Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
will we ever get a hint to middle earth religions in the films?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

boldog
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 8:45am

Post #1 of 28 (1119 views)
Shortcut
will we ever get a hint to middle earth religions in the films? Can't Post

One thing we have never heard about in the films so far is the faith of the people.
I would really love to hear some mention of this. Surely all the characers we have met arent atheists. They believe in the gods of valinor. Could there be a temple in laketown or something? I dont know what are your thoughts on this?

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 8:52am

Post #2 of 28 (801 views)
Shortcut
"May the grace of the Valar protect you" [In reply to] Can't Post

There's that quote by Arwen in TTT, which of course doesn't mean jack to anyone who hasn't read the books, but at least it's a hint of something bigger and otherworldy.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 10:39am

Post #3 of 28 (723 views)
Shortcut
Not sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

If the Silmarillion is ever filmed, definitely - particularly in reference to the Elves. If not, I think Gandalf's resurrection and talk about the afterlife with Pippin is probably the closest they'll get.

dik-dik
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 11:19am

Post #4 of 28 (759 views)
Shortcut
The cultures of the West aren't religious in the modern sense. [In reply to] Can't Post

They believe in the One and the Valar, but don't build religious structures (only the Meneltarma in Númenor comes to mind, and even that holy place was mostly inaccessible) or openly worship deities. The best we can get would be a prayer to the Valar by some Mirkwood Elves, but even then, if they wanted to keep them canon it's possible that most of those wouldn't even utter the name of Elbereth (by which Frodo tells High Elves from lesser ones in FotR the book). The people of Lake-town, I just don't know about. They're not a part of the Western pro-Valarin culrure, neither are they Sauron worshippers... no idea what their religious beliefs might be, but I'm positive I don't want to know because that would only be the movie team's guess and I'd prefer guesses kept away from the movies lest they're mistaken for Tolkien's actual canon by the wide audience.
It would be cool, on the other hand, to see some Sauron worshippers in their wicked temples - that cult is mentioned by JRRT.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington
----------
"You can't have everything; where would you put it?"

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Apr 16 2014, 11:24am

Post #5 of 28 (708 views)
Shortcut
As someone who thinks... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the whole concept of religion is largely absurd, I hope not. Crazy Keep the Middle-earth films irreligious -- especially when this is likely all we're going to get on the big screen.

Escapist
Gondor

Apr 16 2014, 11:32am

Post #6 of 28 (707 views)
Shortcut
Interesting proposition! [In reply to] Can't Post

So I guess the obvious thing to do forward from here is to focus more on Sauron and the cool forces of evil and move the focus away from the forces of Good - to avoid guesswork (because the details about Sauron's side are far more rich than those of the West in Tolkien's writing). If it's about Sauron, it's cool. If it's about Sauron's enemies it is guesswork that should be avoided - unless specifically and unambiguously defined.
Huh ...

If all the world's a stage then who's writing the script?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 16 2014, 1:09pm

Post #7 of 28 (680 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien was careful [In reply to] Can't Post

to keep organized religion out of the books, so I can't imagine the movies would introduce religion. I would prefer the film-makers follow in Tolkien's lead since religion is a very sensitive topic and would not enhance the story at all.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 16 2014, 1:50pm

Post #8 of 28 (634 views)
Shortcut
Morgoth Cults [In reply to] Can't Post

The most organized religion(s) in Middle-earth was probably the worship of Morgoth; I don't think anyone here would wish to be part of that congregation.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 16 2014, 1:59pm

Post #9 of 28 (630 views)
Shortcut
LoL [In reply to] Can't Post

Real-world religious groups looking for straw men would so latch on to that.

Elvenking enthrallment
--------------------------
Thranduil Appreciation thread III
Thranduil Appreciation thread II
Thranduil Appreciation thread

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Apr 16 2014, 2:01pm)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 2:47pm

Post #10 of 28 (635 views)
Shortcut
In one of the DOS WETA books [In reply to] Can't Post

they mentioned that they theorized the citizens of Lake-town had two religions - one representing the life-giving aspects of the lake and one for the death-bringing idea of the mountain nearby with Smaug. Some background characters were dressed in blue and red accordingly.

Nothing overt was ever stated about it, though, and that's fine with me. Middle-earth is one of the few fantasy worlds with an understated yet present religious aspect - and one of the even fewer with an actual benevolent deity.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

demnation
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 3:24pm

Post #11 of 28 (608 views)
Shortcut
Its irreligious nature is an important aspect of ME [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien wisely avoided (probably for his own sake) any controversy by largely excluding religion in his work. And anyway, it would seem a bit weird if it were suddenly included in the last film . And I personally find religion one of the most eternally fascinating but also eternally boring topics, so I can say I'm quite glad that it isn't a topic involved with ME.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

dik-dik
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 3:35pm

Post #12 of 28 (591 views)
Shortcut
I don't get your point. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So I guess the obvious thing to do forward from here is to focus more on Sauron and the cool forces of evil and move the focus away from the forces of Good - to avoid guesswork (because the details about Sauron's side are far more rich than those of the West in Tolkien's writing). If it's about Sauron, it's cool. If it's about Sauron's enemies it is guesswork that should be avoided - unless specifically and unambiguously defined.
Huh ...

That is not at all what I wrote. Nowhere have I said I'd like the focus to be shifted to Sauron. I was speaking of the aspect of religion only. That if religion was to be shown, I'd prefer seeing Sauronians who are canon, to seeing the religious practices of e.g. Laketowners which would be guesswork. I am speaking of my personal preference, and noone's forcing it on PJ - or you. If you want to offer a counter-opinion, I'm interested in reading it; but please curb the snideness/irony. I find it uncalled-for.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington
----------
"You can't have everything; where would you put it?"

Cillendor
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 3:40pm

Post #13 of 28 (585 views)
Shortcut
That makes sense. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would think among Men, only the Edain would still hold to a firm belief in Ilúvatar and the Valar. For the rest of Men, they would probably be largely superstitious. If your culture is isolated on a lake and overshadowed by the mountain of a mighty, seemingly-immortal dragon, you'll probably begin to see those two things as some sort of deities. Perhaps in certain cultures the Elves were worshiped (more likely in a fearful way), or even Saruman. I doubt Gandalf would stand for being worshiped, and Radagast is too much of a recluse to have much contact with people.

As there are various other spirits in the world, maybe they too are worshiped. There could be a cult which offers sacrifices to the Huorns of Fangorn, or perhaps that considers the Crebain (crows) of Dunland as some sort of fey spirit of death and decay.

The Dwarves seem to worship Aulë (whom they call Mahal), which makes sense as he was their creator and the founder of their culture.

The remnant of the Noldor, and probably the Sindar, probably still believe in Ilúvatar and may even worship him. The Avari (Elves who refused the summons to Valinor) may exclusively worship Elbereth Gilthoniel.

I would imagine that the most atheists would exist among Men and Orcs, though both groups are also prone to worshiping Morgoth or Sauron. I doubt that Orcs under the control of Morgoth or Sauron would be atheists, but some of the more isolated populations that were merely under tribal rule probably didn't see any deity as worthy of worship.

Lastly, I have no idea what to make of the Hobbits. I would guess that with their simpleton ways, they didn't give much thought to the notion of a divine being. Though among the Valar, Yavanna is closest in nature to them. Perhaps it is no coincidence that Yavanna (the goddess of nature who is alike in heart to the Hobbits) is married to Aulë (the god of stone and metal who created the Dwarves).

To what degree their views would play a role in their everyday life likely would vary greatly, but at least these seem likely as potential deities of the various cultures.

Cillendor
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 3:50pm

Post #14 of 28 (591 views)
Shortcut
I agree, but with one exception. [In reply to] Can't Post

As Arwen spoke of the Valar in The Fellowship of the Ring, I think that there should be some subtle reference to Mahal in the funeral scene of There and Back Again. It need only be in Khuzdul, but as three of Durin's line are being buried, I'm sure this would be a very elaborate funeral full of tradition and ritual. In fact, I'll be extremely disappointed if this isn't mentioned. It is part of their culture that Tolkien wrote on. Ask Middle Earth wrote on this saying that they may even sing some sort of dirge. If this doesn't contain some reference to Mahal bearing their souls away to the Halls of Mandos, then the writers will have totally dropped the ball. Source: The Dwarrow Scholar

Name
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 7:10pm

Post #15 of 28 (538 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no real "religion" in ME, because the Valar are all real, they exists and are fact. So in a way Tolkien's works, esp. The Silmarillion, are there own "Bible", where the gods are as real as the people who they created.

"Thank goodness!" said Bilbo laughing, and handed him the tobacco-jar.

Screen cuts to black - 10 seconds of black screen

Black screen ends. Flash-forward of Balin holding off Moria goblins with a fully automatic machine gun. Balin's screams can be heard over the gunfire.

Screen cuts to black - "Directed By Peter Jackson" appears on screen. END

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 8:12pm

Post #16 of 28 (543 views)
Shortcut
I read that Tolkiens intention [In reply to] Can't Post

in writing the books was to create a written mythology for the British people that did not exist or as he said "somehow was lost over time."
As we have seen most all nations mythologies contain ancient dieties and their worship. I think Tolkien would as a serious Christian put that slant on his stories creation and I am very happy he did. Best stories ever!!!

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 16 2014, 9:40pm

Post #17 of 28 (503 views)
Shortcut
The people seem to know about Eru and the Valar without feeling the need to worship [In reply to] Can't Post

or build temples or make religious organizations. The best word I can think of to describe how the "good" people of middle earth seem to feel toward the Valar is "reverence".

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

Azimuth
The Shire

Apr 16 2014, 10:09pm

Post #18 of 28 (495 views)
Shortcut
Was Aule (Mahal) mentioned in LOTR? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't remember now.
PJ said in the commentary for AUJ EE that they had to be very careful adding things to The Hobbit, because they have rights only for it and LOTR. They couldn't mention anything from Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales etc. which is not in these two.

As Arwen spoke of the Valar in The Fellowship of the Ring, I think that there should be some subtle reference to Mahal in the funeral scene of There and Back Again. It need only be in Khuzdul, but as three of Durin's line are being buried, I'm sure this would be a very elaborate funeral full of tradition and ritual. In fact, I'll be extremely disappointed if this isn't mentioned.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2014, 10:33pm

Post #19 of 28 (486 views)
Shortcut
Sort of [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately, the whole "mythology for England" idea is subject to a lot of misinterpretation as it gets passed around, especially on the Internet, though misconceptions crop up in print too. (And the pedant in me feels the need to point out that Tolkien thought very specifically of England in all of this, not of Britain. Tongue) Anyway, there are certainly a lot of religious elements in Tolkien's work; his beliefs as a Catholic can be seen in various ways in just about all of his writing. But the explicitly mythological material, with actual Gods and Angels walking around, is mostly limited to the First Age (the Istari not withstanding). And, in part since he was writing about a fictional pre-Christian time, Tolkien deliberately made organized religion a very small factor in his world. As a couple of people have pointed out, almost all mentions of organized religion in the books are to the worship of Morgoth. The good peoples, while venerating Eru, do not generally do so as a part of everyday life.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Cillendor
Lorien

Apr 17 2014, 4:06am

Post #20 of 28 (454 views)
Shortcut
That is a good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

But the Bree prologue was from Unfinished Tales, so they have been using some stuff outside those two books.

I think they could get away with naming Mahal if the entire song is in neo-Khuzdul. Since Tolkien barely touched the language himself, David Salo has pretty much invented it all himself. So hiding the name Mahal in the text would hopefully not be problematic. After all, his Sindarin and Quenya texts are based on information published in Parma Eldalamberon, which I believe is an extension of the Tolkien Estate.

But one of my pet peeves about the film is that Sauron never referred to Gandalf as Olórin, which DID appear in The Lord of the Rings. Both being Maiar, it would make perfect sense for Sauron to refer to Gandalf by his true name. But I guess it's no different than Smaug calling Thorin "Oakenshield". Just disappointing.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2014, 7:47am

Post #21 of 28 (431 views)
Shortcut
Not it wasn't , actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But the Bree prologue was from Unfinished Tales, so they have been using some stuff outside those two books.

There is a condensed version of the meeting in Bree in the RotK Appendices. No way would PJ & Co risk using stuff only found in UT. Smile

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Ż Victoria Monfort

Elskidor
Rohan

Apr 17 2014, 2:00pm

Post #22 of 28 (402 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

Could not have said it better myself. Keep it out of the story.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 17 2014, 2:17pm

Post #23 of 28 (407 views)
Shortcut
The Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

If anyone among the Free Peoples have developed a formal religion, it is probably the secretive, mysterious Dwarves. Tolkien revealed very little about Dwarvish culture, but I could very easily see them performing secret rites that are never revealed to outsiders.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

pandoraziki
Rivendell

Apr 17 2014, 5:27pm

Post #24 of 28 (385 views)
Shortcut
A bit OT [In reply to] Can't Post

I would think Sauron was oblivious to the true origin of the Istari at the time of the Hobbit events. He apparently knew of Gandalf's existence, but wouldn't necessarily know he was another Maia. And if Sauron was aware of that, then he probably didn't know it was Olórin. But I am a bit rusty on Tolkien lore, so please feel free to correct me, if I am wrong.

Escapist
Gondor

Apr 18 2014, 11:21am

Post #25 of 28 (357 views)
Shortcut
Let me know where I misunderstood you, then. [In reply to] Can't Post

The people of Lake-town, I just don't know about. They're not a part of the Western pro-Valarin culrure, neither are they Sauron worshippers... no idea what their religious beliefs might be, but I'm positive I don't want to know because that would only be the movie team's guess and I'd prefer guesses kept away from the movies lest they're mistaken for Tolkien's actual canon by the wide audience.”
It would be cool, on the other hand, to see some Sauron worshippers in their wicked temples - that cult is mentioned by JRRT.“
A few points I got from these statements in particular:
  • You don't want to know about the Lake-town religion and they aren't Sauron worshippers.
  • You think it would be cool to see some Sauron worshippers.
  • Sauron worshippers are mentioned by JRRT.
  • The religions of surrounding dwarven and elven communities are detailed by JRRT.

My reactions / responses to these points (that may have been misconstrued - let me know)
  • You think that the Sauron worshipping stuff is interesting and cool.
  • You don't think it would take guesswork to fill the Sauron worhipping out. I wonder if you aren't slightly biased by your interest in this subject.
  • It seems to me that there would be plenty of guesswork involved in adapting Sauron worshipping since it is only mentioned with little detail (as best I remember), just like almost all of the Dol Guldur sequence in DOS was pure invention.
  • It seems to me that there would just be a tad extra guesswork if the Laketowners were assumed to be somewhat pluralistic / nondenominational due to the influences of the definitely religious dwarves and elves that they have extremely close contact with.
  • I can't help but notice the rancorous outcry from simply naming one of the unnamed company of Thranduil (who by the way is only named "Elven King" in TH) as Legolas when he is known to be from there - while wildly free total invention guessing in the dark about what happened at Dol Guldur and who was there (leaving out Thrain actually) is just "cool". I do wonder about that. I should ask rather than, guess ... that would be a better approach. So I will. I'm asking about it. What's up with that?

If all the world's a stage then who's writing the script?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.