The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Creating your own world

Gunslinger24
The Shire

Apr 13 2014, 10:09pm

Post #1 of 11 (171 views)
Shortcut
Creating your own world Can't Post

Just wondering if anyone has ever created your own fantasy type world or attempted to. Its something I've wanted to do for a few years for fun and my own personal enjoyment. Since I love other worlds from books and movies I wanted to try to create my own and I finally started a few days ago little by little. Found this website and have been using it as guidance http://www.wikihow.com/...ur-Own-Fantasy-World

I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain.

Escapist
Gondor

Apr 13 2014, 10:19pm

Post #2 of 11 (100 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

More than once - most often on a very local scale.

Trying to piece them all together somehow has been a trick!
Thanks for the link :-)

If all the world's a stage then who's writing the script?

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2014, 10:23pm

Post #3 of 11 (118 views)
Shortcut
Does this include the world... [In reply to] Can't Post

where I'm married to Keira Knightley? Tongue

Otherwise, no, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. Imagination is one of my strong suits (though my family may not see it that way Wink), so such things will probably come out one day in a script, or even maybe a novel.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 13 2014, 10:30pm

Post #4 of 11 (106 views)
Shortcut
She is lovely from a girl perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
where I'm married to Keira Knightley?

Haha

Gunslinger24
The Shire

Apr 14 2014, 12:58am

Post #5 of 11 (87 views)
Shortcut
Your welcome Escapist [In reply to] Can't Post

Its very helpful.

Gunslinger24
The Shire

Apr 14 2014, 1:00am

Post #6 of 11 (86 views)
Shortcut
Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd replace Keira with Scarlet Johansson (red hair)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 14 2014, 3:35pm

Post #7 of 11 (73 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume parallel realities count. An old friend and I made-up our own superheroes living in our own version of the real world (including an undersea civilization surviving from sunken Atlantis).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Apr 14 2014, 4:37pm

Post #8 of 11 (69 views)
Shortcut
YES. [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading LOTR at the age of 12 will do that to you. And I like to write anyway. So now I have written several stories about my own not-so-little fictional universe, complete with drawings, fictional languages, technology, alphabets, number systems, mythology, etc.

I'm thorough in my madness. Cool

Good luck with your own project! Wink

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Escapist
Gondor

Apr 14 2014, 4:52pm

Post #9 of 11 (66 views)
Shortcut
That's exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Making it thorough makes it thoroughly interesting!

I never considered different numerical systems ...

If all the world's a stage then who's writing the script?

Annael
Immortal

Apr 15 2014, 12:05am

Post #10 of 11 (53 views)
Shortcut
I think about it [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to do a scifi novel set in a future where our understanding of what makes people tick has taken a quantum leap forward; the ideas of the depth psychologists have been validated and the current medical model of pathologizing-and-medicating emotional issues is regarded in much the same way we regard the former practice of using mercury to treat infections.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Apr 15 2014, 4:38pm

Post #11 of 11 (43 views)
Shortcut
Yes, alot but a little... [In reply to] Can't Post

I flirt with it incessantly but in an inconstant manner. My inspiration comes in fits and starts for me, and things take quite unexpected turns.

Ex: I started a tragic Middle-Age drama written in alliterative verse, and it spawned a comedic chivalric children's story done in prose. One of the few projects I'm actually close to finishing, actually...

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.