The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
rank JRRT's middle earth books...

book Gandalf
Rohan

Apr 12 2014, 3:38pm

Post #1 of 17 (696 views)
Shortcut
rank JRRT's middle earth books... Can't Post

this is a topic that comes up alot in the movie sections, but hows about the books!

middle earth books only

books to include are

fotr
ttt
rotk
hobbit
silmarillion
children of hurin
unfinished tales
history of middle earth

i include the last two tentatively but feel free to not include any or choose a particular HOME book in the series if it stands out for you.

ok for me

1. fotr
2.ttt
3.rotk
4.silmarillion
5.unfinished tales
6.hobbit
7..home
8.children of hurin

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

(This post was edited by book Gandalf on Apr 12 2014, 3:41pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 12 2014, 3:52pm

Post #2 of 17 (555 views)
Shortcut
That's almost how I'd rank them. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd give The Hobbit and UT a tie for my own interest level. And FOTR and ROTK are almost a tie.

1.fotr
2.rotk
3.ttt
4.silmarillion
hobbit
5.unfinished tales
7.home
8.children of hurin

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 12 2014, 5:05pm

Post #3 of 17 (542 views)
Shortcut
Rate anyway you prefer but .. [In reply to] Can't Post

How can we separate FOTR, TT, & ROTK?

If Tolkien's world doesn't go down as the most supreme epic fantasy classic of the 20th century....
something stinketh in Denmark. Methinks! Smile

>>>>THIS SPACE FOR HIRE<<<<
Contact Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole #14, Bywater Pool Road

malickfan
Gondor

Apr 12 2014, 5:06pm

Post #4 of 17 (569 views)
Shortcut
'Best to Worst', or how much we personally enjoy them? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I have a different order for each.

The Former:

FOTR
ROTK
The Silmarillion
COH
HOTH (admittedly this is mostly down to Rateliffe's fascinating commentary)
TT
UFT
The Hobbit
TAOTB
HOME*
Bilbo's Last Song

*I can't really put the HOME in a specific place, although I own the lot, I'm only really familar enough with BOLT 1/2 and Peoples to grade them, but the whole series is a fascinating but mixed bag for me and really too large to divide up or comment on in terms of 'best'.

(Haven't read The Road Goes Ever on-still out of print, The Art of The Hobbit, Artist and Illustrator or any of Vinyar Tengwar or Parma Eldalamberon)

In terms of Enjoyment:

The Hobbit
HOTH
FOTR
Sil
COH
BOLT 1/2
ROTK
Peoples
UFT
TT
Morgoth's Ring
TAOTB
Bilbo's last song
Return of The Shadow
Rest of HOME

(The LOTR readers guide and The Annotated Hobbit would also be high on the list but I don't think they entirely count as Tolkien books)

And Tolkien's other work order:

Farmer Giles
Roverandom
The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun (why hasn't this been reprinted?)
Letters of JRR Tolkien *Expanded edition please!*
Father Christmas Letters
Smith of Wooton Major
Tree and Leaf (L by Niggle, On fairy stories, Mythopoeia, Homecoming of B)
The Fall of Arthur

(Haven't read Sir Gawain, Pearl and Orfeo, Finn and Hengest, Legend of S and G or Monsters and Critics)

demnation
Rohan

Apr 13 2014, 12:10am

Post #5 of 17 (517 views)
Shortcut
That's interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

So it seems you are saying that The Hobbit is objectively one of the worst but subjectively your favorite. Not many would admit to either of those, so good for you!

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

demnation
Rohan

Apr 13 2014, 12:13am

Post #6 of 17 (515 views)
Shortcut
I'll rank just the ones I've read and keep LOTR together [In reply to] Can't Post

since I can't bear to tear it apart. So, from favorite to least favorite

The Lord of the Rings
The Children of Hurin
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales
The Hobbit

It's interesting that FOTR tends to be the most popular of the LOTR volumes but also the one people tend to complain about most!

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

(This post was edited by demnation on Apr 13 2014, 12:21am)

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 13 2014, 2:01am

Post #7 of 17 (498 views)
Shortcut
My favorite is that one about Middle-earth. // [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Apr 13 2014, 2:14am

Post #8 of 17 (515 views)
Shortcut
LOTR is one [In reply to] Can't Post

This was in the Pollantir recently, if I'm not mistaking. To me LOTR is one book and my chart would look like Silmarillion, LOTR, Children of Hurin, Unfinished Tales (I haven't read it all), Hobbit would be last at this point. When I was a child and even in my early teens, The Hobbit would have been right before or right after LOTR, depending on the moment.

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Cillendor
Lorien

Apr 13 2014, 7:02pm

Post #9 of 17 (483 views)
Shortcut
Of the books I've read… [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The Silmarillion
2. The Children of Húrin
3. The Lord of the Rings (I can't separate them)
4. Unfinished Tales
5. The Hobbit
6. The Book of Lost Tales I

I have HoME 1-5, but I can't get through #1. The stories are so different that they don't seem like Middle-earth at all. They just can't hold my interest. I do like #3, but I've only read a few bits and pieces of it. The rest remain untouched on my bookshelf. I'll get to them at some point, but other things occupy my priorities at the moment.

emre43
Rohan

Apr 14 2014, 7:15am

Post #10 of 17 (461 views)
Shortcut
Ok, of those that I have read [In reply to] Can't Post

1. LOTR
2. Children of Hurin
3. Unfinished Tales
4. Silmarillion
5. Hobbit

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 14 2014, 2:20pm

Post #11 of 17 (471 views)
Shortcut
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil [In reply to] Can't Post

No room for Old Tom?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Malveth
Rivendell

Apr 22 2014, 2:37am

Post #12 of 17 (410 views)
Shortcut
Here Ya go [In reply to] Can't Post

All of the unorganized Silmarillion material published in the History of Middle Earth series
The Silmarillion
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
Unfinished Tales
The Children of Hurin
The History of the Lord of the Rings
The History of the Hobbit

Off the top of my head.

(This post was edited by Malveth on Apr 22 2014, 2:38am)

Malveth
Rivendell

Apr 22 2014, 2:39am

Post #13 of 17 (407 views)
Shortcut
Tom [In reply to] Can't Post

It's only two poems. Not all the pieces in the book are really related to LotR's, Tolkien only framed them that way at behest of the publisher.

rangerfromthenorth
Rivendell

Apr 23 2014, 4:00pm

Post #14 of 17 (391 views)
Shortcut
I'll play your game... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. RoTK- It is hard to put it down once you start
2. FoTR- the first 100 pages are little slow at points but that is more than made up for later.
3. TTT
4. Silmarillion
5. Hobbit
6. Letters of Tolkien
7. Unfinished Tales
I havent read the others yet.

Not all those who wander are lost

(This post was edited by rangerfromthenorth on Apr 23 2014, 4:01pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 23 2014, 8:37pm

Post #15 of 17 (388 views)
Shortcut
Certainly more than two. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's only two poems. Not all the pieces in the book are really related to LotR's, Tolkien only framed them that way at behest of the publisher.

Besides the first two poems, where Tom Bombadil is specifically the subject, "Errantry" is attributed to Bilbo Baggins. "The Man in the Moon Stayed Up Too Late" is a tavern-song that appears in The Lord of the Rings. "The Man in the Moon Came Down Too Soon" can be thematically linked with the former poem; and the Bay of Bel could be the Bay of Belfalas. "Perry-the-Winkle references Weathertop, the Shire and (Michel) Delving. "The Mewlips" is presented as a traditional Shire-poem, although the locations mentioned within it are probably meant to be fictitious. Samwise quotes from the poem "Oliphaunt." "Fastitocalon" is a mythical sea-creature of Middle-earth. "The Hoard" is not explicitely connected to Middle-earth, but possession of the titular treasure passes from Elf-king to dwarf to dragon to human king. And, of course, "The Last Ship" is a poem about the last ship of the Elves to depart from Middle-earth.

So, the majority of the poems in the book can be connected to Middle-earth one way or another.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Malveth
Rivendell

Apr 23 2014, 9:18pm

Post #16 of 17 (380 views)
Shortcut
You Didn't Read My Post... [In reply to] Can't Post

Only 2 poems about Tom.

>>"Not all the pieces in the book are really related to LotR's, Tolkien only framed them that way at behest of the publisher."<<

They were mostly old poems lying around that he cut n pasted into the Legendarium :)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 23 2014, 9:21pm

Post #17 of 17 (393 views)
Shortcut
Yes I did read your post [In reply to] Can't Post

It is ambiguous how much you were referring to Tom and how much to Middle-earth in general. Either way, the book is at least loosely connected to Tolkien's legendarium.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.