Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 17 2014, 8:30pm

Post #1 of 3 (356 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

It's Thursday, the sun is shining, Spring is springing in my neighborhood, perhaps in yours, too; or perhaps Fall is falling. Whatever the weather, and however far you've gone this week, welcome to the Walk to Rivendell, where TORnFolk celebrate the human-powered miles we travel by turning them into journeys through Middle Earth!

So... How go your journeys this week?

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 17
Cumulative miles: 1126
Goal: There and Back Again!

It's been a hectic week for me & mine, but I somehow managed to be more active through my Hobbit's Odyssey of the Mind tournament, errands, meetings, and a TEDx Youth Conference yesterday with Beamer. Win-win on that front. Sadly, though, my poor garden is looking more and more forlorn. I must get some quality weed-pulling and landscaping miles in soon, or suffer the wrath of the weed seeds!

On our Middle Earth journey, we're still with Bilbo and Gandalf on the dreary road from the Lonely Mountain to Beorn's place. trudge, trudge!

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 8
Cumulative miles: 1012
Goal: Group Challenge

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Apr 20 2014, 3:57am

Post #2 of 3 (319 views)
Shortcut
Short week [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems like the last post was just yesterday! I've only managed 7.2 as tim flew during good weather.
I was also distracted by the eclipse Monday/Tuesday.

New miles: 7.2
Challenge miles: 525.14
Total miles: 605.24
To go: 441.86

It feels like Spring here but doesn't look it yet.
Here's my pics of the eclipse, or as Kili would say -- Fire-Moon.

The blue star is Spica (in Virgo)

A wider view with Mars on the far right.

I also got a few pics of Jupiter and the Galilean moons, but they can wait another day.

Happy Ēostre everyone!

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 20 2014, 11:27pm

Post #3 of 3 (315 views)
Shortcut
Howdy Walkers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here we are again! I've been able to get out and start working on my yard, but it's still hard to find the quiet time to really zen-in on it.

I've been getting some extra miles in during the work week breaks and taking the stairs in just for the heck of it. They're really steep and lots of them... so regardless of how much regular walking and exercising I've done, it still leaves me breathing funny ;)

Thanks for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel! FINALLY... the good weather is visiting more and more :)

Miles covered: 21 miles
Cumulated miles: 3221
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.