Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
EXCLUSIVE - The Hobbit: There and Back Again may become The Hobbit: Into the Fire?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Guert
Rivendell

Apr 16 2014, 4:52pm

Post #26 of 63 (1089 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

No

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Apr 16 2014, 5:06pm

Post #27 of 63 (1091 views)
Shortcut
No, no! Boo! [In reply to] Can't Post

There and Back Again is such a perfect title, Into the Fire sounds like some cheap teen flick. Now, as many have pointed out it doesn't necessarily have to be for the movie, it could be any kind of other thing, which I really hope. But if it is for the movie, then... boo!

zalmoxis
Bree

Apr 16 2014, 5:27pm

Post #28 of 63 (1074 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

franchise mutated into "some cheap teen flick" long ago, although production was expensive. (IMO)

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 16 2014, 5:45pm

Post #29 of 63 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Nope, won't happen.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Our destiny lies above us.

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 16 2014, 5:51pm

Post #30 of 63 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Polls update [In reply to] Can't Post

3 hours later:

Poll in community 1 (~100000 members) (link)

Poll in community 2 (~30000 members) (link)

Poll in community 3 (~10000 members) (link)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 16 2014, 5:53pm

Post #31 of 63 (1107 views)
Shortcut
I also can think of it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as of a kind of a experiment by the studios: to check out the reaction to see if the audiences would embrace the idea of this or that title, without actually going so far (yet) to change it.
Just to "leak" a rumor and see how the reaction is.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 6:09pm

Post #32 of 63 (1118 views)
Shortcut
we are all secretly thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

The two-film split was inevitable. CrazyAngelic

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Imladris18
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 6:51pm

Post #33 of 63 (1022 views)
Shortcut
Which seems to be overwhelmingly negative. [In reply to] Can't Post

Check our facebook post about it. I don't think 1 person has reacted positively, and this is from a FAN SITE lol.

I personally wouldn't mind as long as it's reasonably justified. But hey, I like my PJ M-e.

Defiant
Bree

Apr 16 2014, 8:51pm

Post #34 of 63 (953 views)
Shortcut
Yeah but ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Fans are notorious for rejecting anything that shakes their paradigm or changes something they have become used to. Fan communities across genres tends to behave as if the sky is falling when there is even the slightest whiff of any kind of change in the wind. If the movie title gets changed, it gets changed. It doesn't affect the content, just what goes on the poster. TABA is a nice title and the reference to Bilb's book is cute, but it's an incredibly passive and dull title from a marketing point of view. If they go with something like Into the Fire or The Battle of Five Armies then it will be a marketing decision motivated by the desire to entice a broader audience. These movies cannot rely just on the existing fan base - they need new customers as well. DOS had lower audience attendance numbers than AUJ so the third film has something to prove. It still has to overcome the negative press that AUJ sustained so I expect the studio will pull out all stops to convince folks who didn't bother with DOS that they need to reconsider their stance on this property. Some fans are writing off the rumour as another 'cash-grab' as if the notion of commercial success is somehow inversely correlated to quality. That is entirely subjective, and why wouldn't we want these movies to do well? Don't we want them to actually make some money, or else what is all the talk about box office that goes on after every film comes out around here about? TABA or ITF or whatever, I'm more interested in what is in the film than what it is called.

Azimuth
The Shire

Apr 16 2014, 9:10pm

Post #35 of 63 (940 views)
Shortcut
I agree. For me the 3rd film can be named [In reply to] Can't Post

"Even more CGI Legolas" Wink It's the content that matters. AUJ in my country has been translated idiotically, as "incredible", not "unexpected", I still don't know why? In my language proper translation sounds similar, so I use it instead of "incredible" and I don't care if anyone has a problem with understanding it.

and why wouldn't we want these movies to do well? Don't we want them to actually make some money, or else what is all the talk about box office that goes on after every film comes out around here about?

True. I never thought that PJ makes his films for charity. He maybe is reacher than Krezus (as Martin Freeman said), but he works with hundreds of people who have to pay their bills and he has to pay them.

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 16 2014, 9:38pm

Post #36 of 63 (901 views)
Shortcut
Hm [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a fan of how some people seem to like to make this sound more likely than it actually is, imo. Especially those who jump to conclusions right away and take it as another opportunity for the "They have lost their touch with us great fans. And Tolkien. And Everything."

Although I think "Into the Fire" would have been a great alternative for "Desolation of Smaug" I can hardly see this being anthing but a potential game, documentary or something similar to that.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Rickster
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 9:39pm

Post #37 of 63 (974 views)
Shortcut
there are rumors online that instead of 3 it will be 4 movies [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be fantastic.
But for old people like me even more waiting.
Ah well, no matter how old we become there will Always be movies that we will miss .. even those born in 2014 will not see the movies made in 2150
If they make a super movie in 2050 most of us will miss it
sad but the way things are
so .. make it 4 movies PJ

Name
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 10:01pm

Post #38 of 63 (933 views)
Shortcut
I highly doubt it. [In reply to] Can't Post

No way The Hobbit will be 4 movies. Maybe a 4th bridge film, but even then, Into the Fire doesn't make sense.

"Thank goodness!" said Bilbo laughing, and handed him the tobacco-jar.

Screen cuts to black - 10 seconds of black screen

Black screen ends. Flash-forward of Balin holding off Moria goblins with a fully automatic machine gun. Balin's screams can be heard over the gunfire.

Screen cuts to black - "Directed By Peter Jackson" appears on screen. END

Imladris18
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 10:58pm

Post #39 of 63 (865 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic post. [In reply to] Can't Post

Agree 100%

Joe20
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 11:47pm

Post #40 of 63 (899 views)
Shortcut
Haven't posted in months but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to for this.

Please no. There and Back Again is the most perfect title, despite the fact that Bilbo seems to have gotten the shaft so far in these films.

To sacrifice such a wonderful title for another mindless addition that is clearly supposed to appeal to the masses would be such a shame.

sycorax82
Rohan

Apr 17 2014, 12:02am

Post #41 of 63 (893 views)
Shortcut
Movie 3 - 'Into The Fire', Movie 4 - 'There and Back Again' and how each will work [In reply to] Can't Post

The first movie ('Into The Fire') could open with the rescuing of Gandalf, the regrouping of the White Council and the assault on Dol Guldur.

Then we move to an extended, crazy-as-several-boxes-of-mad-hopping-frogs Smaug vs Laketown sequence, ending with a Sauron's spirit floating down into Smaug's corpse. Zombie Smaug comes screaming out of the Long Lake. Cut to credits!

The second movie ('There and Back Again' released Summer 2015) begins with the Dwarves being reunited and setting up base at Erebor's entrance. Everything involving the Arkenstone happens now, including Gandalf's return. He doesn't yet know that Sauron had one last trick up his sleeve, which was Zombie Smaug.

The Gathering of the Clouds occurs. The Battle of Five Armies begins, in which Bilbo has a very active part (unlike the book), as does Gandalf. Smaug appears and Gandalf takes him down single-handedly, using Radagast's staff, he channels the same power we saw Raddy use in AUJ to draw the darkness from the hedgehog Sebastian. Smaug's body tumbles into the Lake (again). We see Sauron's flaming eye fly across the landscape in retreat.

From this point on events transpire as you would expect. Though I believe Bolg will kill Tauriel in front of both Legolas and Kili. Legolas will lose his cool and fight Bolg like a mad Elf, before needing to be saved by Kili. Later, Azog will appear and cut down Fili and Kili before the final showdown with Thorin.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Apr 17 2014, 12:18am

Post #42 of 63 (858 views)
Shortcut
no way [In reply to] Can't Post

That would just be terrible. Each battle doesn't need its own movie...

syameese
Bree

Apr 17 2014, 1:38am

Post #43 of 63 (864 views)
Shortcut
If true, and if it stays at 3 films [In reply to] Can't Post

my concern would be that it indicates that the "back again" part of the movie may be done away with, similar to the cutting of the scouring of the Shire from the LOTR movies.

Now, as much as I would love to have the return home scene much like the book to end the movie, I have always thought it unlikely that it would make the final cut in any significant manner as it really would seem to be a big anticlimax after the emotional rollercoaster that the BoFA will provide.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2014, 3:22am

Post #44 of 63 (805 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

and treebeard shows up at the BOT5A!!!

photo 1bf768b4-0b33-420d-9c59-41ea3cf03def_zps1d44c4cf.jpg

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 17 2014, 4:01am

Post #45 of 63 (840 views)
Shortcut
New Line Cinema - the biggest trolls in show business. [In reply to] Can't Post

Look at all this publicity they're getting by just reigstering a name. It's amazing, isn't it?

Our destiny lies above us.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 17 2014, 6:21am

Post #46 of 63 (798 views)
Shortcut
Well, if you like a conspiracy ... [In reply to] Can't Post

We've not actually got any evidence or proof (yet) that New Line have done this. Could Orcs have taken over TORn and fabricated the entire story to draw in more interest to the website ... AngelicEvilWink

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Apr 17 2014, 6:25am)

Name
Rohan

Apr 17 2014, 1:07pm

Post #47 of 63 (678 views)
Shortcut
While we're at it..... [In reply to] Can't Post

And then Tom Bombadil appears riding Shadowfax, only to be killed by Gandalf. Gandalf then takes Shadowfax, and Tom's absence in FotR is explained.

"Thank goodness!" said Bilbo laughing, and handed him the tobacco-jar.

Screen cuts to black - 10 seconds of black screen

Black screen ends. Flash-forward of Balin holding off Moria goblins with a fully automatic machine gun. Balin's screams can be heard over the gunfire.

Screen cuts to black - "Directed By Peter Jackson" appears on screen. END

(This post was edited by Name on Apr 17 2014, 1:07pm)

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Apr 17 2014, 1:26pm

Post #48 of 63 (654 views)
Shortcut
Showing Gandalf and Balin's subsequent visit... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to Bag End at the end of TABA and Balin mentioning he's about to undertake said expedition is all we really need to know about that. I think it'll be more effective for future viewers who watch the movies in chronological order to learn of their fate in FOTR with the Fellowship themselves.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 17 2014, 1:59pm

Post #49 of 63 (643 views)
Shortcut
But what about GoldBerry?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Elvenking enthrallment
--------------------------
Thranduil Appreciation thread III
Thranduil Appreciation thread II
Thranduil Appreciation thread

Name
Rohan

Apr 17 2014, 2:21pm

Post #50 of 63 (642 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

....Goldberry had run away from home with the Entwives, which was why Tom was out looking for her in the first place. During his quest to quest to find her, Tom stumbles across Cirdan and Glorfindel, who he then kills out of rage, and burns down the Old Forest. He eventually makes it to Minas Tirith, where he kills Beregond's father, completely altering the time space continuum, and removing the existence of Beregond and Bergil. Tom then rides north, right into the BOFA.

Ah! But I forgot to mention that Beregond's father's death causes a massive chain reaction, causing the Prince of Dol Amroth to go to war with the Pukel Men, effectively wiping out both groups. This loss of fellow kindred makes Denethor a total jerk, but also causes him to lose his Palantir when he slips on a banana peel. Faramir feels bad for his father, and wants to prove himself, so he brings the hobbits to Osgiliath in the Two Towers.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

(This post was edited by Name on Apr 17 2014, 2:33pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.