was documented quite some time after the effect had worn off.

Chancewind
Bree

Apr 18 2014, 9:26am

Post #2 of 26 (1058 views)
Shortcut
She's definitely using [In reply to] Can't Post

an English west-country accent. It was way overdone, but that's what it was.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 18 2014, 9:48am

Post #3 of 26 (981 views)
Shortcut
I remember [In reply to] Can't Post

people had the same complaint about Sean Astin's accent for Sam (which I believe was also supposed to be west-country). I think it's one that has more similar sounds to some American accents than most British accents do but that we don't hear much over here, so it's easy to misidentify.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Name
Rohan

Apr 18 2014, 1:00pm

Post #4 of 26 (831 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

Did it bother you that it was American? Because trust me, that wasn't nearly as thick as many Midwestern/Western accents I've heard (being American myself).

I have never had a problem with Sean Astin's accent. This is probably due to me being an American myself, and it may sound more extreme to people who are used to the British accent. Not sure what you meant by the term "West Country" (are you talking English or American)? To me, Astin has a very light accent, not what I'd call the classic Western-American.

Just my 2 cents Crazy

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 18 2014, 1:08pm

Post #5 of 26 (806 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

No more than it bothers me that they're speaking English thousands of years before Chaucer.

Anyway, as long as their accents don't sound like "Honey Boo Boo: The Movie", I'm good.

https://www.facebook.com/slatesforsarah

book Gandalf
Rohan

Apr 18 2014, 1:16pm

Post #6 of 26 (797 views)
Shortcut
mish mash anway [In reply to] Can't Post

she definitely doing a somerset/dorset accent on this line, but not cornish! which is also in the west country. its good enough, but the line before is the shocker 'watch it' she says with a very strong 'T', which is actually more welsh than the soft 'Ts' of the west country. so i think its abit of a mash up of two very different accents, which is a shame.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 18 2014, 1:36pm

Post #7 of 26 (766 views)
Shortcut
No... [In reply to] Can't Post

..why should it? I hadn't noticed her sounding American, but if she did, it's over so quickly.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2014, 1:42pm

Post #8 of 26 (775 views)
Shortcut
It didn't bother me [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe because it was a one liner basically so I wasn't put off by it. I was indeed more put off by Astin's accent which I found really distracting.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Thranderz
Rohan

Apr 18 2014, 2:17pm

Post #9 of 26 (756 views)
Shortcut
Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

Being English Sean Astin's accent can be a bit dodgy, but I'm used to it now and I've grown to love it. Tongue

On another note! In the scene with Thranduil and Tauriel, EL sounds very american when she says "I do not think...". That puts me off every time. Unsure

Seriously, check it out!

I simply walked into Mordor.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2014, 2:26pm

Post #10 of 26 (750 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to look for that one [In reply to] Can't Post

And yeah I meant to say I love Astin in the role of Sam and I wouldn't have it any other way. I thought he did a terrific job and I'm glad he was cast in the role. His accent does bother me a bit (maybe because I'm American and it seems like he's "trying" to do the accent to much) but overall I loved and adored him in the role.

I'll look for the EL one. Again I think for me if it's a one off phrase I tend not to notice as much as if it's prolonged.

There are times when I have noticed a change even though it was brief. For instance, in Fargo this last week at the start in a couple of scenes Martin Freeman to me clearly "dropped" the accent very subtly in a couple of scenes very briefly. I did notice that probably because though Im more familiar with the mid west accent having good friends from Bemidji and also because the accent itself was so pronounced. i think thus if we have an ear for something we tend to hear it vs if we don't.

I will definitely look for EL's though to see.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 18 2014, 2:54pm

Post #11 of 26 (717 views)
Shortcut
I noticed that too [In reply to] Can't Post

EL's accent is pretty light throughout the film, but there were a few lines that sounded particularly American/Canadian to me. She still sounds...cultured?.. though, so it wasn't jarring, but as something of a linguist I found it quite noticeable.

I also noticed Katie Jackson's accent seemed a tiny bit off, but it's over so quickly I didn't give it much thought.

keep smiling Smile

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Apr 18 2014, 2:55pm

Post #12 of 26 (716 views)
Shortcut
Love Sam's accent [In reply to] Can't Post

As a Brit, I thought the accent works very well in the films. It's only after seeing the films and seeing interviews of Sean and Elijah that I was shocked to hear their true American accents.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 18 2014, 3:10pm

Post #13 of 26 (735 views)
Shortcut
It bothered me so much [In reply to] Can't Post

that I immediately stepped out of the theatre.It ruined my cinema experience irrepairably.What a shame.Frown

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's"

shadowdog
Rohan

Apr 18 2014, 4:40pm

Post #14 of 26 (673 views)
Shortcut
OK [In reply to] Can't Post

Now tell us how you really felt. LOL

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 18 2014, 4:49pm

Post #15 of 26 (666 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

You are right.It did not bother me at all.I did not even notice it.The scene lasted for about 2 seconds for crying out loudLaugh

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's"

Chancewind
Bree

Apr 18 2014, 5:46pm

Post #16 of 26 (633 views)
Shortcut
I would say [In reply to] Can't Post

That it isn't a somerset accent either; the vowels were just too elongated. Though that could have just been the over-the-topness of it. Dorset seems a good fit, could be. I re-watched the scene and you're spot on about the "Watch it!" line: it did have a very South-Wales inflection. Personally I'd hazard that was coincidence, however.

In Reply To
she definitely doing a somerset/dorset accent on this line, but not cornish! which is also in the west country. its good enough, but the line before is the shocker 'watch it' she says with a very strong 'T', which is actually more welsh than the soft 'Ts' of the west country. so i think its abit of a mash up of two very different accents, which is a shame.

sycorax82
Rohan

Apr 18 2014, 5:49pm

Post #17 of 26 (639 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was obviously a British west country accent [In reply to] Can't Post

She sounds (and looks!) more like a Hobbit in that scene. I hope Katie wouldn't find that an insult...:p but it's true! Hopefully we will see her again in TABA.

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 18 2014, 6:49pm

Post #18 of 26 (629 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't notice, but I don't have an ear for language or music, unless it's really bad. Like the accents that come and go in Kevin Costner's Robin Hood, for example (a movie I enjoy anyway, in a nothing-else-to watch kind of way. Alan Rickman makes it worthwhile).

Did notice as a waitress she looked properly disheveled and in a hurry, I know what that feels like. Did notice Thorin saying thank you. Did notice Gandalf's fingernails are dirty and cracked, a little detail I find fascinating (re all the care put into these films).

And I idly thought that these guys need some vegetables, there's too many carbs w. the bread and potatoes. (Not that poor Thorin ever gets to eat, apparently, without some kind of interruption.)
And I love the brief shot of the beautiful black cat looking the room over. Most of all, Iove the scene and so happy they put it in DOS.Evil

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 18 2014, 9:28pm

Post #19 of 26 (574 views)
Shortcut
I noticed this but it doesn't bother me [In reply to] Can't Post

On another note! In the scene with Thranduil and Tauriel, EL sounds very american when she says "I do not think...".

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 18 2014, 10:20pm

Post #20 of 26 (570 views)
Shortcut
I think she is meant to be a hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just noticed watching it a day or two ago that she's smaller than Thorin, and obviously smaller than Gandalf. The scale isn't instantly apparent, because she's standing and they're sitting. But of course it's perfectly reasonable that there would be a hobbit barmaid in Bree.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Azimuth
The Shire

Apr 18 2014, 10:45pm

Post #21 of 26 (554 views)
Shortcut
I think she's not a hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

In the credits her surname is Butterbur, as far as I remember. And one of the assassins is Ferny Smile

Thranduiliel
Bree

Apr 18 2014, 10:48pm

Post #22 of 26 (542 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

me too with Evangeline Lilly Also with her 'As ordered my Lord' the 'or' sounds were more elongated than it should have been, so it came out as a bit of a drawl.

Also with Thranduil's 'Other lands are not my concern', he lost his English accent for a brief time. Although Lee Pace's English accent has vastly improved since Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (where his accent was a bizarre mix of Yorkshire and Scottish), his "r's" went a little soft American, giving him a slight Irish lilt during that line. Not that I mind listening to anything Lee Pace has to say in whatever accent he chooses to use...HeartLaugh

(This post was edited by Thranduiliel on Apr 18 2014, 10:50pm)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2014, 1:41am

Post #23 of 26 (525 views)
Shortcut
English [In reply to] Can't Post

Sean Astin was doing a West Country accent. The West Country is an area of the south-west of England.

As an American I can't evaluate how well or poorly he was doing it but it sounded pretty clear to me he wasn't using any American accent in the films.

deskp
Lorien

Apr 19 2014, 4:29am

Post #24 of 26 (482 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

i thought it sounded like she was trying to do something kindof Irish.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 19 2014, 7:21am

Post #25 of 26 (470 views)
Shortcut
It sounds like normal Westron to me. / [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.