The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DVD/Blu-Ray Complaint

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Apr 13 2014, 8:47pm

Post #1 of 12 (746 views)
Shortcut
DVD/Blu-Ray Complaint Can't Post

Well not so much of a complaint as I just think it's dumb. On the packaging for the DVD/Blu-Ray edition (which I just got today) there is a picture of Thorin with his bow drawn in Mirkwood, which isn't in the film (and which I'm pretty sure is from the scene with the white stag that was filmed?). Also, the scenes that run through on the main menu have a lot of old shots from the trailers that were not part of the movie. I just don't understand why these things would be included if they're not really in the movie.

Is this just a lack of attention by the people who put it together? What do you guys think?

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 13 2014, 8:57pm

Post #2 of 12 (411 views)
Shortcut
I thought the same thing about the main menu. [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of the shots weren't taken from the movie but from the trailer, it seems. The colors are all wrong in the Bluray menu. The colors are more akin to the trailers' coloring rather than the actual film. I'm not sure why they did that.

I mean, it's not really that big of a deal, but I can see why that would bother people. I'm much more interested in the EE main menu, as I always think they're great.

Our destiny lies above us.

(This post was edited by tsmith675 on Apr 13 2014, 8:58pm)

deskp
Lorien

Apr 13 2014, 9:06pm

Post #3 of 12 (374 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

I dislike when menus spoils the movie so this sounds preferrable to me..

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 13 2014, 9:07pm

Post #4 of 12 (380 views)
Shortcut
Not at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is this just a lack of attention by the people who put it together? What do you guys think?

It's the film-making process - one minute a scene is in, the next it isn't. Films are in flux until they are finished, and so any shots, pictures, images, and scenes are going to be used in the promotion of the movie, regardless of whether they will make it or not. Trailers are made *months* (AUJ a full year) before the film is finished (in PJ's case, hours before the premiere).

It's not just The Hobbit. Look at The Return of the King trailer, for instance.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Apr 13 2014, 9:09pm)

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

Apr 13 2014, 9:29pm

Post #5 of 12 (362 views)
Shortcut
An idea for the EE menu [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering AUJ's was a tour through Bag End, DOS's could be a tour through Erebor, starting with the hidden door.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2014, 9:58pm

Post #6 of 12 (328 views)
Shortcut
I love the AUJ´S EE menu [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes I wach it all over again , it´s a cool idea. But a walktrough Erebor, that could take hours! but it would be a thing to see

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

book Gandalf
Rohan

Apr 13 2014, 10:04pm

Post #7 of 12 (321 views)
Shortcut
also [In reply to] Can't Post

the adverts for the dvd/blu ray also use the old trailer shots

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 13 2014, 10:20pm

Post #8 of 12 (343 views)
Shortcut
Try looking at it a different way.... [In reply to] Can't Post

They're giving you a glimpse of scenes that had to be cut from the final movie. Not because there was anything wrong with those scenes - just for reasons of timing. What's dumb about that? Don't you want to see those things? I know I do - so I'd call it a bonus.

(BTW - a 'DVD/Blu-Ray complaint' sounds like something a person might need medication for! Wink )

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 14 2014, 7:46am

Post #9 of 12 (206 views)
Shortcut
Now that's normal... [In reply to] Can't Post

...after all, we won't see the real menu until the SEE is out.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 14 2014, 2:07pm

Post #10 of 12 (161 views)
Shortcut
Too true tho the WB PR could be done better [In reply to] Can't Post

The posters etc. I think have had problems - some of them. BUT. I don't know if it is my TV or what, but to my disbelief the BR picture on my TV is even better than the impressive IMAX screen I saw DOS on. I'm seeing all kinds of color nuances I hadn't noticed before, and the images are so clear it's almost like being able to touch things (and I can't watch in 3D, this is just the BR).

I'm no techie but I am so impressed w. the BR image quality.

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 14 2014, 6:06pm

Post #11 of 12 (146 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Basically they used the deleted scenes feature found in every dvd as the menu.

Clever!

Brother will fight brother and both be his slayer,
brother and sister will violate all bonds of kinship;
hard it will be in the world, there will be much failure of honor,
an age of axes, an age of swords, where shields are shattered,
an age of winds, an age of wolves, where the world comes crashing down;
no man will spare another.

-From the Völuspá, 13th Century

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Apr 15 2014, 2:47pm

Post #12 of 12 (90 views)
Shortcut
I said the same thing [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm still trying to find the image of Fili and Thorin behind a rock from the first movie I was sure to be in there somewhere. That picture of Thorin was released long before the first movie even came out so I think we will see it...eventually. But yes, there is bound to be a lot of EE material in November. Can't wait!

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.