The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
ring world and smaug

book Gandalf
Rohan

Apr 14 2014, 7:26pm

Post #1 of 6 (476 views)
Shortcut
ring world and smaug Can't Post

this question got lost in another thread, but i still find it intriguing!

whenever bilbo wears the ring, the ringworld (ive checked) clearly goes almost black and white, very muted,in both auj and dos, yet when bilbo puts the ring on in the dos sequence with smaug, the colours become more saturated and intense, smaug is more red, and the gold is golder, theres a huge noticeable difference.

why is this? is it significant, why not the same? is it simply inconsistencies, as the smaug scene was very dull to begin with!

its bugging me, and it should you too!! ;)

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 14 2014, 7:53pm

Post #2 of 6 (293 views)
Shortcut
Maybe it has something to do with the gold, I don't know. [In reply to] Can't Post

They may say something about it in the EE commentary for DoS.

Our destiny lies above us.

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 14 2014, 8:45pm

Post #3 of 6 (268 views)
Shortcut
Mhm [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not know what this would have anything to do with a scene "being dull to begin with".

Anyway, I felt it was a good choice since it was easy to make out everything you needed to see or get teased with. And the effect was clearly the Ring-effect imho, influenced by all the gold around Bilbo. As I felt the effect in Goblin Town was influenced by the blueish/greyish surrounding of the cavern. Also while being quite b/wish the red of the sunset when Bilbo comes out of Goblintown also has a certain reddish to it. When I look at Bilbo's jacket red/golden seems to be the colour the least influenced by the effect.

What I found more confusing is the first cut after we see Bilbo putting on the ring. One might think for a second that this is how Smaug sees the world. But it becomes clear right afterwards.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

(This post was edited by Arannir on Apr 14 2014, 8:56pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 14 2014, 9:15pm

Post #4 of 6 (255 views)
Shortcut
It's maaaaagic! [In reply to] Can't Post

In The Prancing Pony Sauron's magical Eye was very much magical red.

The Kings in White on Amon Súl were very white indeed.

Arwen's gown was blinding magical white when Frodo first saw her in the Trollshaws. (The others just saw her mundane green riding clothes.)

So I imagine the magical fire of a magical dragon would glow a distinct magical red.

As for gold, there's something magical about it as it seems to attract dragons almost against their will. Indeed, in Anglo-Saxon mythology the dragon Fafnir was orignally a human (or humanoid) who was magically transformed by a gold hoard into a dragon!

As well it might, as gold was sung into existance by the Gods:

'When the moon was new and the sun young
of silver and gold the gods sung:
in the green grass they silver spilled,
and the white waters they with gold filled."

-JRR Tolkien, The Hoard

So yeah, it makes total sense in Tolkien's mythology.

Doesn't bug me at all.

Brother will fight brother and both be his slayer,
brother and sister will violate all bonds of kinship;
hard it will be in the world, there will be much failure of honor,
an age of axes, an age of swords, where shields are shattered,
an age of winds, an age of wolves, where the world comes crashing down;
no man will spare another.

-From the Völuspá, 13th Century

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Apr 14 2014, 9:15pm)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 15 2014, 3:38am

Post #5 of 6 (178 views)
Shortcut
he's a magical creature and he's very powerful maybe? [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe black and white is for "non magical creatures"

photo 1bf768b4-0b33-420d-9c59-41ea3cf03def_zps1d44c4cf.jpg

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 3:04pm

Post #6 of 6 (117 views)
Shortcut
Because the film makers chose it to be that way... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

I believe it is because the Ring is waking up, so it is not as powerful as it is in FOTR. I think the film makers decided this so that it explains how the Ring will gradually progress to be in FOTR where Frodo puts it on and he is drawn immediately to the Eye.

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.