Chapter of the Week: Out of the Frying-Pan

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 11 2014, 9:46am

Post #1 of 16 (619 views)
Shortcut
Chapter of the Week: Out of the Frying-Pan Can't Post

AUJ Chapter of the Week: Out of the Frying-Pan

Hello again! This week we’ll be focusing on AUJ Chapter 26: Out of the Frying-Pan, a set of scenes which has Gandalf and the dwarves fight their way out of Goblin-town in a rather spectacular manner. So, without further ado…

1. What is your overall opinion of this chapter? On a scale from 1 to 10, how many points would you give it?

2. Any details that stand out for you? Something that always catches your eye/you only noticed now?

3. What’s your favourite part of this chapter?

4. What about your least favourite?

5. This set of scenes bears quite a few similarities with the "Bridge of Khazad-dûm" sequence from FOTR. Care to comment? How do you feel about this?

6. "The boulder scene" has been compared to the famous opening scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark. What do you think we’re dealing here with: a homage, a rip-off or a coincidence?

7. Did the Goblin King’s sudden reappearance come as a surprise to you? What do you make of his "entrance"?

8. GK: "What are you going to do now, wizard?" - Gandalf hits him in the eye with his staff, then cuts straight through his large belly with his sword. - GK falls to his knees. "That’ll do it." -- What’s the verdict: funny or lame?

This is followed by the infamous fall.

9. What do you make of (a) the concept and (b) the execution of this scene? Would you have done something differently?

10. Bofur: "That could have been worse." - GK’s heavy corpse lands on the wreckage. -- What’s the verdict: funny or not?

11. Let’s jump ahead for a moment. Gandalf says that only daylight can save them. The sun, however, sets not long after Gandalf and the dwarves have made their way out. Then where are the goblins? (Could Azog’s arrival have spooked them off?)

12. Any thoughts on the cinematography, editing, visual effects, sound etc.?

13. What about the score?

14. Any additional comments or observations?

Fire away! Smile

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Apr 11 2014, 9:54am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 11 2014, 9:50am

Post #2 of 16 (481 views)
Shortcut
Cheat Sheet: Goblin-town Chase [In reply to] Can't Post

This chapter is probably my least favourite part of AUJ. Action sequences have never been "my thing" and the "Goblin-town Chase" is no exception. It has always felt rather chaotic to me. But I took this CHOW as an opportunity to get to know this chapter a bit better and ended up breaking it to smaller bits (as listed below) to create some "order" in it for myself.
Tongue

1. The Chase Begins
2. Improvised Weaponry Vol. 1: The Guardrail Post
3. Weapons Handling Skills Demonstration Vol. 1
4. "Cut the ropes!"
5. Kili Dodges Arrows
6. Improvised Weaponry Vol. 2: The Ladder
7. Ladder-turned-bridge
8. The Swinging Pathway
9. Bombur's Ordeals
10. The Boulder
11. Weapons Handling Skills Demonstration Vol. 2 (Heroic Mode)
12. The Goblin King Returns!
13. Gandalf vs the Goblin King
14. The Fall
15. "Well, that could have been worse."
16. "Only one thing will save us: daylight!"

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Apr 11 2014, 10:00am)

pettytyrant101
Lorien

Apr 11 2014, 12:07pm

Post #3 of 16 (435 views)
Shortcut
Right then.. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What is your overall opinion of this chapter? On a scale from 1 to 10, how many points would you give it?

0. But only if I was feeling very generous.

2. Any details that stand out for you? Something that always catches your eye/you only noticed now?

The thing I notice most is how bad the entirety of this section of film is. Really bad.

In the film none of it. In the book all of it. And that's a problem right off the bat, there should not be so large a discrepancy between the two opinions. But then the film bears so little relationship to the source material here that its hardly surprising.

Where to start? The look of the setting, the inconsistency of Gandalfs magic in the films, in all of LotR's he uses light a few times, it never before came with a blast radius that handily only inconveniences good guys but floors or blows away bad guys.
Which leads onto another problem, the seeming weightlessness of goblins as they get swept aside in droves with little effort.
There is also the issue of on-screen violence in a film based on a book aimed at 7-8 year olds, with this escape sequence showing more on screen deaths and decapitations than any of the major battles in Lotr's.
Then there is the sheer unrelenting over the top spectacle of it all, from cirque du soleil goblins on ropes to the stupid stuff with the ladder and the boulder.
And the utter undermining of any sense of tension and fear for the characters as they appear to b made out of indestructible rubber and the boredom that sets in when you realise once again PJ has no idea when enough is enough and to just stop.

5. This set of scenes bears quite a few similarities with the "Bridge of Khazad-dûm" sequence from FOTR. Care to comment? How do you feel about this?

As with all the clumsy calls back to the first trilogy of films it just reduces the effect of the former by recreating them in a poorer less impressive fashion here and out of context.

6. "The boulder scene" has been compared to the famous opening scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark. What do you think we’re dealing here with: a homage, a rip-off or a coincidence?

In Raiders the boulder was not just a stupid spectacle to move from point A to B- it was an inventive and fun way to immediately introduce the (then) modern audience to the film's concept- that of the 1930's and 40's action serial. It was a homage to an earlier cinema form reused in an exciting engaging fashion and which served a greater narrative purpose; setting the films overall tone. Its not mere spectacle for its own sake.
The one in TH was none of these things.

7. Did the Goblin King’s sudden reappearance come as a surprise to you? What do you make of his "entrance"?

No, I figured PJ would not miss the chance to somehow retain his dying. As soon as they were on the Bridge of Khazad Dum Lite I was expecting his reappearance.

8. GK: "What are you going to do now, wizard?" - Gandalf hits him in the eye with his staff, then cuts straight through his large belly with his sword. - GK falls to his knees. "That’ll do it." -- What’s the verdict: funny or lame?

Its a man called Lame Mclame who is saddled up on a lame horse which has a 100 mile walk to reach its destination in Lamesville. Only worse and even more painfully executed than that metaphor.

9. What do you make of (a) the concept and (b) the execution of this scene? Would you have done something differently?

By this point it is clear we have long since entered the domain of a classic Warner Bros cartoon, and so my mind treated it as such.
I know some very beard stroky people have claimed every single bit of this entire escape sequence can be shown by physics to be possible, even were it true it does not change the fact you would need to get very lucky a hundred times over for everything to go just their way and protect them all at all times and at every turn from all possible harm, the odds of that happening, even if every component parts are somehow possible, are beyond any semblance of credibility.
Any drama that might exist is entirely squashed by the lack of harm that can befall anyone, no matter what happens any peril or danger is gone- whether its being beset by hundreds of goblins with only a ladder for defence, or falling from great heights.
What I would have done differently is not had such a lengthy over the top action sequence.

10. Bofur: "That could have been worse." - GK’s heavy corpse lands on the wreckage. -- What’s the verdict: funny or not?

No its not funny. And it compounds the above problems for nothing more than a cheap laugh.

11. Let’s jump ahead for a moment. Gandalf says that only daylight can save them. The sun, however, sets not long after Gandalf and the dwarves have made their way out. Then where are the goblins? (Could Azog’s arrival have spooked them off?)

I thought that outside of the dialogue it doesn't matter a monkeys any more about orcs and daylight- they seem absolutely fine in it. The whole issue is by now so confused and poorly explained within the film universe that I doubt anyone knows what the rules are between orcs/goblins/Gundabad orcs/tiny comic scribal goblins and daylight is any more.

Given the content all of that is merely trying to polish a turd, It matters not a jot how good a job they do in those areas given the content.

Well, its probably the least bad thing happening here.

Nothing that wouldn't be a long and miserable rant focusing around how I would gladly recommend the book to a friend and how I would cringe at the thought of someone I know watching this and thinking it was the sort of thing I liked.

(This post was edited by pettytyrant101 on Apr 11 2014, 12:20pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 11 2014, 2:09pm

Post #4 of 16 (428 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for your answers, pettytyrant! [In reply to] Can't Post

BTW, I missed you last week! I always enjoy reading your answers. And I mean it. Angelic

pettytyrant101
Lorien

Apr 11 2014, 2:49pm

Post #5 of 16 (386 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Blackfox [In reply to] Can't Post

for posting the questions- you give me a chance to rant in an almost concise manner to specific points

Wink

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 11 2014, 3:33pm

Post #6 of 16 (379 views)
Shortcut
My response [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
[1. What is your overall opinion of this chapter? On a scale from 1 to 10, how many points would you give it?

Seven.

In particular Gandalf's sudden appearance, and the resemblance of the Goblins to creatures that I've seen in old children's fairy stories.

Gandalf's appearance; Thorin fighting.

PJ's 'fun' moment with the Great Goblin in the EE.

Fine by me.

Coincidence. I must admit, it didn't strike me as anything I've seen in the other film.

No and fine.

Not particularly funny, but don't object to it.

I think it is fine – no more 'preposterous' than many of the things I saw in FotR (and certainly a lot better than a few things in DoS).

Neither funny, nor not funny. I just pass over it.

Never occurred to me to question this.

It was all fine. I thought the Goblin caves were very well realised.

Good, but not as memorable as other parts of AUJ.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 11 2014, 4:53pm

Post #7 of 16 (352 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the answers, Glorfindela! // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 11 2014, 7:50pm

Post #8 of 16 (350 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if the Goblin King's death could have been done differently? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say, for such a fascinating character with such a brief appearance, his death was a bit of a let down. That's not so say I didn't like it, but I do think it could have been done "better", or at least differently, more satisfactorily.

In terms of book canon, he had to die. But from a movie perspective, did he have to die? Would it have been better if they had kept the Goblin King alive, and to see him send off a small faction of Goblins to fight in the BO5A?

I think this might come back to what I asked a couple of weeks ago - should this part of the story just been removed? It doesn't actually enhance any of the storyline. Bilbo could still have found the Ring, if the Dwarves had just gotten lost in the dark.

I do enjoy the chase through Goblin-town though. It's much better than the barrel sequence. I like to wander around Goblin-town - I bet you could find all sorts there.

Noria
Gondor

Apr 11 2014, 7:54pm

Post #9 of 16 (339 views)
Shortcut
My answers. [In reply to] Can't Post

-Nine – I liked it.

-I enjoy watching all the dwarves have their “moments”, some silly and badass like Bombur’s and some just badass.

-The appearance of Gandalf – the flash of force that stuns orcs and dwarves alike and then the silence while Gandalf’s theme plays before he tells them to arm themselves.

-The Goblin King. I just don’t enjoy him, although I recognize that he’s well performed and realized.

-I’m fine with it.

-Certainly not a coincidence but PJ does like his homages.

-I figured he was too major a character to simply disappear off the side of a platform but the moment surprised me.

-Lame, but I don’t care.

-The concept of the GG suddenly reappearing is OK but I would have tried to think of better lines for him. I’m not into gore and don’t mind the lack of blood in the fighting but when a person’s belly and then throat get slashed, gore is inevitable except in a PG-13 movie.

-A bit lame but again I don’t care.

-I took the line to mean that if they didn’t get out of the caverns immediately, into the daylight, before the goblin horde caught up to them, they were dead.

-I like this sequence and think it very well done, but found it hard to follow in the theatre because of the editing. It moved to fast for me. I like PJ’s action scenes, I like watching them at home where I can pause and look at every beautifully rendered detail. Cinematography and sound are great, the CGI varies a little as it always does.

-I always like the score, though this is not one of my favourite sections.

-I have no problem with the falling bridge. The first time I saw the movie I noticed that the bridge slid as much as it fell and near the bottom stuck for a moment before falling the last little bit. Dweller’s excellent explanation of the physics only confirmed what my eyes had told me.

-I am OK with the CGI goblins as well. LotR’s orcs had more presence but were obviously humans in suits. The Hobbits goblins and orcs are less humanlike, creepier and more grotesque. It’s a tradeoff. But PJ likes them and so that’s what we are going to get.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 11 2014, 8:00pm

Post #10 of 16 (320 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for taking the time to answer, Noria! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim
Valinor

Apr 13 2014, 3:01am

Post #11 of 16 (295 views)
Shortcut
More goblins [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to admit this was one of my least favorite sequences in the movie. It’s pretty OTT and it feels like a video game to me (and no, I don’t play video games). However, someone here suggested focusing on a different dwarf each time you watch it, and I found that that helps make it more interesting for me. I give it a 5.

There are actually a lot of things: Thorin, Balin and Oin’s badass fighting styles, Bombur tiptoeing when they’re running across a ladder, the Wilhelm scream from a goblin (I actually didn’t notice that until my friend pointed it out when we watched it at home – I didn’t even know what Wilhelm scream was). The more I watch it, the more interesting little tidbits I pick up.

Twirling Thorin. And the bit at the end where he’s just hacking and slashing and punching his way through goblins.

Goblins. Still creepy. And it’s a little too long.

I actually didn’t really think too much about it. It felt different enough to me, maybe because they were right in the midst of goblins and fighting their way out.

I didn’t really think about it in these terms much. One thing I did notice when viewing at home was the squishing noises when it rolled over the goblins. Tongue And I didn’t notice that Dwalin yells “push!” until I watched it with the subtitles on.

Yeah, that was a pretty good surprise as it seemed like he would have died falling off the ledge. It actually made him kind of scary, when he pounded his staff against the walkway, it was a really solid, menacing advance.

Funny. Laugh

Hmmm, well it was a little too much for me, I would tone it down, maybe make it more like the book when they’re running through dark tunnels of rock. And shorter.

Funny. Laugh

Good question. Not really sure unless it all happened so quickly that Azog got there before them, and then things were on fire, so they probably didn’t want to jump in at that point. Or maybe they were still dealing with the Goblin King.

Well, the CGI during the final fall wasn’t the greatest, the way the bridge stayed level and dropped straight down for a bit instead of tipping and dropping some of the dwarves over the side. Then following them as they rode it down.

It’s pretty striking and memorable, and goes well with the action on screen.

Oakenshield watch: not appearing in this scene. But we know somebody snagged it as it shows up again soon!

Thorin’s hair: looks excellent in the twirling shots. And the fighting shots. And the running shots. And when Thorin yells “Cut the rope!” And did I mention the twirling? Wink

Thanks again for leading the discussion BlackFox!

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=719226;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed

Kim
Valinor

Apr 13 2014, 3:09am

Post #12 of 16 (296 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I do enjoy the chase through Goblin-town though. It's much better than the barrel sequence. I like to wander around Goblin-town - I bet you could find all sorts there.

I actually love the barrels sequence, even though that too is a bit OTT and long. Although you do have a point that there are probably a lot of "interesting" things to discover in Goblintown. Shocked

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=719226;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 13 2014, 8:55am

Post #13 of 16 (291 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Kim! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you took the time to answer. Smile

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Apr 13 2014, 8:56am)

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 15 2014, 9:16pm

Post #14 of 16 (274 views)
Shortcut
Let's see... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
AUJ Chapter of the Week: Out of the Frying-Pan

I would say a 6. I do think the editing here hurts the flow of their escape some. It's very spatially confusing. I mean, it works, but I would be curious to see what coverage they had to work with. It really seemed like the EE would give a lot more to make this part flow better. And overall, too OTT.

It is fun to follow individual characters as the scene plays out. My eyes tend to pick up Gandalf first, mostly, I think, because of the height.

Probably the final confrontation with the GK.

Possibly the parts of the chase sequence that, to me, felt sort of video game-like (I mean this in a task-oriented sense, as the characters confront enemies and defeat them in various ways similar to some video games).

I think the music stands out, for sure. The male chorus reminds us that we're close to the dwarven realm. I think a more stabilized camera could have made this sequence feel a little 'bigger'. The swooping movements sort of took away some of the scale of Goblintown.

I'm sure it's not entirely a coincidence. PJ is very smart in this regard, taking bits and pieces of things he's picked up over the years from other filmmakers and making them his own. I think he definitely had that scene in mind when conceptualizing this shot with the creative visual team.

It caught me off guard at first, but I think it was a neat way to kill him. This gives the angry Goblins a clear enemy (Gandalf) to seek out when we get to the BoFA.

a) I like the concept, although I personally would have perhaps done it a little differently.

b) I think the biggest issue for me is that the bridge appears too light in weight. If it would have looked heavier, I think this could have remedied some of the complaints about physics we've heard for awhile now.

All in all, I think it works well. The end of the shot is very nice, IMO.

I was spoiled with this in the trailer, so I can't say. I'm glad that many kids seemed to like it, though.

My guess is that we're supposed to infer that more time has passed than is indicated in the film. I think, in theory, the Company covered a decent amount of ground when leaving the mountains. Although Bilbo did catch up pretty soon afterwards...good question. Wink

Editing, to me, was too choppy. I would have preferred a couple of static camera shots during the escape, too. I thought the VFX was well done, although some of the glossiness came out as the digital doubles ran over the bridges.

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. That's just me putting my 'critic' hat on. Smile

Lots of the dwarven themes here. There are plenty of 'hero' moments, so I think it fits in well.

Fire away! Smile

I think this was a tough sequence to pull off; to me, they did a heck of a job overall. I think it could've been done differently (not saying that it would necessarily be better), but who's to say how it would have fit in with the rest of the movie. But for me, it's too OTT.

Thanks, BlackFox! I hope to respond to the previous week's thread sometime tonight. Smile

(This post was edited by cats16 on Apr 15 2014, 9:17pm)

Kim
Valinor

Apr 16 2014, 3:50am

Post #15 of 16 (269 views)
Shortcut
One thing I like [In reply to] Can't Post

a) I like the concept, although I personally would have perhaps done it a little differently.

b) I think the biggest issue for me is that the bridge appears too light in weight. If it would have looked heavier, I think this could have remedied some of the complaints about physics we've heard for awhile now.

All in all, I think it works well. The end of the shot is very nice, IMO.

When the GK slammed down his staff, the bridge seemed very solid since it was able to withstand that blow, so to me, that made it seem not so lightweight.

I was spoiled with this in the trailer, so I can't say. I'm glad that many kids seemed to like it, though.

You calling me a kid? Tongue

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 9:10am

Post #16 of 16 (263 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the answers, cats! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.