Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Unpacking: The Hobbit DOS - 3D Steelbook Edition (Germany)

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 14 2014, 8:34am

Post #1 of 8 (635 views)
Shortcut
Unpacking: The Hobbit DOS - 3D Steelbook Edition (Germany) Can't Post

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
3D-Steelbook Edition (MediaMarkt Exclusive)

I thought I'd share here my pictures of the unpacking of this nice edition. As there is no steelbook edition in the USA, this might be of interest for some. This 3D steelbook edition has a magnetic lenticular cover and contains 4 BluRays (2x3D, 1x2D, 1xBonus Materials).

The cover contains the German title. A paper sheet with technical infos is also supplied; it also contains the German age rating logo (FSK). The tech info sheet is glued on by 4 glue spots: two on the back (which go off quite easily) and two on the front (which stick to the lenticular picture like hell and can easily scratch it). You can remove them using lighter fuel, though.

The back side (in German). It's overloaded with details on the Digital copy and other stuff. English is DTS-HDMA 7.1, German as well. The release is region free.

When taking of the info sheet, that's what's left: the steelbook with a lenticular magnetic cover. Very beautiful 3D effect for Thorin.

The back side: a purist's nightmare (having both Legolas and Tauriel there). The billing is below (in English)

Upon removal of the lenticular magnet we get a different motif: Gandalf in Dol Guldur. Nice metallic effect on Glamdring. Logo is German again.

The innards. Germany is actually the only country which got disc labels printed in color (other countries only got white letters on black background). That's because the law requests the FSK logo to be in the right color at all times. The 3D version (both discs) reuses Thorin's portrait.

The second couple of discs (2D version and Special Features) contains the theatrical poster motif.

The steelbook is printed from the inside. We get Bilbo in Mirkwood, with Sting in one hand.

Now for the final test: comparing both 3D steelbooks from German MediaMarkt. The "Hobbit" logo is more golden on Film Two. Also, it's on the bottom rather than on the top.

When comparing the sides, it looks less optimal: the logos are of different colors. The subtitle has different font sizes, as well as the "3D" signs. The logos are center-aligned instead of being aligned by "The Hobbit" logo. Also, they added one more logo on the bottom for some reason.

Final thoughts: the German steelbooks looks as good as it gets (though it is rather pricey). However, it is far superior to the Amaray edition (also because in Germany Warner has omitted the lenticular slipcase for the Amaray edition of Film Two - as opposed to Film One a year ago).

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 14 2014, 12:48pm

Post #2 of 8 (404 views)
Shortcut
Very nice – thank you for posting this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially like your 'a purist's nightmare'. Wink

I wish the UK DVD also had the mugshot of Thorin on the disks themselves, rather than having black disks with lettering only.Unimpressed

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 14 2014, 1:17pm

Post #3 of 8 (393 views)
Shortcut
Cool, looks awesome!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Our destiny lies above us.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 14 2014, 1:52pm

Post #4 of 8 (389 views)
Shortcut
Great pack. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 14 2014, 2:07pm

Post #5 of 8 (386 views)
Shortcut
Very cool and thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love this: "The back side: a purist's nightmare" LOL

Elvenking enthrallment
--------------------------
Thranduil Appreciation thread III
Thranduil Appreciation thread II
Thranduil Appreciation thread

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 14 2014, 5:58pm

Post #6 of 8 (369 views)
Shortcut
IMO our U.S. disks are a bummer [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, people will say what difference does it make, but it just adds to the pleasure of the experience. Tho I can't complain about the quality of the BR image at least on my TV.

On the other hand, my $$$ bookends showed up w. one dwarf face plate chipped off - OK these are not high end collectibles but that always *bleeps* me off, when something damaged is deliberately packed. Arranging an exchange - yep, the bookends are a limited edition minus one now. It's not like the set was cheap.

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 14 2014, 6:00pm

Post #7 of 8 (365 views)
Shortcut
That's gorgeous [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for sharing - so jealous Frown The. U.S. can be so cheap *sigh* or at least when it comes to graphic production.

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 15 2014, 5:18pm

Post #8 of 8 (324 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting all these pictures and providing the details, I enjoyed reading it. I have only the U.S. version I picked up at the supermarket, it's nice but quite plain compared to this.

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Apr 15 2014, 5:19pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.