Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What are you afraid of?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What are you afraid of?
Heights
Enclosed spaces
Darkness
Snakes
Spiders
Needles and/or injections
Germs
Dogs
Death
Flying
Other
Nothing!
View Results (130 votes)

BlackFox
Valinor

Apr 10 2014, 5:44pm

Post #1 of 46 (405 views)
Shortcut
What are you afraid of? Can't Post

I've listed a few of the most common things people fear above. Choose as many as you like! Wink

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 10 2014, 5:52pm

Post #2 of 46 (235 views)
Shortcut
An octopus stuck on my face. [In reply to] Can't Post

I blame a 1958 episode of Sea Hunt, "Mark of the Octopus". I was 5.

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 10 2014, 5:57pm

Post #3 of 46 (218 views)
Shortcut
None of the above [In reply to] Can't Post

But I am afraid of earthquakes. And I sometimes feel nervous in gale force winds, especially if there is a fire burning at the same time.

Edited to add, I wonder if public speaking will come up in this conversation. Isn't that a huge fear for a lot of people?

(This post was edited by Starling on Apr 10 2014, 5:59pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 10 2014, 6:15pm

Post #4 of 46 (213 views)
Shortcut
Heights is my big one [In reply to] Can't Post

and also elevators.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 10 2014, 6:43pm

Post #5 of 46 (204 views)
Shortcut
Spiders and waves. [In reply to] Can't Post

Being in water and having an unstoppable wave coming at me can send my heart into my throat.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Apr 10 2014, 8:45pm

Post #6 of 46 (209 views)
Shortcut
Based on some nightmares I've had, I'd say [In reply to] Can't Post

my two biggest fears are

1. being tortured or painfully injured (needles don't scare me; I give blood regularly. And I've been through natural childbirth twice, so I'm not totally wimpy. I'm talking more horrific.)

2. Killing or injuring someone, in particular someone I love. I had a terrible, terrible nightmare once that I was fighting a monster, and beat it to death with a baseball bat, only to discover that it was really my beloved daughter. I still can't type that without tears, and it was 20 years ago that I had the dream.

I'm also scared of heights, especially after climbing Longs Peak in 1984. Never again. Longs Peak

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Apr 10 2014, 8:49pm)

phij2
Rivendell

Apr 10 2014, 8:58pm

Post #7 of 46 (183 views)
Shortcut
used to thonk i was afraid of heights... [In reply to] Can't Post

then i was put on an ariel assault course and now i love it!!

i now do rock climbing and other sky-high adventure sports!!Cool

Starglass
Rivendell

Apr 10 2014, 9:01pm

Post #8 of 46 (187 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear. [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted for three options. The first was heights which I randomly developed fairly recently when climbing in an observation tower. Now I can't shake it.

The second was needles which I've had as long as I can remember. I think part of the problem comes from the fact that I have small veins and many times when I have to get a blood test it become quite an ordeal to find one and get blood to come out. I also don't like looking at the blood (I guess that's another fear...yikes!)

My biggest one, though, is fear of losing my mind. That's part of the reason why I find the ring so terrifying and admire Frodo so much for facing down that fear and holding on as long as he could.

...And come to think of it I'm not fond of enclosed spaces either... I'm a mess. Tongue

Starglass
Rivendell

Apr 10 2014, 9:04pm

Post #9 of 46 (185 views)
Shortcut
What a horrible nightmare! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a similar one involving a friend of mine once. I was so relieved to see him happy and healthy in school the next day, but could barely look at him without feeling guilty! It was awful!

malickfan
Gondor

Apr 10 2014, 9:20pm

Post #10 of 46 (181 views)
Shortcut
I used to be scared of Spiders [In reply to] Can't Post

The way they moved, being bitten by one, and their general unpleasant op out of knowhere aura always gave me the creeps, but like many things I think it was just a childhood fear.

I've kinda grown out of it, If I see a spider now I'll gingerly try to pick it up in a container and take it to the window instead of running for the nearest exit. The nasty looking False Widow is a different matter, those things freak me out.

I don't think I'd get on well with Flying either, but it could just be the effects of first time jet lag and being enclosed for a half a day rather than the actual flight, again I used to get badly travel sick as a kid, long distance travel is still unpleasant for me, but it's more of an inconvenience than a fear.

I'm also terrified that Peter Jackson will obtain the rights to The Silmarillion!

Wink

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 10 2014, 9:27pm

Post #11 of 46 (179 views)
Shortcut
Making all the correct decisions [In reply to] Can't Post

centering around the many matters that concern the well being of my family.

Everything else seems distant.

Escapist
Gondor

Apr 10 2014, 9:48pm

Post #12 of 46 (188 views)
Shortcut
the dark [In reply to] Can't Post

I still use a night light.

There are other odd things, too.

And there are some things that maybe I ought to fear more.

(This post was edited by Escapist on Apr 10 2014, 9:49pm)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Apr 10 2014, 10:10pm

Post #13 of 46 (171 views)
Shortcut
Heights yes, elevators no. [In reply to] Can't Post

Except, of course, for those elevators on the outside of high buildings. I have to do those facing the building.

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Apr 10 2014, 10:54pm

Post #14 of 46 (166 views)
Shortcut
Heights but... [In reply to] Can't Post

after seeing the picture of RA at the top of the Sydney Bridge Climb, it makes me want to go and do that!

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 10 2014, 11:31pm

Post #15 of 46 (176 views)
Shortcut
Heights, enclosed spaces and tornadoes. [In reply to] Can't Post

No, not you people, the windy kind. Tongue

But it's particular heights. I can look off of a really high building, like the St Louis Arch, or the Empire State Building, but I have trouble looking over an apartment balcony on the fifth floor. Although the Grand Canyon freaked me out.

And it's particular enclosed spaces. Elevators don't bother me, but MRIs, sleeping bags, and public restroom stalls do. I routinely use the handicapped accessible stall if no one else is waiting for it, simply because it's a lot bigger than the other stalls.

Creepy crawlies, dogs, needles and the dark don't bother me. I think it's from growing up on a ranch. We had all that stuff in abundance. (Before you freak out over the needles, we vaccinated our own calves. CoolAngelic)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 10 2014, 11:54pm

Post #16 of 46 (177 views)
Shortcut
LOL, Darkstone! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your answers are always full of win. Heart

An octopus on your face would truly be terrifying, but I just found that ep of Sea Hunt on YT and nobody gets an octopus on the face (unlike many other shows I can think of). In fact, we get no attack octopuses at all. 5-year-old you obviously had a very active imagination. Now this, on the other hand, would definitely have given you reason to be terrified (although I'm quite suspicious of the perfectly placed and steady camera throughout.....)

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 11 2014, 12:00am

Post #17 of 46 (164 views)
Shortcut
Flying [In reply to] Can't Post

I just can't get over that a huge, extraordinarily heavy craft is rocketing through the air supported by nothing (well, except air, I guess). Whenever there's turbulence I get paranoid that gravity decided to do its thing and we're going down! Blush

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2014, 12:25am

Post #18 of 46 (167 views)
Shortcut
None of the above. [In reply to] Can't Post

What scares me is being laughed at. I deal with it by trying to be funny, so people laugh with me, not at me.

And you will never ever get me to dance. Crazy

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 11 2014, 12:43am

Post #19 of 46 (153 views)
Shortcut
Snakes [In reply to] Can't Post

I can somewhat proudly say I may be outgrowing my fear of snakes. Supposedly it's a learned fear, but I don't think so--it seemed genetic to me. I grew up in the country, and every encounter with a snake terrified me. The odd thing was that they would slither off one way while I ran the other way, so clearly they were as scared as I was. One of my dogs even caught a snake and dropped it at my feet after it scared me, almost to tell me not to be afraid of it.

After watching zillions of nature specials, I think I'm not scared of them anymore. Throw one at me in real life sometime and we'll find out.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 11 2014, 12:45am

Post #20 of 46 (154 views)
Shortcut
Dying [In reply to] Can't Post

Is a great fear of mine. The idea of no longer being alive. Shudder

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 11 2014, 12:48am

Post #21 of 46 (158 views)
Shortcut
Funny how all these fears all stem from the fear of dying [In reply to] Can't Post

If you think about it every one of those fears has to do with dying or mistakes one doesn't wish make before dying.

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 11 2014, 2:53am

Post #22 of 46 (146 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I had my eyes closed and my head under a couch pillow while my big brother narrated the mayhem along with some occasional demonstration of exactly how the octopus was grabbing the guy's face.

Are you saying he might have....fibbed?

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 11 2014, 3:40am

Post #23 of 46 (147 views)
Shortcut
Well, judging from my experience [In reply to] Can't Post

of older brothers, I'd say that's entirely possible, even likely. Laugh

Unless, of course, you were actually watching one of the approximately five bazillion other shows on which they would be showing someone wrestling madly with a terrifying prop octopus.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 11 2014, 6:22am

Post #24 of 46 (136 views)
Shortcut
I can attest to this. [In reply to] Can't Post

and also elevators.

Heights I don't have a problem with (though I won't actively enjoy being at any great height), but I do have a big problem with elevators.

(You probably won't want to read this) ...

I've had two frights with elevators before, both of which happened within the same year. I was in an elevator that dropped two floors, and been trapped in another for 3 hours (by myself). The second experience was far worse as it took about an hour for anyone to realise I was in there (the emergency alarm wasn't working ...). I try and avoid elevators altogether now.

My other big fear is death.

Calithilel
Bree

Apr 11 2014, 8:42am

Post #25 of 46 (132 views)
Shortcut
Cats [In reply to] Can't Post

Im afraid and hate cats. Ever since when i was little.
Was visiting my aunt, and her neighbour had a cat that always came into the house, and she was sleeping and the cat did not want to leave me alone. It even scratched me on my hand. I was really scared of it, and been it since that.

Like in Dinner For One:
James: Ooh, I`ll kill that cat!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.