The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Downfall of Thorin a bit underplayed in DoS

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2014, 6:30pm

Post #1 of 12 (690 views)
Shortcut
Downfall of Thorin a bit underplayed in DoS Can't Post

In the films Thorin starts to lose his nerve very clearly and in a prograssive way, but I feel that when the battle betwen the dwarves and Smaug Thorin is acting like the Thorin he was at the end of AUJ IMHO, I think PJ decided to go with the confrontation between Smauf and the dwarves when the split into 3 happened and I can see clearly how the script goes in a way and then we have this piece of action(wich is not that bad) but the Thorin evolution to evil seems obscured a bit to me

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 13 2014, 6:37pm

Post #2 of 12 (410 views)
Shortcut
I don't know, I didn't think so. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it was enough without being too much. I could definitely see the sickness when he asks Bilbo about the Arkenstone, but then he sort of snaps out of it. I think that really works. I have no doubts it'll work extremely well when we can watch the entire trilogy back to back.

Our destiny lies above us.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2014, 7:00pm

Post #3 of 12 (390 views)
Shortcut
there was enough to see where his mental state is headed [In reply to] Can't Post

we have a whole other film to see yet. The question is what would have Thorin done to Bilbo if smaug had not attacked?

photo 1bf768b4-0b33-420d-9c59-41ea3cf03def_zps1d44c4cf.jpg

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Apr 13 2014, 7:07pm

Post #4 of 12 (388 views)
Shortcut
In my eyes, he had to put that aside to protect everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

We could see his dragon-sickness when he talks to Bilbo, which is right before Smaug shows up and the dwarves have to escape him. It would be really catty of him to keep acting mad at the risk of being killed by Smaug. He knows his priority is to try and kill/evade Smaug and save his companions. I think we'll see him descending right back into his madness at the beginning of TABA.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 13 2014, 8:15pm

Post #5 of 12 (367 views)
Shortcut
He STILL does care for Bilbo in 2 pieces of dialogue [In reply to] Can't Post

1. He Commands Bilbo to pull the Lever
upon...
HIS Call!

2. "Keep heading for
The Hall of Kings..."

He actually is trying to save Bilbo,
there.

Prediction:

Totally SNAPS when he finds out
where the Arkenstone izzz.
& How it got there...

Bilbozz Ultimate
Betrayal

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2014, 8:32pm

Post #6 of 12 (339 views)
Shortcut
Most likely Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

But dont you feel that it will somehow justify Thorinīs angryness against Bilbo for some? Not leaving all the weight to the dragon sickness?

Well the way it happens in the book could also leave this questions opened

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 14 2014, 12:56am

Post #7 of 12 (269 views)
Shortcut
ITzz...PJ's CALL in "StageHandSpeak" [In reply to] Can't Post

cooooolest thingie...(shhh..)
Don't tell anybody?

we
R
the Luckiest
Fans in the World..

Bom
Crazy

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 14 2014, 1:58pm

Post #8 of 12 (210 views)
Shortcut
partially agree [In reply to] Can't Post

in that 1) either book or movie I don't see Thorin as evil (especially the movie) and 2) it is IMO a tragedy that from a DWARF perspective, for the most part, I imagine what Bilbo does is a terrible, terrible thing no matter what his reasons may be, because this is an insular, secretive, fiercely loyal race with strong ties to their heritage. Not to mention the betrayal of a king of the dwarf race, the betrayal of a friend, the betrayal of someone who trusts you. Re the book I was especially irritated as the motive of protecting Thorin didn't factor in.

And Thorin does care for Bilbo, even as the sickness takes hold (and as a Thorin fan, oh man, for me this is going to suck.) I hurt for them both and the movie is months away.

But, speaking of TABA, noticed in watching the collector edition features the BRIEFEST glimpses of Thranduil fighting and another shot with Thorin coming through a doorway of Erebor and Bilbo w. standing w. his back to a wall (I'm wondering if Bilbo will be invisible in this sequence, maybe, if they use it). Thranduil looks totally badass fighting in Dale (looks like) and Thorin looked furious, but every inch a king - looks like they put a gold belt buckle on him (shades of his grandfather's breast plate?) plus a fur-collared mantle. If Thorin is supposedly crazy by then, it's beautiful crazy - not that there is more than the tiniest glimpse.

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 14 2014, 4:16pm

Post #9 of 12 (176 views)
Shortcut
How did you see those shoots [In reply to] Can't Post

We needs it my preciousss

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 14 2014, 5:47pm

Post #10 of 12 (171 views)
Shortcut
Think it's the pickup vids off the collector edition BR [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if there is a different 5-disk BR set but mine came with the collector edition BR. There are pickup vids 1 and 2 on the special features disk - the one w. the trailers. These are VERY quick snippets, you have to watch carefully because inevitably what they are taping is a view through at a camera monitor. The Thranduil one is right before you see Lee Pace in a tent looking at playback going "that's awesome" watching himself (and it is, from what I saw he is badassedly using 2 blades, and looks totally dangerous).

The Thorin one I think is around where you see Dwalin in costume talking, and you really have to watch hard for that one, as I recall it's taping a camera monitor. But Thorin and Bilbo are definitely in Erebor, Thorin is coming through a doorway and looks like he is wearing the French DOS poster mantle (brown fur on his shoulders). It looks like he is saying something angrily as he stalks through and Bilbo looks after him. Of course as a Thorin fan 1) I look for stuff like that and 2) am incredibly relieved because if he is crazy, my favorite character is maddened but not seeing butterflies that aren't there, if you know what I mean. It's a maddenlingly (no pun intended) short look.

Sorry I don't remember which of the 2 pickup vids these were - I'd have to watch again. I'm not even positive that it's the pickup vids but was watching the pickup vids and trailers last night before re-watching DOS, just idly going through the disk and it was pretty late. If I were hooked up to the TV w. a computer I'd do a few screen caps. If I have time I will watch again tonight to be sure these are the right vids. But hope this helps for now. (LOL, I'll bet these TINY peeks just slipped through as am sure they are keeping a tight lid on TABA stuff. But fans watch EVERYTHING).

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 14 2014, 5:53pm

Post #11 of 12 (153 views)
Shortcut
WOW good job [In reply to] Can't Post

Donīt bother too much in watching all over again, hehehe unless you wish to. But thanks a lot this is greatSmile

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 14 2014, 8:07pm

Post #12 of 12 (152 views)
Shortcut
LOL hungry fans see all [In reply to] Can't Post

I will probably watch again, just for those shots and few others - hope that helped Sly

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.