If you could change 3 things
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 12:19am

Post #1 of 51 (1310 views)
Shortcut
If you could change 3 things Can't Post

about the current Hobbit movies, what would that be?
Mine:
1. Goblin Town - this was defiantly the worst part of the two movies IMO
2. Legolas - he should of had a much lesser role in DOS, possibly just a cameo
3. Azog and company - change Azog to Bolg trying to take revenge for his fathers death, instead of Azog himself

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 16 2014, 12:33am

Post #2 of 51 (948 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Shorten the Goblin Town chase. By a lot.

2. De-CGI Orlando's face.

3. Cast Dean O'Gorman as Fili right from the start.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 12:43am

Post #3 of 51 (966 views)
Shortcut
It's a start. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with your #1. The sequence should have been shorter and scarier (less cartoonish).

The next priority would be to scale way back on the Dwarves v. Smaug sequence, which was too long and (again) too cartoonish.

Finally, in general, I'd like to see more Bilbo and less of other distracting subplots.

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Apr 16 2014, 12:52am

Post #4 of 51 (929 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, I'll give it a try [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Just like you I'd just have Bolg be the main orc throughout the trilogy, would've been simpler and cleaner
2. Remove the whole Kili/Tauriel romance, not a fan at all
3. Have Smaug's attack on Laketown as the climax of DOS, replacing the whole chase sequence

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 1:05am

Post #5 of 51 (930 views)
Shortcut
very much a fan of the movies but I'd change these things: [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Bolg be the main orc villain starting in AUJ
2) No Tauriel line about trousers
3) No Bofur line about "if you've got the balls for it"

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Glassary
Rivendell

Apr 16 2014, 1:23am

Post #6 of 51 (901 views)
Shortcut
Agree with Elizabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

Have to agree with all that Elizabeth has stated. (agreeing with #1).

Also don't mind Tauriel, actually like her but I would downplay the romance overtones
in Laketown.

SilentLion
Rivendell

Apr 16 2014, 1:29am

Post #7 of 51 (905 views)
Shortcut
My three [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Shorten/simplify all of the action/chase sequences. Not every chase sequence needs to have a dozen impossible falls - one or two would be more dramatic. Also, anything that is obviously designed to closely resemble a roller coaster, flume ride, or skateboard maneuver should go.

2) No Lake Town Les Miserables. Yes we get that Bard is a better and more caring leader than the Master, but we don't need long political discourses that weren't in Tolkien.

3) Ancient stone stairways and bridges that have stood for hundreds or thousands of years don't happen to break every time someone walks over them.

For what it's worth, I actually liked the Tauriel/Fili romance, and I liked the somewhat negative portrayal of Thranduil. It's nice to see some haughty and selfish Silmarillion elves lurking around Middle Earth.

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 16 2014, 1:36am

Post #8 of 51 (883 views)
Shortcut
I'm one of the few that would keep the Azog story the same. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the Azog subplot is interesting and I think he's a cool character. And I hope we get to see a little more dynamics between he and Bolg in the next film. I think two separate orcs are needed, one to lead the armies and one to chase the company. I think it works and I wouldn't change it. I'm not one that really cares too much that Azog should be dead right now.

But here are 3 things I'd change:

1) The intercutting between Smaug and Laketown. That was sloppy.

2) Cut down the Goblin town and Dwarves vs. Smaug sequences. I don't kind the OTT action, but they could both be just a tad shorter.

3) Radagast would be just a tad less weird.

Our destiny lies above us.

(This post was edited by tsmith675 on Apr 16 2014, 1:39am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 1:53am

Post #9 of 51 (859 views)
Shortcut
Glassery, LOVE Your Avatar (The Two Trees!!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Bomby is a Contraian here..

Loved every second of GoblinTown...
Wish it wazz Longer?

1. First Flash was the Caverns of Orthanc
only we are THERE w/ our
Buddies
Butchering
Baddies!

2. Two sometimes, Three Rickidy
Walkways, So Indiana Jones, TOO!

3. BodyCount! Wass Extrordinary
(Need to pause many times
someday to Finally get a Total)
What
Goblins200? dead
Dwarves 0

4. Pj has 4 Battles in AUJ
All so totally different &
Soooo...PJ

Since we now have examined
AUJ EE many times?
Bomby wouldn't
Change a Thing.

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Apr 16 2014, 2:06am

Post #10 of 51 (860 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, is that really necessary though? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think the Azog subplot is interesting and I think he's a cool character. And I hope we get to see a little more dynamics between he and Bolg in the next film. I think two separate orcs are needed, one to lead the armies and one to chase the company.

By the time any army-leading has to be done, namely the Battle of Five Armies, the dwarf they want is there, so... it would've worked out anyway. Plus, in this hypothetical movie, Bolg could've just sent another Fimbul-type after the company if he was too busy in Dol Guldur or wherever.

I do agree though that the dynamic between them would be interesting to see developed, now that it is what it is and both exist at the same time in the story. Just the fact that they're father and son, I wonder if that'll ever be mentioned in TABA.

Thaddeus
Bree

Apr 16 2014, 2:18am

Post #11 of 51 (846 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah yes, those two really had some feelings. (Sorry, no offense, just couldn't resist.)

...I actually liked the Tauriel/Fili romance...

I like cheese!

Thaddeus
Bree

Apr 16 2014, 2:19am

Post #12 of 51 (848 views)
Shortcut
Agree with 2 and 3// [In reply to] Can't Post

I like cheese!

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 16 2014, 2:34am

Post #13 of 51 (830 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, the way I understood it, Azog didn't know about preparing for war until he goes back to Dol Guldur in DoS. So, when he's called back he is there preparing for war but still wants Thorin dead.

I feel like the personal vendetta really works, but it's kind of negated when Azog sends someone else after them. (Or if Bolg would send some other Orc in the hypothetical movie) I guess that's another thing I'd change. I'd switch Azog and Bolg's places in DoS (as was originally planned).

Our destiny lies above us.

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 16 2014, 2:44am

Post #14 of 51 (847 views)
Shortcut
Minor things for the most part [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Goblin Town, it's freaking awesome. I would shorten the fall in and the fall out but leave everything else.

I would keep Bolg the main bad guy and let Azog die. Other stuff is minor like no bid poop for Radagast, limit some of the belching/snot/close up of drinking type stuff.

Nira
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 4:28am

Post #15 of 51 (823 views)
Shortcut
looks like a lot of consensus [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Goblin Town- all of it
2. dwarves vs. Smaug- all of it
3. Azog drama. While I think the Azog story line will pay off at the end of the next movie, it doesn't have to suck for the first 2.5 movies.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 6:59am

Post #16 of 51 (803 views)
Shortcut
If I could, I wouldn't. Seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course I could pick random niggles. Bilbo 'having a reaction' to horsehair. Ori's 'green food' line. One particular orc who walks with his knees bent and looks as if he's wet himself. The names 'Sebastien' and 'Percy'. The word 'toilet'. These are odd things which caught my attention at first because they didn't seem to fit. But now I view them with affection - they're part of the whole. Part of its character - like accepting a friend's odd little quirks (and hoping they do the same for you! Wink )

If I'd made the films they'd be different. And probably rubbish, because I'm not a filmmaker. They are what they are, and I accept and enjoy them that way.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 16 2014, 7:09am

Post #17 of 51 (800 views)
Shortcut
My suggestions: [In reply to] Can't Post

1. AUJ should have been released in 2008.
2. Make the films longer
3. Include the Talking Purse

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 8:19am

Post #18 of 51 (751 views)
Shortcut
Hm [In reply to] Can't Post

In no particular order
- Recast Beorn
- Less CGI airbrush look
- More Thranduil focus, less on Leggy and Tautau

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2014, 8:38am

Post #19 of 51 (752 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree with Elizabeth... [In reply to] Can't Post

though I'd also add "make it darker" to the list of things about Goblin Town, and I like to see more Thranduil along with more Bilbo - and less of L & T and the Orcs, particularly in Lake-Town.

In Reply To
I agree with your #1. The sequence should have been shorter and scarier (less cartoonish).

The next priority would be to scale way back on the Dwarves v. Smaug sequence, which was too long and (again) too cartoonish.

Finally, in general, I'd like to see more Bilbo and less of other distracting subplots.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 16 2014, 9:28am

Post #20 of 51 (749 views)
Shortcut
Mine [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Legolas would have a cameo role only (or no role at all).

2. Substantially reduce or delete role of Turiel (didn't mind Ms Lily's performance, but the subplot is completely unnecessary and detracts from canon plot).

3. Reduce comic-book action scenes substantially.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 16 2014, 9:55am

Post #21 of 51 (739 views)
Shortcut
Mine: [In reply to] Can't Post

1)Warg chase with Radagast
2)Remove some goofy parts of Goblin Town
3)Remove some goofy parts of Trollshaws

I would not change anything in DOS(except for the sloppy direction of the Healing Scene) as i believe it is the perfect adventure/fantasy movie, albeit a bit rushed.Smile

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Apr 16 2014, 9:57am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 9:58am

Post #22 of 51 (728 views)
Shortcut
Well said, dormouse! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But now I view them with affection - they're part of the whole. Part of its character - like accepting a friend's odd little quirks (and hoping they do the same for you! Wink )

For me, that's true love - loving someone/thing despite their/its flaws. Smile

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Apr 16 2014, 11:32am

Post #23 of 51 (715 views)
Shortcut
Mine.. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Remove Azog completely, make Bolg an antagonist (he can chase Thorin all the time, I don't mind)
2. Remove Tauriel. I'm ok with her now, but I'd rather be happy without such protagonists - even if they serve as the symbol of opposing the king and showing why it is so important to get involved in common war.
3. Replace Beorn's chase with the dwarves entering the gate in couples and saying Hello. It is quite a funny scene in the book, which could serve as a positive break after eagles' scene.

Noria
Gondor

Apr 16 2014, 12:17pm

Post #24 of 51 (672 views)
Shortcut
Dormouse and BlackFox, I feel the same [In reply to] Can't Post

I too have niggles, small things that make me roll my eyes, but they are part of the whole and I love the whole.

Fundamentally, I wouldn't change anything about either movie.

I also have niggles, large and small, about the LotR movies but love them nonetheless.

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 16 2014, 12:42pm

Post #25 of 51 (724 views)
Shortcut
The Three Most Needed Changes: [In reply to] Can't Post

1. AUJ: Make it longer.
2. DOS: Make it longer.
3. TABA (I predict.): Make it longer.

https://www.facebook.com/slatesforsarah

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.