The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Beorn torture scene?

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 9:34pm

Post #1 of 13 (1529 views)
Shortcut
Beorn torture scene? Can't Post

Does anybody else remember reading an interview with Micheal Persberant (I probably spelled that wrong) about an "embarrassing" torture scene he shot for The Hobbit? When do you think this would have fit in, assuming it's a flashback? Or, perhaps it hasn't happened yet. My theory: Beorn and Radagast show up at DG to save Gandy. Then, Gandy and Raddy escape, but Beorn is captured. This would be an ideal place for that torture scene. Then, the White Council shows up later and frees Beorn, who afterwards goes berserk, and helps destroy DG. Thoughts?

Rickster
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 9:35pm

Post #2 of 13 (1175 views)
Shortcut
we all hope it will not happen [In reply to] Can't Post

Dcole4
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 9:40pm

Post #3 of 13 (1175 views)
Shortcut
I think your scenario is what will happen... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully. That was the impression I had going into DOS. I assumed Gandalf would get captured earlier and Radagast and Beorn would bust him out, with Beorn being nabbed as they fled. And that would be part of the cliffhanger of DOS. Obviously that didn't work out. I get the feeling they pushed the bulk of the Dol Guldur plot to TABA since they had so much material for DOS. It is also the easiest plot to push (to help pad out film 3) since it's separate from the main storyline.

It'll be bizarre if film 3 opens and the white counsel just appears and saves Gandalf. They need to build up to it.

(This post was edited by Dcole4 on Apr 16 2014, 9:42pm)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2014, 1:55am

Post #4 of 13 (1040 views)
Shortcut
i think this scene was cut but it might not make it into the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

because this was when they were going to have Gandalf introduce the dwarves to Beorn, so i'm not sure if it can fit with the new structure with Beorn chasing them into his home ect.. I'm positive this scene was filmed because it was talked about by the actors.

photo 1bf768b4-0b33-420d-9c59-41ea3cf03def_zps1d44c4cf.jpg

swampB
Bree

Apr 17 2014, 1:55am

Post #5 of 13 (1043 views)
Shortcut
This... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it will be a flashback just after Thorin asks him how he knows Azog.

In Reply To

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2014, 1:57am

Post #6 of 13 (1010 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

have you heard anything official about Beorn joining the assault on dol-guldur? because that sounds amazing Cool

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 17 2014, 2:12am

Post #7 of 13 (993 views)
Shortcut
That's what I thought too.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Our destiny lies above us.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Apr 17 2014, 2:30am

Post #8 of 13 (1006 views)
Shortcut
Lego [In reply to] Can't Post

There's that Lego set with Beorn (by himself) in Dol Guldur. That could be a flashback that will be in the EE or a scene that was pushed to TABA.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Apr 17 2014, 2:32am

Post #9 of 13 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Beorn chase [In reply to] Can't Post

Has it been confirmed anywhere that the Beorn chase was actually shot as an alternative to the dwarves being introduced to him? I thought I read somewhere that those scenes were both part of the original shoot and the introduction just happened the next morning when they all woke up and Beorn finally had a chance to talk with them.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2014, 2:59am

Post #10 of 13 (977 views)
Shortcut
nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Arandir
Gondor

Apr 17 2014, 7:09am

Post #11 of 13 (978 views)
Shortcut
His torture occurs before (vlog 12) [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, that's what is being hinted at. When Beorn shows his chains and recounts that the orcs took his people as prisoners for sport, I'd imagine that's where a possible "torture scene flashback" would occur.

Beorn aiding Radagast (and possibly the White Council) to help Gandalf and attack Dol Guldur seems a definite possibility, but not that he is captured.

Remember in Vlog 12 (or 13?) when there's a scene between Gandalf and Radagast (and Ian McKellen messes up his lines)?

Roughly it goes ...

Gandalf: I suggest you leave now!
Radagast: Go after him?
Gandalf: Well there is little time ...

With Gandalf missing his staff and this scene not featuring in DOS (perhaps the EEs?), I always thought it will be part of TABA, with Gandalf being rescued and ordering Radagast to go after Beorn - who may have run off after some fleeing orcs from Dol Guldur - completely berserk - bringing him back in time for the BoFA.

Pure speculation here, but who knows ...Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

(This post was edited by Arandir on Apr 17 2014, 7:16am)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2014, 7:35am

Post #12 of 13 (987 views)
Shortcut
That is how Martin Freeman described in the EMPIRE podcast... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I read somewhere that those scenes were both part of the original shoot and the introduction just happened the next morning when they all woke up and Beorn finally had a chance to talk with them.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2014, 8:33pm

Post #13 of 13 (764 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but originally they had planned for a grudge between Bolg and Beorn. Bolg was Sauron's personal dungeon-master (or something of the sort), and it looked like they had been planning to set up a grudge between the two of them so Beorn could do what he does in the book (SPOILERS- Beorn is supposed to kill Bolg).

With all of the last-minute changes to that whole thing (including swapping Bolg and Azog's roles and completely deleting Conan Steven's performance), I have a feeling the whole "Beorn tortured" thing has been dropped.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.