The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Another reason not to take "views" seriously

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 5 2007, 4:46am

Post #1 of 8 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Another reason not to take "views" seriously Can't Post

I just realized something (of course, maybe others have been there ahead of me! wouldn't be the first time I was a day late with a concept...) that you can run the views up on your own posts! I just viewed one of my own right after I posted it and noticed the view count went up, so I tried it again, and it went up again.

So anyone really concerned about "views", this is another reason to disregard that number! It's not very valid, if it ever meant anything at all, since I can arbitrarily run up my own numbers if I wanted to.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worried 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
No one knows for certain, and so it's all the same to me:
I think I'll just let the mystery be.
~~~~Iris DeMent

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 5 2007, 5:19am

Post #2 of 8 (872 views)
Shortcut
click... click... click... [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe, instead of modding, we can just click a bunch of times. Kind of like applauding.

Seriously, I never pay any attention to views. Everyone once in awhile, if I'd really like a response and I see bunches of people have viewed but no one wanted to respond, I might be a little disappointed. But I try not to expect a response. And 99% of the time, it never occurs to me to take any notice.

no longer just aMagpie... I'm now *the* Magpie

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 5 2007, 5:47am

Post #3 of 8 (875 views)
Shortcut
Some of us [In reply to] Can't Post

are kinda OCD, so the number of views can get reeeeally inflated. Or maybe it's just me. I should go back and check some old posts... ;)
ETA: ...and then maybe reply in another window...

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Mar 5 2007, 5:50am)

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2007, 10:06am

Post #4 of 8 (855 views)
Shortcut
Hi, this is TORN [In reply to] Can't Post

you're not supposed to take anything seriously!

(Except for the Rules. Else we'll come and bite you :-) )

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 5 2007, 6:58pm

Post #5 of 8 (836 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Plus [In reply to] Can't Post

Whenever anyone who views threads in 'Flat' mode (like me) opens a thread, the views on every post in the thread increases by one, whether they read them all or not. Laugh That's why the views on the first posts will always be much higher than on the later posts.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 5 2007, 7:17pm

Post #6 of 8 (844 views)
Shortcut
psst a.s. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just noticed your footer. I love that song and just recently sent the lyrics to a friend after a pertinent conversation.

no longer just aMagpie... I'm now *the* Magpie

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 5 2007, 10:59pm

Post #7 of 8 (832 views)
Shortcut
psst back: the whole album is super! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I just noticed your footer. I love that song and just recently sent the lyrics to a friend after a pertinent conversation.

Well, some say (little DeMented humor there!) that Iris DeMent is an acquired taste, but I just love that voice and her way with lyrics. Have you heard the whole album? I just love "Sweet Forgiveness", especially.

But "Let the Mystery Be" has kind of become my middle-age theme song here!

Smile

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worried 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
No one knows for certain, and so it's all the same to me:
I think I'll just let the mystery be.
~~~~Iris DeMent

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 5 2007, 11:15pm

Post #8 of 8 (908 views)
Shortcut
I had the album... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I copied off only some of the tracks onto my computer and listen from there. I don't know if I've got the original album anymore or not. I didn't copy off Sweet Forgiveness. Let the Mystery Be is probably my favorite, with "Our Town" a close second. (They played that on the last episode of Northern Exposure.) I have three others plus my 3rd favorite, Higher Ground. My husband hates her voice. But I always like a little edge on a voice and I'm partial to female voices for some reason.

Let the Mystery Be is a personal anthem for me. It expresses how I feel about things perfectly.

:-)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.