The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Dwarves & Elves at Supanova, Melbourne

Kerewyn
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 12:15pm

Post #1 of 8 (1373 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves & Elves at Supanova, Melbourne Can't Post

So, thought I’d post a brief report on the Tolkien aspects of last weekend’s Supanova convention in Melbourne.

While very busy in its own right, Supanova is a small con compared with larger events in the US. Around half the cosplay and merchandise seems to be anime-related (is it like that at other cons?) so the representation of fandoms is smaller all round, though I did see at least seven Daenerys Targaryens walking around. However this means an easy crowd to negotiate, only 20 minutes or so for queuing, seats for everyone. And the proximity to New Zealand makes it quite likely to have some Middle Earth representation.

Like these guys:

This was a highly entertaining panel. Mark Hadlow is as goofy and animated as you see him in the EE appendices, and William Kirsher is also quite vivacious. They spoke about a lot of stuff I was already familiar with, from appendices interviews etc… but it was great to hear it from their own mouths.

There were tales about how incredibly hot and heavy the dwarf fat suits were, when water-logged during the barrel scene, and how Stephen Hunter especially was completely unable to move out of his barrel when the shooting was over. (during the barrel riding, there were stunt guys standing by forlornly, saying “any time you need us”, but all the dwarf actors were having too much fun)
Apparently the horses, tired of carrying dwarf weight, began to lie down on the job. The dwarves carried on about the weight of their garments and props until one day, Peter Jackson arrived wearing full WWI uniform with heavy backpack and weaponry, to make a point about the burden those young soldiers had to bear, and fight in as well.

Mark Ferguson talked a little bit about filming as Gil-Galad in FOTR, but mostly he was egging the other two on. It was an absolute treat also to hear William and Mark banter in their troll voices and perform some of those lines. Mark said how much he enjoyed having his dwarf self hit his troll self “in the balls with a pair of balls.”

Here, Mark Hadlow describes how it was very unsettling to have fish poured onto him in his barrel, and how a scale cut his eyelid.

Weta artist Chris Guise held a talk on designing creatures, looking at how textures and characteristics from real life were used for inspiration. I had a chat with him later in the day. Slightly bummed that I’d bought two Weta Chronicles books when in NZ recently, to save on order postage, only to realise I could have bought them here at Supanova with Chris to sign!

There was only a very small number of Middle Earth cosplayers, but they certainly made their presence felt.
These two were fantastic, and it helped that they were quite short.

In the Cosplay Competition, Fili and Kili ‘dwarfised’ a rap by Will Smith (sorry can’t tell you which one, but I wish I’d been allowed to record it) If I recall rightly, they won Best Skit.

And the winner for Best Cosplay in the Advanced Category was…..

…which made me very happy Smile

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

Noria
Gondor

Apr 16 2014, 12:19pm

Post #2 of 8 (1217 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this. [In reply to] Can't Post

All these actors will be able to supplement their incomes by attending cons for years to come. Nice.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 16 2014, 12:59pm

Post #3 of 8 (1212 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing [In reply to] Can't Post

... and the winner! No dispute there I wager! Tongue

Elvenking enthrallment
--------------------------
Thranduil Appreciation thread III
Thranduil Appreciation thread II
Thranduil Appreciation thread

Kerewyn
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 1:35pm

Post #4 of 8 (1194 views)
Shortcut
None whatsoever [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a very popular decision :)

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 16 2014, 6:49pm

Post #5 of 8 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Wow - that winning cosplay is superb. [In reply to] Can't Post

>> Peter Jackson arrived wearing full WWI uniform with heavy backpack and weaponry, to make a point about the burden those young soldiers had to bear, and fight in as well.

Niiiiice. Cool

(And how unsurprising that PJ has a full WWII outfit!)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kim
Valinor

Apr 17 2014, 4:54am

Post #6 of 8 (1119 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the report! [In reply to] Can't Post

That panel sounds like it was a lot of fun. Great cosplay too.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=719226;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Apr 24 2014, 12:26am

Post #7 of 8 (1142 views)
Shortcut
I'm envious! [In reply to] Can't Post

That all looks like great fun. (The tiny cons I've been to in the states can't compare.)

And, apparently, Thranduil rules the world! Yay! Laugh

Thank you!

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

Vepariga
The Shire

Jun 21 2014, 4:07pm

Post #8 of 8 (1128 views)
Shortcut
Awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

I was going to go to MelNova but wasnt able to. I will be attending Brisnova in November this year though.

I actually love how our Con's are not as huge as the US. I mean,they are still fairly big with a buttload of people but the ones in the US are dauntingly huge,a sea of people.

I like how we can get close to guests without too much hassle or wait, and they love it.

I was at Mel-geddon last year and one of the Game Of Thrones guests was just walking around and we talked and took photos even talked about what kind of phones we had lol was great. Also being in the 501st legion I got to chat to Karl Urban behind the scenes for a little bit which was very cool. :)

- Vep - Guardsman of the woodland realm of Mirkwood -

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.