Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part II
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2014, 3:48pm

Post #201 of 215 (547 views)
Shortcut
     Yep. Here's what we said to each other: [In reply to]  

Yeah, he may have been just a *little* sore.Tongue But the whole still puts a big 'ol goofy smile on my face every time I read it!Laugh

Me:

Dear Leggy,
It's not you, it's me. Actually, it's your father. It's not that I don't like you anymore, it's just that Thranduil is so much more fabulous and sassy than you. If I could vote for both of you I would, but a decision had to be made and I hope you understand. Just take comfort in knowing that you will always be my favorite LOTR elf in both the books and the movies.
Love, Eruvandi <3 ;)
Legolas:
Dear woman (whose name I don't remember anyway),
It' is not you but many poets (Elf poets and those of the Adain) who told us about how volatile the faithfulness of some of your species can be. Especially when it comes to royals. Especially when one thinks that one can get the king's favor. Let me assure you that my father, the king will and always is voting for me. Because I'm the most fabulous Elf ever existed in Middle Earth for him and for many other subjects of our Royal Family. I hope you won't be too miserable knowing that I don't really have a better fan than my own Ada. Remember that when you will tell him that you've chosen to refuse to vote for the his most fabulous son. I'm sure you've never seen a Teleri Elf in wraith. I can assure you I would've stayed to watch you enjoying this experience but I am a busy Elf prince who has his duty and loyalty to his people. Namarie.
Sincerely,
Your favorite Elf in books and movies,
Too Fabulous For You,
Prince Legolas Thranduillion
(no xo for you!)

Me:

Dear Leggy,
I see sass runs in the family! Lol.
Sincerely,
Woman who's name you can't remember
P.S. If a Teleri Elf in wraith is what your father looked like when the side of his face melted off, then he might want to get a doctor to look at that. :p

Legolas:

Dear disloyal woman whose name I can but still don't remember!
Neither me, nor my father can be held responsible for those who are falling for the fairy tale made by Thorin, a Dwarf, who got scared of the certain Teleri Elf so much that it made him see things that never happened. (Ask Bilbo, a hobbit, if you wish). My father's face never melted anywhere, worry not. It's perfectly fine and handsome (almost like mine).
I'm glad to see that even the disloyal ones recognize my perfect sense of balance.
Sincerely,
Way To Fabulous For you,
Prince Legolas Thranduillion.

"So I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine"
--Hillsong United

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2014, 4:26pm

Post #202 of 215 (515 views)
Shortcut
     Lol [In reply to]  

I was wondering what you meant by "review".Tongue Seriously though, while I agree that PJ probably wouldn't alter Thranduil's reveal that much, I really do like the concept! Of course, now I'm wondering how it will be communicated that the deer is a "projection" of Thranduil without actually showing Thranduil. In the book the white deer was simply symbolic of the fact that the dwarves were officially entering the magical realm of the elves.

When oceans rise
--Hillsong United

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2014, 4:31pm

Post #203 of 215 (500 views)
Shortcut
     Hmm. I feel like I've seen that somewhere before [In reply to]  

but not with that dialog. I think it was in a full video somewhere, but I really can't remember where it was. Maybe it will come to me later...

When oceans rise
--Hillsong United

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 11 2014, 2:55am

Post #204 of 215 (491 views)
Shortcut
     But we didss, precious [In reply to]  

He reigned in and sent off Tauriel in Elvish during the orc interrogation. 5 maybe 6 words (including her name)?

Check out this vid, at 3.00 for the sound to that bit. Definitely Elvish Heart Before that, at 2.31, he's also giving orders in Elvish as he sheathes that gorgeous sword post orc-decapitation, definitely not what we got in the movie. And interspaced here and there you hear the sforementioned 5/6 words too

... this one tiny little clip in the B-roll footage here at 4:18. Of course there's no sound...

As for where in the story B-roll footage 4.18 might be, I don't think it's before Legolas leave to go after Tauriel. For one, I don't think Thranduil would have changed his costume at this point, and also those guards all lined up there looks more like a border inspection, or a troop inspection in preparation for the post-Smaug foray to the mountain.

Elvenking enthrallment
--------------------------
Thranduil Appreciation thread II
Thranduil Appreciation thread

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 11 2014, 2:58am

Post #205 of 215 (479 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah, a search filter would be a life-saver [In reply to]  

... I am scarred for life though. I just do quick skims now and not very much outside real phots/stills anymore :P

Elvenking enthrallment

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 11 2014, 3:23am

Post #206 of 215 (492 views)
Shortcut
     LOL - that is hilarious and uber cool [In reply to]  

Such Haughty SASS. Of course Adar is too high, mighty and involved with affairs of state to notice the dear prince's little dalliance in this plane, but if he happened to look in on the noisy proceedings and noticed what his boy was doing, I would imagine a repartee he pens would go something like this, :

Dear woman,
You are doubtless pleased to receive this acknowledgement of your
pledge of allegiance to myself. You may waver yet. That is fine, for my son is a rival most worthy. Be forewarned: come December, you will no longer have the heart to think of any other Elf.

Frankly, I do not care about your name either.
Yet I cannot but acknowledge my son's less than proper conduct toward you. Rest assured he will be made to see the folly of his ways. While I am my son's greatest fan, I am also King, and I expect all my subjects, especially this child of my loins, to conduct himself with impeccable comportment at all times. As recompense to you for his lack of sporting spirit, Legolas will have to shape your name with arrows 10,000 times when he takes his centennial bowsmanship recertification. To demonstrate good faith and impartiality, he will have to pass the rating for his pensmanship by arrow as part of his recertification requirement.

So have I decreed, and so it will be.

Your FAVOURITE Elf in all Middle-earth,
Thranduil Oropherion
Elvenking of the Woodland Realm
Eryn Lasgalen, also known as Wood of Greenleaves, formerly Mirkwood, formerly Greenwood the Great

Elvenking enthrallment

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Apr 11 2014, 3:28am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 11 2014, 3:31am

Post #207 of 215 (479 views)
Shortcut
     =P .. typos *GAH* [In reply to]  

Yeah, PJ doesn't change any existing TE scenes, going by the EEs so far. One more reason to ask is it November yet?

Elvenking enthrallment

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 11 2014, 3:33am

Post #208 of 215 (474 views)
Shortcut
     Piqued [In reply to]  

Do tell if it comes back to you.

Elvenking enthrallment

RandomSilvanElf
The Shire

Apr 11 2014, 10:36am

Post #209 of 215 (464 views)
Shortcut
     AUJ DVD Extras maybe? and Hello, fellow Thranduilings ^_^ [In reply to]  

At the very end, there is a very quick sneak-peek about second movie. I think it was it, but I'm not sure.

Also I would like to great everyone, I was stalking this thread for a while now, but only now registered, so I can post.

As for my weakness for Thranduil, he was always one of my favorite Tolkien characters, I liked that he was so different from other elves,especially in The Hobbit book, much more mischievous, a tad more egocentric, but still wise, powerful and with a kind heart. I was really looking forward to see his enchanted realm in the movies, also hoped for more dwarf to elf political conflicts. I must say I was slightly dissapointed how little there was of Mirkwood Elvesshown, it was really sad that we didn't see the parties, and elves being playful and silly( I mean all we see are soldiers, there's much more to elves than that). but the Elven King.. did not disappoint , oh no... he was perfection ^_^ My absolute favorite scene was of course the one with the orc, because there he was most true to character I think. Lee Pace was able to show so much of the character in that one dialog, it was amazing. I really hoped to see more of him in confrontations like this, instead of controlling his hundreds of years' old son's love life( that scene didn't make sense at all). I really hope to see much more of him in TABA,scenes together with Bilbo are a must, I really want to see the 2 of them interacting, they better not take from his epicness in the book, and give it to some other characters (especially the 2 that wasn't even supposed to be there) .
so yeah... I'm obsessed now. Nice to know I not alone :)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 11 2014, 1:50pm

Post #210 of 215 (446 views)
Shortcut
     *Waves* Hello, RandomSilvenElf! [In reply to]  

Cool to know another newbie. This is your mouthy precedessor by a week here taking the liberty to hail a fellow newbie Smile

Nice run-down of your history with Thranduil. I found myself drawn to the character while doing research and fleshing him out for my gap-filler fic about the hunt for Gollum between the Hobbit and LotR. It was a shock to the core to see him come to life onscreen simply because I had come to the conclusion that it would be impossible to cast an actor who could both look and act the part. But Lee Pace and PJ blew me away.

Anyway... welcome and enjoy! I'm already settling in without invite Wink

Elvenking enthrallment

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2014, 2:19pm

Post #211 of 215 (430 views)
Shortcut
     Oh yeah... [In reply to]  

I can't believe I forgot that part! *facepalm* Oh well.

For some reason the link is telling me "the requested URL was not found on this server", so I'll just take your word for it on that one.Wink

That's a good point about Thranduil's costume in the B-roll footage. I had wondered about that myself, but I thought maybe the intimidating red/black outfit was specifically for interrogations and that he might change out of it afterwards into his normal clothes. Y'know...cuz he's fabulous like that and has an outfit for every occasion.Cool Still, the border inspection theory sound like a good option too.

When oceans rise
--Hillsong United

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2014, 2:32pm

Post #212 of 215 (444 views)
Shortcut
     ROFL! I love it! // [In reply to]  

When oceans rise
--Hillsong United

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2014, 3:08pm

Post #213 of 215 (429 views)
Shortcut
     Welcome to the land of Obsession! [In reply to]  

Population...Well, I sort of lost track after the first Thranduil appreciation thread.Cool Yeah, you're definitely not alone in your obsession with the Fabulous One! After TABA is over we'll probably have start a Thranduilings Anonymous club (TA for short) and introduce each post with "Hello, my name is ____ and I'm obsessed with Thranduil" Tongue The object of course, being to continue our obsession, not end it.Wink

Anyway, I first became interested in Thranduil when I read TH last year. Back then I couldn't decide whether or not I liked him but there was something about how complex he seemed that intrigued me greatly. Then there was that DOS teaser trailer and he had me at "Where does your journey end?"HeartLaugh

I totally agree on Thranduil/Bilbo scenes being a must in TABA! I think seeing the dynamic between the two will be awesome and I feel like that moment when Bilbo was invisible and Thranduil heard him sneaking out of the room was setting things up for when they first meet in TABA.

When oceans rise
--Hillsong United

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Apr 12 2014, 1:25am

Post #214 of 215 (432 views)
Shortcut
     After my first rewatch of DoS [In reply to]  

"He reigned in and sent off Tauriel in Elvish during the orc interrogation."

Yes, he did. And yet otherwise, during the interrogation scene, no Elvish. So, do Orcs not understand Elvish and Thranduil didn't want it to know what he was saying to her (exactly)? Or, was Thranduil just getting a bit emotional, causing a switch to Elvish? Or do the filmmakers just have the characters switch to Elvish occationally to remind us it's what they're actually speaking all the time? (As odd as that possibility sounds.)

I want to say it's the 'emotional' choice. Because Thranduil does not use Elvish at all when he speaks to Tauriel about Legolas's attraction, and I get the feeling that it was a very calculated confrontation - for him. Then it would make sense for him to spew lot of Elvish in the missing scene of his confrontation with Legolas, who probably tells dad he's off after Tauriel (obviously the last thing Thranduil would want to hear).

And then we get the difference of opinion scene between Legolas and Tauriel, in which they switch from Whatever English Is A Stand In For to Elvish and back again. Some feeling is being exchanged, I think.

Of course, there's still that short scene between Legolas and the door guard, all in Elvish. So, unless that Elf is a very good friend or a relative, my 'emotional' theory falls flat. :/

(Darn, I can't see that vid either. :p )

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 12 2014, 1:30am

Post #215 of 215 (455 views)
Shortcut
     Still having fun back here, I see. [In reply to]  

However, you're over 200 posts on this one now, and we can't be depriving everyone else of the fun of appreciating the Elvenking by hiding all the discussion more than 20 pages back, now can we? People might be getting left out if they didn't watch the thread.

Time to start Part III, methinks. See you on Page 1!

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Apr 12 2014, 1:32am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.