The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
1968 video interview with JRR on You Tube

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 6 2008, 1:59am

Post #1 of 13 (1478 views)
Shortcut
1968 video interview with JRR on You Tube Can't Post

I got the following notice (see below) from The Tolkien Library News today, but I couldn't see a link to the video on the web page which has the transcript (appears to be not working or incorrectly formatted at the present time). So I did a search on You Tube and found this page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUtCtuZIAcE Which appears to be what is referred to in the Tolkien Library News article (if not, someone correct me!)

Tolkien Library Site News
1968 BBC interview with J.R.R. Tolkien on youtube
Posted: 03 Feb 2008 06:00 PM CST In February 1968 J.R.R. Tolkien was interviewed in conjunction with the BBC television documentary Tolkien in Oxford, of which also a part has been included in the J.R.R. Tolkien: An Audio Portrait. As far as I know this interview was only released last year for the Children of Hurin Release on April 7, 2007. Since then a small part of that interview could be found in the BBC News Archives, yet the interview is far from complete. I managed to locate some other parts of the same interview which were released by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on April 19, 2007. It also includes an interesting interview with Adam Tolkien, the grand-son of Tolkien on the Children of Hurin, conducted by Razia Iqbal from the BBC program Newsnight.

"an seileachan"

"And we must all bring Provisions."
"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."
"Oh!" said Pooh happily. "I thought you said Provisions.
I'll go and tell them." And he stumped off.

Sunflower
Valinor

Feb 6 2008, 7:13am

Post #2 of 13 (1136 views)
Shortcut
What strikes me.... [In reply to] Can't Post

about these interviews is that this is NOT the kind of guy that you'd want to invite on Leno or Letterman or Oprah to discuss their hot new work. His has never been a "photogenic" face. Not knocking people like Jo Rowling, who I am a HUGE fan of, and who does fit right in.... just making an observation about the superficial things American TV interviewers look for. No wisecracks, no juicy tidbits about his personal life, no pithy soundbites. By contemporary American standards, he'd be BOOOORRRING.

Come to think of it, Viggo is an intellectual as well, and at first didn't fit in either. He still doesn't. But he has advisers, who have done a good jobLaugh.(Have you seen the Nominees lucheon pics? Viggo has taken Philippa's maroon and blue color schemes heart. Even a bit like the film Bilbo...maroon vest/waistcoat! He looks great!)

It's like a critic once wrote of the parade of Civil War personalities we get to know over the course of Ken Burns's "The Civil War": "So few faces here are attractive. So many are unforgettable." Even his manner of speaking takes some getting used to. I was so tempted to go for the subtitles.... (Thanks for the transcript!) but decided to try to imagine him reading from one of his works or attending a lecture of his. (I've seen just one brief snippet of him a few yrs ago.)
Fascinating looking at what is in essence a 19th-century face.

Nice to see Adam too. Is he Christopher's son? If he is, interesting to see him even mention the films. I hope by now some of the doubters in the family have gained at least a grudging respect for them. They are, after all, raising aware of the works of Tolkien...and bringing in, thus, a pretty penny.

(Wishes there was a "bowing down in worship" gif here, as there is at the Awardsdaily Forums!) I'd put a solid row of them up!

I particularily found the bit about The Hobbit interesting. Reading about the changed reaction his children had to what has been called the "patronizing" of the work is one thing;hearing him verbally confirm it is another. This of course raises the whole raging debate over what kind of "Hobbit" we may and should get. PJ, of coursem would make the version of the Hobbit he felt that Tolkien in his later years wishes he could have re-written (I suppose.) Holding that we already have the "kids' version." We can debate this forever and probably will.

I loved seeing Theodred's funeral on a TV interview. I wonder what regular, non-EE fans thought of that! And Eowyn's Lament would have fit right in...though Rohan seems impossibly "modern" by the primative and savage standards of the First Age....Middle Earth being that much less populated, "undeveloped" (if you can use that term, considering farmland and cities and towns development) and wild, and filled with that much more primeval magic.....thus, a lot more "savage."

Thanks! YOU ROCK!!!!

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Feb 6 2008, 7:19am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2008, 10:03am

Post #3 of 13 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Just looked at it. Great. Fascinating. So moving... [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 6 2008, 11:16am

Post #4 of 13 (1111 views)
Shortcut
help, I can't see the part with Adam Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

When I go to the Tolkien Library site I can't see the links or pics (I have two red Xs of doom). I found the first video by myself by searching You Tube, but can't find the one that is quoted in the second transcript. Do you have a link?

Thanks.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2008, 11:38am

Post #5 of 13 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien never looked so good . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen the second piece of footage on that video before, but the first piece was great. It was a clear video/audio track, and it felt so good to see him talking. Thanks a.s! This made my day! Smile

"Death is just another pathway . . . one which we all must take."

-Gandalf from "The Return of the King"

Beren
Bree

Feb 6 2008, 12:57pm

Post #6 of 13 (1114 views)
Shortcut
Problem fixed now [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, have now fixed the links... somehow something went wrong there. You can now see the movies. Or if the problem still remains, you can find it at youtube under 'Tolkien interview'

'It is fulfilled. Even now a Silmaril is in my hand.' - tolkienlibrary.com

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 6 2008, 5:07pm

Post #7 of 13 (1083 views)
Shortcut
THANKS!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"an seileachan"

"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."

Farawyn
Rohan

Feb 6 2008, 6:14pm

Post #8 of 13 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Wow, and they say New Yorkers talk too fast! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.
Discuss:
Photobucket

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 6 2008, 7:56pm

Post #9 of 13 (1136 views)
Shortcut
is "MIGH-thology" a correct pronunciation? [In reply to] Can't Post

I ask my English-English friends: it seems Tolkien is saying "MIGH-thology", the first syllable with a long I sound instead of a short I sound. Is this a common pronunciation?

I would pronounce it MITH-ology, with a short I sound.

Not, of course, that I wish to go on record as correcting Professor Tolkien's pronunciation. I'm just saying.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 6 2008, 8:04pm

Post #10 of 13 (1081 views)
Shortcut
hmm. I still can't get it to work [In reply to] Can't Post

I still only get red Xs, no picture or link, etc. And I can't find the second interview by searching You Tube (I found the 1968 one referenced in the first transcript). Can you send the You Tube links directly here?

Thanks.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."

Farawyn
Rohan

Feb 6 2008, 8:15pm

Post #11 of 13 (1091 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he was saying MY- thology? [In reply to] Can't Post

As in it belonged to him?

Tongue

Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.
Discuss:
Photobucket

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 7 2008, 12:13am

Post #12 of 13 (1091 views)
Shortcut
never mind, found it (link) [In reply to] Can't Post

In case anyone else is having trouble with the links at the Tolkien Library site, here is the direct You Tube link to the second interview listed there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFcjBzP7H-E

I should just pause here and say how much I enjoy the Tolkien Library site and am always glad to get the updates in my email box! I don't know why the links aren't working for me.

Laugh

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 7 2008, 8:21am

Post #13 of 13 (1336 views)
Shortcut
This was a case for my 1901 Collins dictionary... [In reply to] Can't Post

According to this, Tolkien is using the old fashioned pronunciation (long 'y' sound you refer to) and is therefore quite correct. It makes sense that he would be the person to know this Wink

I LOVE my ancient dictionary - it never fails me.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.