The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Screencap of the Day: The Sun Unveiled

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 10:06am

Post #1 of 13 (5886 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day: The Sun Unveiled Can't Post

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields is over. Sun comes out again.

1. How would you describe “the mood” of this picture?

2. If you had to give this screencap a title, what would you choose? [I borrowed “The Sun Unveiled” from Ted Naismith (http://tednasmith.mymiddleearth.com/...05/the-sun-unveiled/), for example.]

3. Any interesting details that catch your eye?

Fire away! Smile

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Nuradar
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 6:57pm

Post #2 of 13 (5703 views)
Shortcut
Hopeful image [In reply to] Can't Post

Early morning, hopeful, the promise of a new day.

2. If you had to give this screencap a title, what would you choose?

The New Dawn of Men

The bridge/walkway behind the main hall. I wonder if that leads to the tombs...

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 18 2014, 10:44am

Post #3 of 13 (5625 views)
Shortcut
The bridge [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I believe so. Here's another screencap from earlier in the film: http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk1401.htm. And another: http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk1403.htm.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Apr 18 2014, 10:47am)

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 18 2014, 1:30pm

Post #4 of 13 (5632 views)
Shortcut
'Awake! The shadow is gone and all darkness is washed clean!' [In reply to] Can't Post

For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and the darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City.

-The Ride of the Rohirrim

Kinda miss the singing, though I guess they cut it because Urban couldn't hold a tune in a bucket.

“Where’s Eowyn?”

The pools of light are like bare spots left on the ground when snow melts. (True, in this case a dark, toxic, poisonous snow.)

If you look closely there are plenty of little details on the supposedly bare Pelennor such as broken siege machines and mounds of bodies. From far away the battlefield seems almost clean, so it’s easy to give orders from a high white tower. All national leaders should be forced to witness the ruin of war from close up before assuming power. Might make them a little less likely to send up the balloon and sound the horn.

Maybe.

https://www.facebook.com/slatesforsarah

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 18 2014, 2:56pm

Post #5 of 13 (5605 views)
Shortcut
Nice comparison! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The pools of light are like bare spots left on the ground when snow melts. (True, in this case a dark, toxic, poisonous snow.)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 18 2014, 6:54pm

Post #6 of 13 (5592 views)
Shortcut
This always reminds me of an old painting [In reply to] Can't Post

Something from the Romantic sublime maybe, like one of Turner's landscapes: http://www.william-turner.org/

Calm, eerie, hopeful, a cautious breath after the battle

What about Light in Dark Places? Doesn't quite fit, does it?

I was looking for Boromir's description before "Have you ever seen it, Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze." But the White Tower doesn't glimmer in this image because the sun hasn't reached it yet. Does that have no symbolism or is the tower still in shadow for a reason?

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 18 2014, 7:09pm

Post #7 of 13 (5599 views)
Shortcut
The shadow remains [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was looking for Boromir's description before "Have you ever seen it, Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze." But the White Tower doesn't glimmer in this image because the sun hasn't reached it yet. Does that have no symbolism or is the tower still in shadow for a reason?

The battle was won, but the war may still be lost?

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2014, 2:08am

Post #8 of 13 (5583 views)
Shortcut
You're right. That's what it reminds me too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Name
Rohan

Apr 19 2014, 5:36pm

Post #9 of 13 (5566 views)
Shortcut
Interesting...... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

I believe so. Here's another screencap from earlier in the film: http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk1401.htm. And another: http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk1403.htm.

That means that Denethor ran from all the way back there, across the Tower of Ecthelion, and then jumped off the end, all while on fire. What a man...........

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 19 2014, 7:45pm

Post #10 of 13 (5568 views)
Shortcut
I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

That has always bugged me too. Oh, well...

In Reply To
What a man...........

Is it wrong of me to laugh at this? Laugh

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Apr 19 2014, 7:57pm)

Name
Rohan

Apr 20 2014, 1:23am

Post #11 of 13 (5540 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Any man who can do a 400 meter dash and then jump off a building is pretty amazing. But then add on the fact that he's on fire? Denethor was more man than Boromir ever was. Denethor has more swag than Thranduil. Denethor gets more girls than Aragorn. Denethor is the alpha-male of Middle-earth. You're just jealous.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Apr 21 2014, 3:53pm

Post #12 of 13 (5516 views)
Shortcut
Great selection! [In reply to] Can't Post

This image has always been one of my favorites and really struck a chord with me emotionally Tongue.

1. The mood I find to be very reflective and calm, like a hurricane has struck through a city and decimated it and now we are in the eye of the storm or the storm has passed and a moment of calm finally interludes, but great loss has been sustained.

2. Hmm...The Sun Unveiled is a very fitting one. Here's a couple I made up I kind of like; "The Turn of the Tide," "Gondor sees the Sun," and "The Dawn of Men"

3. I love the way this image looks and the lighting is gorgeous, I really like the patches of sunlight and shadow and the way the miniature of Minas Tirith looks lit in the radiance of the sun.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 21 2014, 6:10pm

Post #13 of 13 (5528 views)
Shortcut
Great comparison! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. The mood I find to be very reflective and calm, like a hurricane has struck through a city and decimated it and now we are in the eye of the storm or the storm has passed and a moment of calm finally interludes, but great loss has been sustained.

The storm has passed and the sky is clearing.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.