The Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part III
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 15 2014, 5:27pm

Post #76 of 210 (15387 views)
Shortcut
     *flips through textbook* [In reply to]  

Let's see here. *reading* Hmm. She doesn't say exactly why or how, but the author seems to be implying that puberty has something to do with it. (Doesn't it always?)Wink

"So I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine"
--Hillsong United

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Apr 15 2014, 5:36pm

Post #77 of 210 (15373 views)
Shortcut
     Interesting...Thanks for looking!! [In reply to]  

One more favour...Angelic. Is there a name for it? It sounds quite fascinating, and I'm just an information sponge.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 15 2014, 6:04pm

Post #78 of 210 (15394 views)
Shortcut
     Nope. No name. [In reply to]  

The author didn't go into much detail about it at all other than what I talked about in my previous posts. I wish she had though. I think it's fascinating too.Cool

When oceans rise
--Hillsong United

Kerewyn
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 11:22am

Post #79 of 210 (15421 views)
Shortcut
     On Thranduil's sword - for you, Lurker [In reply to]  

If you don't mind, is there is anything in there about Thranduil's weaponry? As you might have noticed, I have taken quite a fancy to that beautiful sword, and the partial sheath he wears to hold it in the orc interrogation scene.

Yes there is a little bit. Chronicles author & Weta designer Daniel Falconer says:

"Thranduil's sword was a lucky first strike. Paul Tobin and I offered a handful of concepts and Peter picked one straight out. I liked the conceptual purity of an entire sword that was crafted from a single piece of metal, handle and all, a severity and simplicity that befit Thranduil. Cut-throughs and filigree wove like vines along the handle, offering grip, and subtracting weight from the blade itself. Weta Workshop Swordsmith Peter Lyon's finished prop was an exceptional piece of work."

There's an image too, which I'll post for you soon. Gimme a day or so, I'll need to photograph during daylight (coz these pages are glossy! and I don't have a scanner)

Nothing about the sheath, but I may be able to do some detective work on that...

I suppose that line ties in with his Fisher King inspiration. I don't know if you're aware: there was a TORn article a ringer wrote in response to his mention of the Fisher King and Oberon that expands on this quite well I thought.

No I wasn't aware, was it recently? I don't suppose you have a link? *bats eyelashes*

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 16 2014, 11:59am

Post #80 of 210 (15358 views)
Shortcut
     What about symmetry then? Wrath! Ruin! And that theme... [In reply to]  

Erm... Oropher=Oro -> Thranduil=Thrando -> Legolas=Lego ??

Maybe the diminutive for Oropher could just be "Oro"? Cuz I know an elf wouldn't want anyone confusing him with a dwarf.

LOL... That one popped right into my head when Vanima mentioned Wild Thing, but somehow Thranduil doesn't give me the mop top vibe, you know? Jangly guitars neither. I rather thought this might be his theme, given the very different hats he wears across the spectrum. Or one of these 2 songs, depending on how who you speak to.

Ok, ok... aside from my electric guitar hangup, I do think either Hall of the Mountain or this
(to me) souped up version would be so Thranduil's theme.

But, but, but...As much as I like calling him Thrandy, if we call him Wild Thing too then we get to have this as his theme song!EvilLaughTongue It's too perfect! Just like him!Heart

Yeah, read or else (cue orc beheading) ...

I think it would so surprise educators the demand for readings Wink

My goodness, could LP possibly be any sweeter?Heart Re: Thranduil reading in schools, Oooooh yeeeeah, that would be a major boost for Literacy advocacy! Wink

Elvenking enthrallment
--------------------------
Thranduil Appreciation thread III
Thranduil Appreciation thread II
Thranduil Appreciation thread

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Apr 16 2014, 12:01pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 16 2014, 12:08pm

Post #81 of 210 (15373 views)
Shortcut
     Found this artwork of that BTS of Thranduil in armour [In reply to]  

http://hart-coco.tumblr.com/...anduil-this-time-the

Elvenking enthrallment

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 16 2014, 12:15pm

Post #82 of 210 (15393 views)
Shortcut
     Linkie with thanks! [In reply to]  

Here it is, Kerewyn: Thranduil, The Fisher King and Oberon; Why It Matters

Thanks very much for the details. "...severity and simplicity...", "Cut-throughs and filigree... subtracting weight from the blade itself". Practical simplicity and yet so aesthetical. Heart

Elvenking enthrallment

Kerewyn
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 12:54pm

Post #83 of 210 (15345 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil cosplay [In reply to]  

So - I went to Supanova in Melbourne...
(my post) http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

Stalking...

...moving in...

..captured.

This guy has done a wonderful job on his costume.I inspected the crown closely - it was made from a modelling clay and looked very close to the real design. He told me he is working on having all five of Thranduil's garments, so I'll have to keep an eye out for him at future cons.

Then went on to win - out of all the fandoms present - Best Cosplay, to rapturous applause. This cosplayer has his own fangirls! He even performed a cloak 'throw down' (which I was too slow to photograph)

And I just like this photo from a lineup of entrants....

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 16 2014, 1:06pm

Post #84 of 210 (15344 views)
Shortcut
     That cloak throwdown! [In reply to]  

Must be priceless to witness that.

Thanks for sharing Smile

Elvenking enthrallment

Kerewyn
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 1:32pm

Post #85 of 210 (15332 views)
Shortcut
     And thank you so much ... [In reply to]  

.. for that link :)
Good to get the lowdown on the Fisher King and Oberon, with whom I was not really familiar.
Wow. I had never considered that before, that the state of Mirkwood could be connected to Thranduil's state of mind.

And I am more impressed than ever with Lee's embracing of his role, as the author of the piece also mentions. We've already been treated to such depth of character in such a small amount of screen time. As she says, there's a lot to look forward to.

RandomSilvanElf
The Shire

Apr 16 2014, 2:28pm

Post #86 of 210 (15339 views)
Shortcut
     Great! [In reply to]  

I love this one! To be truthful I like better than the original line. I wish the elves in the movie were more playful like this :)

Spoofy take on the second Thranduil scene in DOS: elflings are hard work

"Caras Galadhon… the heart of Elvendom on earth. Realm of Lord Celeborn and Galadriel, Lady of Light"

http://betweenfictionandreality.wordpress.com/

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2014, 4:11pm

Post #87 of 210 (15302 views)
Shortcut
     Excellent! [In reply to]  

Some people are so talented. Of course having such a fabulous subject to paint probably helps.Wink

When oceans rise
--Hillsong United

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 17 2014, 1:36pm

Post #88 of 210 (15265 views)
Shortcut
     Interesting, isn't it? [In reply to]  

It does have a logical tie-in, the link between lord and land, especially a land of "faerie" and magic. Who needs great Rings of Power to do awesome stuff? Smile

We've been lucky to get an actor who can throw himself into a role so completely. In my forays into the Wild looking for Thranduil stuff, I find it amusing to see comments along the lines of "OMG! How can the Pie-maker and Thranduil be the same person!?!!!"

While I've not seen everything in his filmography, I think it's safe to say that it's the same actor in these 2 vastly different roles tells us a lot about Lee's dedication to his craft. Can't wait to see more.

And of course, I'm certainly looking forward to the inclusion of more Thranduil/Mirkwood in the DOS EE, especially the white stag bit that Richard Armitage mentioned.

And I am more impressed than ever with Lee's embracing of his role, as the author of the piece also mentions. We've already been treated to such depth of character in such a small amount of screen time. As she says, there's a lot to look forward to.

Elvenking enthrallment

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 17 2014, 1:39pm

Post #89 of 210 (15282 views)
Shortcut
     That goes without saying // [In reply to]  

Elvenking enthrallment

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 17 2014, 1:43pm

Post #90 of 210 (15339 views)
Shortcut
     another nice piece of artwork [In reply to]  

If you like this pic, you'll like this colour background enhanced version.

Elvenking enthrallment

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 18 2014, 1:11pm

Post #91 of 210 (15326 views)
Shortcut
     Fanart of the day... I've not seen this before [In reply to]  

Thranduil in a characterful pose: http://ladymintleaf.deviantart.com/art/Thranduil-hidden-thoughts-435091148

Elvenking enthrallment

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2014, 2:10pm

Post #92 of 210 (15224 views)
Shortcut
     Lovely [In reply to]  

I like how introspective he looks in that one.Smile

When oceans rise
--Hillsong United

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 19 2014, 2:53pm

Post #93 of 210 (15235 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah... [In reply to]  

As in, "Damn, what if Thorin really does sit it out for 100 years?" Tongue

I like how the artist used a combo of shots we've seen with some improvision to do this.

Elvenking enthrallment

Nimloth
Lorien

Apr 20 2014, 5:50am

Post #94 of 210 (15208 views)
Shortcut
     What dedication! [In reply to]  

Thanks for posting those Kerewyn. His costume looks pretty close to the real thing. Did he make it himself?

Kerewyn
Rohan

Apr 20 2014, 10:46am

Post #95 of 210 (15190 views)
Shortcut
     Yes, true dedication. [In reply to]  

Yes he did. He told me he is working on making all Thranduil's costumes, and that this one had already taken up more fabric than any previous costume he's ever made. I didn't ask about the brooch (not sure if that has become available from any jewellers) if he made that, as he did the crown, the design looked to be spot on as well.

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today." (Dr Seuss)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 20 2014, 2:25pm

Post #96 of 210 (15337 views)
Shortcut
     About the bling on his right hand (or have I too much time for nerding?) [In reply to]  

So I was reading the bit about Elves and marriage rings from the HoME bit about Elven laws and customs vanima provided in thread II, and saw this char pic of Thranduil right here on TORn

... and the little grey cells starting wiggling at the part about Elves wearing their wedding rings on the right index finger. Looking at the two rings on Thranduil's right hand, they have the same thematic look. Lee Pace has mentioned all the rings Thranduil wear have stories behind them,and he's had some serious unhappiness in his life... so could it be that the second ring he wears belonged to his Queen, who might be dead or went West? Mawkish, yeah, but it's fun to speculate until we hear otherwise Tongue

Oh here's a better look at all them blings.

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2014, 12:49am

Post #97 of 210 (15208 views)
Shortcut
     Why must LP be such a tease? [In reply to]  

He tells us that all those rings have their own story, but then doesn't tell us what those stories are. It's just not fair, I tell ya! Unless the scarring back-story of one of those rings is a spoiler for the last movie, I see no reason why he can't tell us about them now. I sure hope that one of the upcoming books or even one of the extras in the DOS EE appendices has info on what the story of each and every one of his rings is or I will be seriously unhappy.Mad

I've always assumed that the ring with the big honkin' rock on it is probably his signet ring, don't you think?

Interesting theory about the two rings on his right hand. I read that HoME bit that you linked and I notice it says that the rings that the bride and bridegroom give each other when they're betrothed are silver, and, lookie there: Thrandy's rings are silver! It makes sense too that if the second ring belonged to his wife that it would be smaller so he'd have to wear it on his ring finger.

The only thing I saw in the HoME bit that is inconsistent with this theory is that it said, at the actual wedding, while both bride and bridegroom keep the silver rings that they gave each other when they were betrothed, they then start wearing a gold ring instead of the silver. I didn't have time to read the whole document, so I don't know if it said anything about what they do with these rings if one of the spouses should die. But I wonder if maybe the surviving spouse would stop wearing the gold ring and go back wearing one, if not both of the silver rings as a visual symbol that, "Yes, I am married, but my spouse died."? (Did that make any sense at all?) And like it said in the earlier part of the document, even if one elven spouse dies, the two are technically still married, unless both consent to disunion because the living spouse wants to get married again. I think it's pretty safe to say that Thrandy doesn't appear to have wanted to get married again, so, yeah.

My only question then would be, what do they do with the gold rings? Hey, wait a minute...Thrandy has a gold ring on his other hand!Shocked Of course, it's not exactly the simple gold band talked about the the HoME bit, but then again, Thrandy isn't exactly known for his simplicity now, is he?Wink

"But there’s empty cross, there’s an empty tomb
Fire and wind now sweeping in this tiny upper room
There’s a hungry world, there’s a risen King
Unlock the doors, what reason more could we ever need?
So sing with me, I dare you to
Because there’s an empty cross; there’s an empty tomb"
~Empty (Disciples)-sung by Dan Haseltine and Matt Hammitt

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 21 2014, 4:34am

Post #98 of 210 (15270 views)
Shortcut
     We keep falling back on banking on extras in the EE, don't we? [In reply to]  

I want to know the history of his swords too. Did the smiths forge them after the Last Alliance or have they seen battle during that war? I do hope we get some info at some point.Mad

On the 2 rings on his right hand
Eh, firstly, I must say my theory is based on a few caveats:
  • The Laws and Customs bit did mention that the described rituals are based on Noldorin practices and also that of the Dark Elves, not much is known of their customs. Given the 2 strikes of Thranduil being one of the Dark Elves, and the negativity Thranduil's family have against the Noldor, not all that is written might or would apply.
  • Movie laws and customs - we don't know what the team has decided to co-opt or exclude or create... plus we don't know how much Lee Pace's stories about the bling is based on canon, the production team's input and his own research/creation
The text does mention that the betrothal silver rings would be melted down and never be recycled if the betrothal is called off. But there's no mention of what happens to the gold wedding rings should a spouse die or leave for the West. So we're left with quite some room for theorizing and speculating. Tongue

While the text mentioned betrothal rings are silver and marriage rings gold, it may not be quite the same for Mirkwood, or maybe just Thranduil's family. So if this little theory is right, I'd say it's quite safe to say the rings are marriage rings and not betrothal rings. And if it is true that the ring on Thranduil's index finger is his marriage ring, and the one on his ring finger belonged to his queen, I'm thinking the movie-verse might be giving the Elrond-Celebrian treatment to Thranduil's marriage. He might be wearing her ring as a memo from her to meet up in the West. Or if movie-canon is going the uber-melodrama route, she died and he is wearing it in memory (OOOH, fanfic plot bunnies bouncing in my poor head!).

Anyway, while the text focused on Noldor customs, I do think it would be safe to say Thranduil, like most Elves, would not be inclined to remarry if his queen has indeed died. So I don't think he'd wear the betrothal rings in such a way, since the text says during the betrothal period, either party may rescind it; unless he wants trouble that is. The marriage rings would do the work of sending a firm message, either "I am married/not available", or "yeah, my spouse is no more, but no thanks, I'm not looking again" (which shouldn't be necessary given the elves' propensity for monogamy and Thranduil being well-known enough that the female elf population know it's a foregone case anyway).

But I wonder if maybe the surviving spouse would stop wearing the gold ring and go back wearing one, if not both of the silver rings as a visual symbol that, "Yes, I am married, but my spouse died."?

That other index finger's ring
I would think so. Also, its got a bit of a glow like but not as great as Nenya (of course), which makes me wonder if its a minor ring of power of some sort? It may be Oropher's, passed down the line.

I've always assumed that the ring with the big honkin' rock on it is probably his signet ring, don't you think?

The gold ring on his left ring finger
I find the snake motif interesting. Reminds me of the Ring of Barahir that Aragon wore, which is of course a famous ring with a long history. But that ring was silver and had 2 snakes intertwined with green emerald eyes. Thranduil's has the one snake (?) in gold with a very different design. Wonder if there is a link between the two, though of course Barahir's ring is tied again to the Noldor, so it might be just a coincidence or a common ring theme for Elven rulers or nobility?

Thranduil is King! He has austere elegance, and that is not to be mistaken for simplicity. A complex elf with a complex history, and who knows what complexes by the time we get done with the trilogy? Smile

Hey, wait a minute...Thrandy has a gold ring on his other hand!Shocked Of course, it's not exactly the simple gold band talked about the the HoME bit, but then again, Thrandy isn't exactly known for his simplicity now, is he?

This is fun. And hey, wonder if that outfit he wore in the char pic (same as in the AUJ prologue right?) will be seen onscreen again?

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Apr 21 2014, 4:40am)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2014, 2:30pm

Post #99 of 210 (15166 views)
Shortcut
     Outfit [In reply to]  

wonder if that outfit he wore in the char pic (same as in the AUJ prologue right?) will be seen onscreen again?

Yeah, I think it's the same outfit as in the AUJ prologue. Will we see it onscreen again? Hmm. Well, the only TABA outfit we know about for sure is the armor he'll wear during Bo5a. I guess if he wears the prologue outfit again, it would have to be before or after Bo5a. Maybe he could wear it before he and his army leave Mirkwood, or, if we get the scenes from the book where Bilbo and Gandalf ride with the elves for awhile before parting ways to head home, he could wear it then.

Then again, would Thrandy even still have that outfit after all those years between the AUJ prologue and the present? Depending on how often he wore it, it might have worn out by now. If that's the case, the only chance we'll have of seeing it again would be in flashback sequences of some sort.

Of course, the only other option would be *drumroll please* The extras in one of the EEs!Tongue

"But there’s empty cross, there’s an empty tomb
Fire and wind now sweeping in this tiny upper room
There’s a hungry world, there’s a risen King
Unlock the doors, what reason more could we ever need?
So sing with me, I dare you to
Because there’s an empty cross; there’s an empty tomb"
~Empty (Disciples)-sung by Dan Haseltine and Matt Hammitt

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 22 2014, 9:02am

Post #100 of 210 (15117 views)
Shortcut
     Well, if the movie was keeping the book timeline [In reply to]  

it may be getting a little ratty by the time December rolls around for BoFA. But well, he could have had it remade even if the one we saw had its day, unless it's no longer fashionable togs?

LOL... we're so hung up on Extras in the EE like a bad addiction, or is it an itch we can't properly scratch. Crazy

... pretty quiet around here these days, isn't it?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.