Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What are we realistically likely to get in the DOS EE?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Apr 15 2014, 12:03pm

Post #1 of 35 (1442 views)
Shortcut
What are we realistically likely to get in the DOS EE? Can't Post

Here I'm gonna do a list of things I would like to see and then do one of what will probably be the reality. :)

WISHLIST:
1. The company getting down from the Carrock, possibly with an explanation of how the Eagles work.
2. The confusingly edited "chase scene", where the Dwarves run from the Orcs and/or Beorn through a variation of environments, to be expanded and made more clear.
3. Much more of Beorn. I want to see the two by two introduction to the Dwarves and more of his house. More dialogue, giant chess etc.
4. An extended travel montage from Beorn's house to Mirkwood. Maybe also quick glimpses of the giant bear fending of Orcs in the distance.
5. Much much more Mirkwood. More travelling, more sleeping. The poison lake and Bombur. The White Stag. More of the spiders being menacing.
6. More of the Woodland Realm. All the Dwarves talking to Thranduil. More of Bilbo exploring and planning. The actual Feast of Starlight.
7. More of the High Fells. I don't know what exactly, but I just want more ;)
8. Laketown party with the Dwarves!
9. Expanded Lonely Mountain travel montage.
10. I want the company to go down and actually explore the ruins of Dale. Perhaps Bilbo uses the ring to sneak down there and explore. Thorin or Balin find him down there and do a more in depth flashback of old Dale and the coming of Smaug.
11. More Dol Goldur and Thrain.
12. More Bilbo and Smaug dialogue. More riddles.
13. Orc Laketown fight expanded to include actual citizens of Laketown.

Here's what I think we will actually get:
1. More Beorn.
2. More Mirkwood, White Stag and lake.
3. Laketown party.
4. Dale.
5. Thrain in Dol Guldor.

What do you guys think we will actually get?

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 15 2014, 12:32pm

Post #2 of 35 (875 views)
Shortcut
Well, here is what I would like to see, based on your thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. The confusingly edited "chase scene", where the Dwarves run from the Orcs and/or Beorn through a variation of environments, to be expanded and made more clear.
2. Much more of Beorn. I want to see the two by two introduction to the Dwarves and more of his house. More dialogue, giant chess etc.
3. An extended travel montage from Beorn's house to Mirkwood. Maybe also quick glimpses of the giant bear fending of Orcs in the distance.
4. Much much more Mirkwood. More travelling, more sleeping. The poison lake and Bombur. The White Stag.
5. More of the Woodland Realm. All the Dwarves talking to Thranduil. More of Bilbo exploring and planning.
6. More of the High Fells. I don't know what exactly, but I just want more ;)
7. Expanded Lonely Mountain travel montage.
8. I want the company to go down and actually explore the ruins of Dale. Perhaps Bilbo uses the ring to sneak down there and explore. Thorin or Balin find him down there and do a more in depth flashback of old Dale and the coming of Smaug.
9. More Dol Goldur.
10. More Bilbo and Smaug dialogue. More riddles.

In Reply To

I'd like to see more development of Thranduil, and to see him have a larger part in the film than those of Legolas and Turiel.

I'd like to see more of Thorin in non-action scenes – RA is so brilliant in the role and wonderful to watch.

What I definitely don't want to experience is drunken parties with food being chucked about (had enough of those in AUJ), ninja elf fights with orcs, expansions of the 'romantic' scenes or corny dialogue, e.g. something down someone's trousers, etc.

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 15 2014, 12:41pm

Post #3 of 35 (835 views)
Shortcut
In addition to these [In reply to] Can't Post

We're almost certain to see a flashback - presumably at the beginning of the film, either before the Bree sequence or added to the Gandalf and Thorin conversation - showing what happened to Thrain after the battle of Azanulbizar, and how Gandalf acquired the map and key (seemingly when he met Thrain in Moria).

If we see more of Dale, I hope also to see a sequence involving the company near the Gates of Erebor, to get a better idea of their difficulty in finding the hidden door.

Thranderz
Rohan

Apr 15 2014, 1:45pm

Post #4 of 35 (811 views)
Shortcut
I have a feeling [In reply to] Can't Post

that this EE could very well be a long one! I am looking forward to it!! Cool

I simply walked into Mordor.

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Apr 15 2014, 1:59pm

Post #5 of 35 (807 views)
Shortcut
You will likely get much of what you want [In reply to] Can't Post

There were several promotional photos released by the studios prior to the release of the second film. There were a few more pictures of Beorn that we never saw, an image of Thorin with his bow and arrow in Mirkwood, and images of the dwarves gathered in front of Thranduil (not to mention besides the close up of his features, we never see him in the entire outfit he wears on his throne), so I think all that will be in the EE. There is also an image of the dwarves carrying Bombur on a cot through the forest. The fact that Bombur is standing and in good health when they are captured tells me they may have cut the scene completely but it was filmed so it may make its way into the EE.

As for the other things you are looking for, I do not think you will see the company descend from the Carrock, it will take way too much screen time. A battle at Lake-town may yet happen in the third movie so hold off on that. They would not have access to explore the city of Dale at this point, especially with the company being split so that won't happen. The scene at the High Fells may have been necessary to Jackson's story but it was certainly extended as it is so that should be it for the Gandalf/Radagast scenes. I believe (like Shagrat) that TABA will open with a flashback scene in Dol Guldur showing us Gandalf and possibly what happened to Thorin's father. In the concept art design book for the second film there is a page revealing Thrain and a costume for the imprisoned dwarf in the fortress. So I believe it will either be a flashback scene at the beginning of TABA or a possible extended scene in DOS but more likely the former than the latter.

Bottom line- If you judge the EE based on images released to the public, there will be a lot of material in the DOS EE. Or we will be highly disappointed because they actually cut it all from the movie. We shall see come November!

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

Annatar598
Rohan

Apr 15 2014, 2:17pm

Post #6 of 35 (769 views)
Shortcut
We'll probably know how long it will be this summer [In reply to] Can't Post

So not too long!

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 15 2014, 2:20pm

Post #7 of 35 (761 views)
Shortcut
I hope you don't mean… [In reply to] Can't Post

…that the EE should not be too long. :) At least 45 minutes will do me.

In Reply To
So not too long!

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 15 2014, 3:00pm

Post #8 of 35 (727 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Summer is near and all things will be unveiled.I do not expect more than 25-35 minutes.40+ would be welcome of course but i can't see DOS be over TTT EE and nowhere near the ROTK EE.

Noria
Gondor

Apr 15 2014, 3:45pm

Post #9 of 35 (754 views)
Shortcut
My prediction [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Here's what I think we will actually get:
1. More Beorn.
2. More Mirkwood, White Stag and lake.
3. Laketown party.
4. Dale.
5. Thrain in Dol Guldor.

What do you guys think we will actually get?

This is about what I expect to see, with more Thranduil as well. If all of that is included I'll be content, though if there's more I will be even happier.

Annatar598
Rohan

Apr 15 2014, 4:22pm

Post #10 of 35 (659 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant it as we don't have long till we find out how long the EE will be.

I would want it to be at least 45 mins long. Anything below 25 mins would kill me tbh. I'm still recovering from the fact that DOS was under three hours. Traumatic.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Dcole4
Rohan

Apr 15 2014, 4:25pm

Post #11 of 35 (684 views)
Shortcut
Good stuff... [In reply to] Can't Post

Scenes that we know were shot and most likely will be included...

-Thrain becoming lost in Moria (flashback during conversation in Bree, there's a clear jump cut in the scene where a flashback should have been)

-Beorn being introduced to dwarves 2 by 2, the morning after the company sleeps there

-Beorn and Gandalf talk, most likely about the Necromancer

-Bombur falls in the enchanted river/carrying him

-The White Stag

-All of the dwarves taken before Thranduil (likely has something to do with the Stag sequence which is why it didn't make it into the TE)

-Snippets of High Fells (we saw more to this sequence in the live event, hopefully these moments are restored)

-"Never venture East" aboard Bard's barge

-Laketown Party/giving of the clothes/armor

-Exploring the ruins of Dale. We know was shot and meant for DOS, detailed in the art book

-Gandalf meets Thrain in Dol Guldur (not sure how long this sequence is, but it'll require drastic changes to the TE version)

-Bilbo & The Cup.

All in all, I think we'll be getting a proper extended edition. It all this stuff (that we know was shot) makes it in, we're probably looking at 20-25 minutes of footage.

(This post was edited by Dcole4 on Apr 15 2014, 4:25pm)

Dipling
Lorien

Apr 15 2014, 4:43pm

Post #12 of 35 (646 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS EE could be on par with LOTR EEs!

Dcole4
Rohan

Apr 15 2014, 4:50pm

Post #13 of 35 (664 views)
Shortcut
Or it could be a huge disappointment... [In reply to] Can't Post

It could be a huge disappointment if those scenes aren't restored. Especially b/c we know for certain that they were shot.

I was disappointed in AUJ EE only having 13 minutes. There were a couple things they didn't add back in (more of the Goblin Tunnels, Bilbo looking out his door at the Shire before running after the company, Gandalf showing young Bilbo a dragon puppet). the bright side is that AUJ felt like it had a lot of material in it that would normally be reserved for the EE, whereas DOS felt streamlined.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 15 2014, 5:13pm

Post #14 of 35 (635 views)
Shortcut
Nice list! [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe everything is really really possible except for 1)Beorn being introduced to Dwarves 2 by 2(I also hope it won't make it) and 2)Ruins of Dale as i suspect they may leave it for the third movie since there is a lack of new locations to be discovered.(i truly hope though that it will be in the DOS EE).

Dcole4
Rohan

Apr 15 2014, 5:17pm

Post #15 of 35 (648 views)
Shortcut
Crazy! [In reply to] Can't Post

The two by two scene is a classic! Why wouldn't you want to see it? Martin mentioned in an interview that it took place the morning after they stash away in Beorn's house.

Re: Dale, I think they cut it for the reason that Dale is the only new place in TABA. However, since the DOS EE is so close to the release of TABA, I feel like they'll throw it back onto the DVD. PJ said that he saved certain things and references in AUJ for the EE since it's stuff that would pay off in DOS (black arrow, the strain of madness in Thorin's family, the dwarf rings, etc). I think the same could be said about Dale. No reason not to include it in the EE, which is really the version for fans.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Apr 15 2014, 5:17pm

Post #16 of 35 (628 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo looking out his door [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm kind of glad they left that out. Although it sounds like a nice little moment, it would feel a little unnecessary like they said on the commentary. The cut from him standing in his house to him running down the road is already so perfect.

I'm also glad they didn't include the scene with Thorin talking with Bilbo in Rivendell. It sounds like a great scene but a little out of character for Thorin at that point in the story. It would have been nice if they'd reshot it and put it somewhere else in one of the other movies though.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 15 2014, 5:57pm

Post #17 of 35 (632 views)
Shortcut
I was never a fan of that scene in [In reply to] Can't Post

the book plus i saw a similar introduction in AUJ at Bilbo's house.No other particular reason.For example,i would prefer an extended "Feast of Starlight"instead than this scene with Beorn.Everything else with Beorn of course should be in the EE.

Dcole4
Rohan

Apr 15 2014, 6:06pm

Post #18 of 35 (605 views)
Shortcut
I think what makes the scene work... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that they're putting their lives in the hands of this man-bear who could rip them apart at any moment. Adding more stress to the already fragile relationship is the fact that Gandalf and Bilbo are presenting a whole boatload of Dwarves. It illustrates how they really don't have any "friends" on this leg of the journey.

Thranderz
Rohan

Apr 15 2014, 7:18pm

Post #19 of 35 (559 views)
Shortcut
How about [In reply to] Can't Post

both? Although I can't help but feel that the feast of starlight scene may not get an extension. I really want to see the elves having a party though! Frown

I simply walked into Mordor.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Apr 15 2014, 11:22pm

Post #20 of 35 (483 views)
Shortcut
Was the Feast of starlight even shot? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dcole4
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 12:06am

Post #21 of 35 (475 views)
Shortcut
Nothing has been officially said about the Feast of Starlight. [In reply to] Can't Post

My hunch is that we won't see it. I remember reading a quote from Boyens saying that they thought it was "too fairy like" which doesn't bode well. :(

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Apr 16 2014, 12:16am

Post #22 of 35 (460 views)
Shortcut
That's disappointing [In reply to] Can't Post

"Fairy like" is exactly what The Hobbit is and should be. Frown

Elskidor
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 4:35am

Post #23 of 35 (443 views)
Shortcut
They need a long film to make up [In reply to] Can't Post

for the rushed feel of things. The movie feels unfinished to me.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 16 2014, 7:29am

Post #24 of 35 (418 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure Phillipa Boyens has said "The Feast of Starlight" was filmed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I can't find the source right now.

Wasn't her comment about being "too fairy like" the Elves feast in the Forest and the Dwarves interrupting them?

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Apr 16 2014, 7:30am)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 16 2014, 7:38am

Post #25 of 35 (415 views)
Shortcut
Yes.I remember Boyens [In reply to] Can't Post

had referred to the Elves feast in the Forest as well.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.