The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A BIFUR Appreciation Thread!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 1:54pm

Post #1 of 14 (650 views)
Shortcut
A BIFUR Appreciation Thread! Can't Post

He's the guy who's always in the background, yet who never complains.

It's now up to us to make up this lack of limelight by showing our love for him! He deserves it. If you're not convinced, check this out: http://white-eagle.tumblr.com/...-to-talk-about-bifur. Smile

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Starglass
Rivendell

Apr 16 2014, 3:02pm

Post #2 of 14 (484 views)
Shortcut
Yay Bifur! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wondered if there had ever been a Bifur thread and I had missed it, but I guess not! Thanks BlackFox!

Bifur is so much fun, especially because I feel like there is something new to discover about him each time I watch the movie. Awhile ago my mom was trying to watch AUJ and get all the dwarves straight and had a hard time making out Bifur. So, I went through the movie looking especially for him and pointing him out, which helped me notice a lot myself. I really began to appreciate him after that and how he's doing so many things in the background (some of which I still missed before reading that link!)

My two personal favorite Bifur moments are roasting the lettuce (he looks so determined) and cheering during the hug (aww). I'm going to watch DoS again tonight and look especially for any Bifur moments I missed.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 4:37pm

Post #3 of 14 (474 views)
Shortcut
In the AUJ appendices [In reply to] Can't Post

we are shown that William Kircher decides to stand up on the eagle and wave his arms. Unfortunately I haven't caught a glimpse of Bifur on the eagle in the films as yet. Has any of you noticed that?

And when they throw the pinecones on fire at the Wargs and Orcs he screams (in KhuzdulCool) something like "Fire upon you" but I am sure we can't listen to his war cry in the final edit.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 5:05pm

Post #4 of 14 (468 views)
Shortcut
Isn't... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Unfortunately I haven't caught a glimpse of Bifur on the eagle in the films as yet. Has any of you noticed that?

... Bifur the one who gets knocked out of the tree by Bombur, starts to fall and lands on the back of an eagle?
http://youtu.be/7CLngTxBX9Q?t=2m12s

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 6:43pm

Post #5 of 14 (450 views)
Shortcut
Utterly love Bifur [In reply to] Can't Post

Love his look, love his boar spear (I expect great things from him re TABA), love the actor behind Bifur who always seems upbeat, enthusiastic, and such appreciation for the craftsmanship of the Hobbit. And I think WK would have made a good Master of Laketown tho love Stephen Hunter.

LOL when Bifur is knocking the spoons against his head during Bofur's song at Rivendell. And I always, always wonder what Bifur is thinking:

Image credit: http://wolfanita.deviantart.com/#

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

Arandir
Gondor

Apr 16 2014, 7:03pm

Post #6 of 14 (429 views)
Shortcut
A real pity [In reply to] Can't Post

I love each of the dwarves in their own way and Bifur no less.

Unfortunately, as with the majority of the others, we didn't get to see much of them.

I'm actually wondering whether we'll ever get the story William Kircher once talked about - on how Bifur talks only in Khuzdul but there's an emotional surprise at the end. I wonder whether the general audience (unaware that the character doesn't speak English) would actually get it.

That said, go Bifur - and the rest of the Company! Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

(This post was edited by Arandir on Apr 16 2014, 7:04pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 7:05pm

Post #7 of 14 (408 views)
Shortcut
Cool pic! // [In reply to] Can't Post

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 7:38pm

Post #8 of 14 (416 views)
Shortcut
Bifur saves Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

When the company are trying to escape the wargs at the end of AUJ Bifur saves Bilbo by nailing a warg in the head with a rock he throws. You can see it a 1:06 after Gandalf yells for Bilbo to climb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wOrLcXFpHY

Games-workshop who make a table top game of The Hobbit actually incoporated this brief moment into his rules.

But yeah, he's a pretty interesting character, it's a shame we don't get to here him speak more Khuzdul. It would be cool if we got to see him yell "Baruk Khazad" during the Bo5A as a tribute to Gimil in the Two Towers book.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 7:47pm

Post #9 of 14 (401 views)
Shortcut
Sigh - totally agree more dwarves! [In reply to] Can't Post

One thing that has struck me watching the Appendices and featurettes is HOW MUCH work these dwarf actors did, how dedicated they were developing their back stories including Bifur - there was and is so much going on with these characters (and some of it - a lot of it?) was filmed - but we never see it.

No, I don't think outside of the dedicated fan base the general audience would understand Bifur's arc, any more than they would really get that Nori had been "living hard" or that Gloin was the "moneybags".
I find myself desperately watching the Appendices and any extras just looking for little snippets of footage that shows some of the character stories.

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 7:50pm

Post #10 of 14 (400 views)
Shortcut
*grins* love this one [In reply to] Can't Post

and I personally am sure that Bifur is working out quantum physics equations, while he is cooking his lettuce in the fire.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 8:26pm

Post #11 of 14 (389 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't noticed that before. Way to go, Bifur! Smile

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 16 2014, 10:01pm

Post #12 of 14 (382 views)
Shortcut
I love the look on Bifur's face when he's riding along in that mining cart [In reply to] Can't Post

during the fight with Smaug. It could mean, "oh my gosh, we're being chased by a dragon", or, on the other hand, it could mean, "Wow! Disney World!"

William Kircher has done wonders with Bifur. Smile

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 16 2014, 10:21pm

Post #13 of 14 (376 views)
Shortcut
Bifur: Still waters run reeeeally deep. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a brilliant image. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Na Vedui
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 11:09pm

Post #14 of 14 (387 views)
Shortcut
It was Bifur... [In reply to] Can't Post

... who did the washing-up after the Unexpected Party, bless him.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.