A question for you
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 9:08pm

Post #1 of 35 (1404 views)
Shortcut
A question for you Can't Post

Have any other books or authors ever yielded such a series of blockbuster movies and fan discussions as Tolkien??
Shakespeare? StarWars?

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 16 2014, 9:19pm

Post #2 of 35 (1189 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock Holmes [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed, the term "canon" in the context of fictional works was first used by the fans of Holmes.

Holmes fandom was the first fandom.

http://www.denofgeek.us/...-the-original-fandom

https://www.facebook.com/slatesforsarah

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Apr 16 2014, 9:31pm)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 16 2014, 10:15pm

Post #3 of 35 (1170 views)
Shortcut
Do comic books count as books? [In reply to] Can't Post

If they do, what about the Marvel movies?

And as for fan discussion - it's hard to compare current internet fan sites with pre-internet fan clubs, where everything was done by mail. It seems like back in the 30's doing a whole series of movies based on books was pretty popular - The Thin Man, The Hardy Boys and so on, but I don't know if the fans had any way of getting together and discussing them.

Maybe some of the film history buffs on TORN can answer this?

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 10:24pm

Post #4 of 35 (1169 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars [In reply to] Can't Post

Coming from a massive Star Wars fan, Star Wars is definately up there with fan discussions and conventions.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 16 2014, 10:27pm

Post #5 of 35 (1169 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars didn't come from a book, though, did it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the movie came first, and then the books?

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2014, 12:50am

Post #6 of 35 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Tarzan? [In reply to] Can't Post

Though how many of the movies were actually based on the books and how many just based on the characters.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2014, 12:51am

Post #7 of 35 (1187 views)
Shortcut
Wait ... the obvious just hit me.... [In reply to] Can't Post

James Bond

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Nira
Lorien

Apr 17 2014, 4:57am

Post #8 of 35 (1139 views)
Shortcut
Harry Potter // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Calardan

Apr 17 2014, 2:00pm

Post #9 of 35 (1126 views)
Shortcut
Star Trek [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a bit biased and all, but really Star Trek is enormously popular, with constructed languages, internal histories, and important dialogue on the human (and often non-human) condition. Like Tolkien's work, Roddenberry's has great value to humanity and is widely recognized as singularly relevant and poignant.

Aiya Eärendil elenion ancalima!

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 17 2014, 2:21pm

Post #10 of 35 (1124 views)
Shortcut
The Bible [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Have any other books or authors ever yielded such a series of blockbuster movies and fan discussions as Tolkien??

Though 'fan discussions' have sometimes, regrettably, become violent.

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 17 2014, 2:48pm

Post #11 of 35 (1114 views)
Shortcut
You are correct. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Star Wars didn't come from a book, though, did it? I thought the movie came first, and then the books?

That's right, and that also applies to the later example of Star Trek. Here it is more the reverse, a huge canon of books, comics, televison shows and video games have grown out of the Star Wars movies. To a lesser extent for Star Trek where the various spin-off projects fail to feed into a consistant continuity.

On the other hand, the Tarzan novels and the tales of Sherlock Holmes are both excellent examples.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 17 2014, 2:52pm)

Annael
Immortal

Apr 17 2014, 2:52pm

Post #12 of 35 (1117 views)
Shortcut
well, Austen's work comes to mind. And George Eliot. and Dickens. [In reply to] Can't Post

I own four different versions of "Pride & Prejudice" myself and have seen several others; there are at least two dramatizations I've seen of every one of her other books as well.

I think I've seen 10 dramatizations of "Jane Eyre" (but only own two), and at least one of every other one of Eliot's books.

Same with Dickens. All of his works have been dramatized, many repeatedly. How many versions of "A Christmas Carol" are out there? Including one with Muppets!

I suspect their fandoms are just as multitudinous, if not more so, than any scifi or fantasy work. But probably quieter.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

Apr 17 2014, 2:54pm

Post #13 of 35 (1117 views)
Shortcut
although you could argue [In reply to] Can't Post

that it did, in a way: Lucas was inspired by Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces to deliberately create a heroic quest story set in space.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 17 2014, 3:00pm

Post #14 of 35 (1105 views)
Shortcut
That's a bit of a reach. [In reply to] Can't Post

Campbell was an inspiration for Lucas, but not the source of the story of Star Wars. Lucas borrowed from diverse sources: Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress; the aerial dogfight sequences from Tora, Tora, Tora!; Space Battleship Yamato; Laurel and Hardy; Arthurian legend; etc.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 17 2014, 3:18pm

Post #15 of 35 (1103 views)
Shortcut
There are lots of very active Jane Austen societies [In reply to] Can't Post

including one in my state - with lots of people I know belonging to it. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 17 2014, 3:57pm

Post #16 of 35 (1093 views)
Shortcut
How about Grimm's fairy tales? [In reply to] Can't Post

The illustrated books, movies, TV shows and stage plays must number in the hundreds. And then, of course, there's the Disney princess empire with quite a few characters from the Grimm tales. And those little girl princess fans are REALLY enthusiastic - the original Cosplay!

(This post was edited by Elarie on Apr 17 2014, 3:58pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 17 2014, 4:47pm

Post #17 of 35 (1103 views)
Shortcut
There are only 14 people on earth that can't relate to... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Beam me up Scotty!"

In Reply To
I am a bit biased and all, but really Star Trek is enormously popular, with constructed languages, internal histories, and important dialogue on the human (and often non-human) condition. Like Tolkien's work, Roddenberry's has great value to humanity and is widely recognized as singularly relevant and poignant.

>>>>THIS SPACE FOR HIRE<<<<
Contact Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole #14, Bywater Pool Road

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 17 2014, 5:15pm

Post #18 of 35 (1078 views)
Shortcut
James Bond is the one that hit me first, too // [In reply to] Can't Post

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

demnation
Rohan

Apr 17 2014, 8:09pm

Post #19 of 35 (1077 views)
Shortcut
True. Though not necessarily an apples to apples comparison, I think [In reply to] Can't Post

Austen, Dickens et al have the benefit of no longer being in copyright, therefore allowing many, many more adaptations to be made by whoever wants to make them and allowing their works to reach a potentially broader audience. Tolkien's work is, of course, still shackled by copyright. It will be interesting in about fifty years or so when it's not, though!

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 17 2014, 8:41pm

Post #20 of 35 (1067 views)
Shortcut
The Bible: plenty of blockbusters, and 'fan discussions' have on occasion lead beyond NARFing to open war. // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Apr 17 2014, 8:41pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 17 2014, 10:03pm

Post #21 of 35 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Oz might be headed for this list [In reply to] Can't Post

Between Oz the Great and Powerful, the Muppets version from 2005, SyFy's Tin Man in 2007, and a possible Wicked film adaptation in the future, it's certainly had it's share of renewed discussion in the last decade or so.

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 17 2014, 10:51pm

Post #22 of 35 (1054 views)
Shortcut
Agatha Christie comes to mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not as a big blockbuster, maybe, but her books have generated or inspired lots of movies, TV shows and episodes, and so on.

Though I have to add, I had to stop reading her books years and years ago. Too many hidden clues and surprise endings led to too-frequent longings to throw books across rooms. Not restful, not at all. Wink

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 17 2014, 11:30pm

Post #23 of 35 (1044 views)
Shortcut
What about Philp K Dick? [In reply to] Can't Post

Granted, most of the film adaptations of his books haven't been universally loved, but there sure have been a lot of them.

My Costuming Site

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 17 2014, 11:33pm

Post #24 of 35 (1049 views)
Shortcut
And both, when they are at their best, [In reply to] Can't Post

have amazing communities of people at their heart. Jim Kirk wouldn't get any farther without Spock and Bones than Frodo would without Sam.*

*Yes, I just heaped up the negatives. If Shakespeare and Chaucer could do it, so can we!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

glor
Rohan

Apr 17 2014, 11:44pm

Post #25 of 35 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Ducks for cover... [In reply to] Can't Post

Twilight

(never seen them but they are Blockbusters based on books with a huge fanbase)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.