Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
If you could break the law without consequence, what would you do?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: If you could break the law without consequence, what would you do?
Speeding/joyriding
get stoned/wasted
have sex in public
steal something
beat someone up
burn something down
kill someone
other crime
I would commit no crime
View Results (48 votes)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 15 2014, 3:21am

Post #1 of 40 (794 views)
Shortcut
If you could break the law without consequence, what would you do? Can't Post

Well it might be a twisted poll, but there's this movie "The Purge," and the sequal "The Purge: Anarchy" which deals with the subject. One night a year, you can commit any crime at all: Robbery, arson, murder, anything goes. The laws will not be enforced, and you won't go to jail. So I was wondering just how many people would REALLY commit crime under these circumstances. I think the worst I'd do is go joyriding in a Mini Cooper - I've always wanted one! And when I say speeding, I don't mean the 5-10 mph most of us do, I mean "Let's see what this baby can do!" I say joyriding because obviously it wouldn't be MY car, since I don't own a Mini-Cooper. But I don't think I'd keep it, it would just be that one ride. So, what would anyone else do? Anything, or nothing? Please remember this is total speculation. No one will judge you here.

Azimuth
The Shire

Apr 15 2014, 8:06am

Post #2 of 40 (613 views)
Shortcut
Zimbardo's prison experiment [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you heard about it? Also known as Stanford prison experiment. If you are really interested in "how many people would commit a crime" you should read about it. It's unbelievable what people can do to other people when they know they will be unpunished. Even psychologists were shocked with the results.

Misto
Lorien

Apr 15 2014, 11:18am

Post #3 of 40 (601 views)
Shortcut
Speeding? *rofl* [In reply to] Can't Post

Well... technically, I'm in the only country where you're allowed to fast as you please (on certain roads). Practically, I'd like to see you try. Maybe on Sunday at 5am in the morning. Within the last 10 years or so the streets have become so terribly crowded. Oh, the joys of living in the middle of Europe: every stupid lorry in the continent will end up blocking your road.

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 15 2014, 2:36pm

Post #4 of 40 (596 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...there's an industry or three I'd like to shut down without giving them the full benefit of due process.

But that would be wrong.

Still, as it is they'll continue making millions while continuing making messes while lawyers from both sides share martinii lunches and billing tips.

Wotta world!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 15 2014, 3:46pm

Post #5 of 40 (578 views)
Shortcut
Fix some injustice that can't now be done legally, and/or [In reply to] Can't Post

climb up the side of a building. (Short-ish building with lots of ledges and handholds.ShockedLaugh)

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 15 2014, 4:52pm

Post #6 of 40 (584 views)
Shortcut
broadcast a cell-phone dead-zone signal in certain locations [In reply to] Can't Post

like movie theaters.

It is against the law, apparently, to kill cell phone usage in any location.

You can ban cell phone usage. You can punish cell phone usage.

But you can't make it impossible for people to ignore the ban.

I want to make it impossible for people to turn on their cell phones at all in a dark theater.

I used to fantasize about a 'ray-gun' that would kill horns in the parking lot across from where I lived. It was a multi-level lot that had one of those spiral exit ramps. It was located in the business district of East Lansing which was right across the street from Michigan State University. After big games, the cars would all want to exit at once... traffic in the ramp would be backed up as they paid at the exit and waited for traffic to clear to get on the street.

And every frickin driver in that ramp would honk their horn repeatedly until they were able to exit. It could easily go on like this for 20 minutes.

Petty nuisance stuff but it's the stuff there is almost no recourse or relief from on the part of those being annoyed.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 15 2014, 5:58pm

Post #7 of 40 (574 views)
Shortcut
Have a day where no one cared about clothes! [In reply to] Can't Post

What are clothes anyway? SmileTongue

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 15 2014, 7:50pm

Post #8 of 40 (558 views)
Shortcut
Amen! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 15 2014, 7:54pm

Post #9 of 40 (576 views)
Shortcut
OK, true confession time: [In reply to] Can't Post

Uncle Baggins and I once did the *ahem* deed on top of Toll Memorial, which is the central rock in this photo. Granted, it was 3AM and the only spectators were a herd of elk, but I still count that as "in public." In the daytime it's a popular tourist site.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Apr 15 2014, 7:56pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 15 2014, 8:44pm

Post #10 of 40 (561 views)
Shortcut
Stanford prison experiment [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I've heard of it. I've also been told (by a Poly Sci professor) that there are 3 kinds of people: those who break the law, those who won't, and those who WILL break the law if they won't suffer any consequence. An example of this was the wide-spread looting that occurred during the L.A. riots in 1993. Normal people who would not normally shoplift were helping themselves to TV sets & all kinds of stuff. I'd like to think I wouldn't do anything more than speeding, but then again, I've always wanted a Mini & can't afford one, so the truth could be more upsetting.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 15 2014, 8:50pm

Post #11 of 40 (554 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the reply [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be curious as to what those industries might be - I kind of thought someone might say something along those lines. I once got into a "debate" with a former co-worker about some industry/practice (can't remember which one), and whether it would be okay to burn the place down if you really wanted to make a statement or felt there was no other way to stop them (she's a vegan). I have some pretty strong political opinions, but I don't think as of now there's anything out there I despise so much as to warrant violence and destruction - not even Westboro, and I really HATE those guys! But maybe I'd shoot some of them with paintballs if I could get away with it, I dunno....Evil

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2014, 1:27am

Post #12 of 40 (537 views)
Shortcut
Other... [In reply to] Can't Post

knock over a bank or something similar...would have to be money from some faceless huge corporation though....wouldn't want to take cash from friends!

Annael
Immortal

Apr 16 2014, 2:24am

Post #13 of 40 (540 views)
Shortcut
I don't think I would . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm my own judge & jury most of the time; if I ever go against my own principles I'm not happy with myself. So "consequences" would still be there.

Although I would happily steal dogs whose owners chain or lock them up the back yard to serve as burglar alarms instead of loving them as pets.

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 16 2014, 3:13am

Post #14 of 40 (527 views)
Shortcut
I chose Speeding/Joyriding [In reply to] Can't Post

but actually I'd be doing it in an airplane. You wouldn't believe how restrictive FAA regulations are when it comes to having fun in airplanes.

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 4:14am

Post #15 of 40 (533 views)
Shortcut
I'd walk into North Korea [In reply to] Can't Post

and spank the 'ell out of that punky little dictator. I would.

Elskidor
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 4:32am

Post #16 of 40 (529 views)
Shortcut
I would kill someone [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 16 2014, 7:12am

Post #17 of 40 (522 views)
Shortcut
Funny ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking the very same thing.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2014, 7:41am

Post #18 of 40 (514 views)
Shortcut
Steal from the rich and give to the poor [In reply to] Can't Post

And when I say rich, I don't mean doctors and the like who earn their money; I mean sleazy investment banker types who profit from a rigged system, wreaking havoc without a second thought. AngelicEvil

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Apr 16 2014, 1:34pm

Post #19 of 40 (511 views)
Shortcut
Oh my, Aunt Dora, [In reply to] Can't Post

Beautiful spot but it doesn't appear very, er, comfortable. Wink It sort of reminds me of another famous location we all know so well. I'd never do it there though. I'd be too afeared Nazgul might show up!

(Though if it were Aragorn I was with ....)

Evil

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Apr 16 2014, 1:43pm

Post #20 of 40 (496 views)
Shortcut
This would be me, too, Annael [In reply to] Can't Post

With my conscience, there's no such thing as no consequences. Not that I wouldn't be tempted by certain victimless crimes, especially if it would benefit those who are unable to help themselves.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 2:01pm

Post #21 of 40 (487 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't be able to commit any crime! [In reply to] Can't Post

My guilty conscience would keep me from doing anything. I'd still know it was wrong, and that would bother me. Plus, I would start thinking about all the other people I might affect negatively by doing things like stealing, etc.

However, I guess if I felt the law itself was wrong I might do something...

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 2:08pm

Post #22 of 40 (506 views)
Shortcut
I'm starting to feel like a really bad person... [In reply to] Can't Post

... seeing how many have voted for "I would commit no crime", whereas I didn't. Hmm... Unimpressed Evil

Elskidor
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 3:58pm

Post #23 of 40 (492 views)
Shortcut
I don't believe the people [In reply to] Can't Post

that say they wouldn't commit a crime. Some of these should not even be crimes, so if the punishment was removed how can anyone avoid all this stuff. Nah, I don't buy it. We have 13 people committing the crime of lying, lol.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 16 2014, 4:51pm

Post #24 of 40 (484 views)
Shortcut
Meh, I've already done the first five at some point in my life. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't kill anyone, but I like silneldor's idea...Angelic

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 5:17pm

Post #25 of 40 (475 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

that kind of thing.Frown

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.