Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Phwoar,nice curves :0

noWizardme
Grey Havens

Apr 14, 9:08am

Views: 160
Shortcut
Phwoar,nice curves :0 [In reply to] Can't Post

It must indeed be pretty difficult to keep track of your sub-creation as author. I expect that there's a problem of mis-remembering now rejected bits and alternate plot lines and getting muddled. It's why authors traditionally need a good editor, to point out that if the character enters an 'upstairs room' he can't exit via the French Windows.

Another problem must be not being able to see the wood for the trees and the trees for the wood.

Your graph reminded me of an anecdote about P G Woodhouse. As he wrote pages of his stories, he would fix them to the walls of his room in a line. The better he thought a given page was, the higher up the wall he would fix it, thus giving him a sort of graph of the current quality of his writing, and enabling him to re-locate pages with which he wasn't yet satisfied. His aim was to get it all 'up to the dado rail' before submitting.

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Subject User Time
TORn AMATEUR SYMPOSIUM Day One - "Interlacing the War of the Ring" by noWizardMe TORn Amateur Symposium Send a private message to TORn Amateur Symposium Apr 13, 8:37am
    A good analysis NoWiz elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Apr 13, 8:07pm
        My thoughts exactly! BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Apr 13, 8:29pm
            The films have a Different interlace, and wisely so noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 13, 9:42pm
                Inspired writing, NoWiz! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 14, 12:39am
                    Gandalf's return CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 14, 1:11am
                    But who does up the laces? Philosophical and Theological concerns noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 14, 8:39am
    Fantastic stuff, noWizardMe! demnation Send a private message to demnation Apr 13, 9:39pm
    Great essay, Wiz! CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 14, 1:02am
        Yes, this is what I was thinking as well. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 14, 6:55am
        One could have fun 'doing a Mondrian' noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 14, 8:59am
        knots in the laces? noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 14, 9:44am
            The appearance of sophistication CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 14, 11:56am
                Tolkien, like Mondrian, is much harder to do than it looks :) // noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 14, 12:45pm
                Book 4 before Book 3? noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 14, 1:25pm
                    History of Middle-earth Khim Send a private message to Khim Apr 14, 9:50pm
    Seriously well done! Mikah Send a private message to Mikah Apr 14, 3:54am
    A nice bell-shaped curve ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 14, 7:42am
        Phwoar,nice curves :0 noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 14, 9:08am
        Hey, great idea! Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Apr 23, 4:16am
    Tighter Laces Khim Send a private message to Khim Apr 14, 12:42pm
        Welcome to the Reading Room Khim! noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 14, 1:03pm
            We will have the pleasure of reading Khim's TAS piece on the 21st Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 15, 3:49pm
                Does Mim become Khim because of getting a new SIM? // noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 15, 4:49pm
                    No... The way I heard it, Mim became Khim.....on a WHIM!!! Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Apr 15, 5:18pm
                        But wait: was the whim that made Mim begin agin as Khim a whim of Mim, or a whim of Khim? noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 15, 9:03pm
                            No- just take it on the chin!// elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Apr 15, 9:10pm
                            Whether Khim is now Mim, or Mim now Khim,(and that by whim of either Khim or Mim), is one question that must be asked of him! Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Apr 15, 9:10pm
                                I think it's just a flagrant attempt to get another kilt! // noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 15, 9:14pm
                            Simsaladim bamba saladu saladim Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Apr 15, 9:14pm
                        Well, I've long suspected that Brethil is just the short form of Rembrethil.// CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 16, 12:46am
                            Well, I cannot comment on the stature of our well-beloved, yet Subversive Minx... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Apr 16, 2:13am
                                Yes Rem, I'm the Dwarf version of our -brethil family Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 16, 4:40am
                            RR nicks in poetry Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 16, 4:38am
    Interesting Essay ajgetway Send a private message to ajgetway Apr 21, 3:55pm
        Thanks- glad you liked it. // noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 21, 3:57pm
    Eeek!! cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Apr 22, 7:52pm
    Ok! cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Apr 23, 2:53am
    Apologia pro Liber IIII squire Send a private message to squire Apr 23, 3:32am
        One does not simply 'plod into Mordor!' :) noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 23, 9:09am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.