Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Are you an ex-lurker? How long did it take before you joined TORn?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Are you an ex-lurker? How long did it take before you joined TORn?
Weeks
Months
A year
Years
I still haven't unlurked.
View Results (57 votes)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Apr 7 2014, 2:26pm

Post #1 of 40 (534 views)
Shortcut
Are you an ex-lurker? How long did it take before you joined TORn? Can't Post

I started the options at "weeks" because I think everyone is entitled to visit and familiarize themself with a new website and its community before being classified as a "lurker." Exactly at what point one goes from a guest to a lurker is up for debate.

I myself lurked for months, not just because TORn was new to me but because I was a total greenhorn. I'd never joined an online community before, and in fact, wasn't even aware I was lurking most of the time I was doing it! Laugh

Am I the only one? Everybody share! Smile

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 7 2014, 3:31pm

Post #2 of 40 (335 views)
Shortcut
I already admitted it but [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a lurker for about a year. Smile Wink

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 7 2014, 3:33pm

Post #3 of 40 (342 views)
Shortcut
I'm always mentally finessing the 'join TORn' phrase... [In reply to] Can't Post

to what I think most people mean: 'join TORn's Message Boards'.

Lots of people chat on Barlimans. Lots of people read every article on the Home Page. Lots of people follow TORn on Twitter or Facebook.

All of those people are part of TORn but there is no 'joining' process or procedure (although one can follow or friend for the social media sites) for what they do.

For example, I followed TORn's Home Page obsessively for 2 years before ever visiting the Message Boards. (and it took me another year or two to revisit, let alone become active).

For those years I was following the Home Page.. in my mind... I was a 'member' of the TORn community and not a lurker... even though I didn't have an acct on the Message Boards.

So people are usually asking 'when did you stop lurking on the boards and join.'

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 7 2014, 3:40pm

Post #4 of 40 (326 views)
Shortcut
I lurked for about 6 months before joining the boards [In reply to] Can't Post

I discovered TORn in the summer of 2003, before ROTK came out in theaters. Watched the home page obsessively for a while before discovering the message boards. Once I found them, I lurked about 6 months before making an account and posting.

Like you, The Grey Elf, this was the first online community I ever joined.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 7 2014, 4:13pm

Post #5 of 40 (327 views)
Shortcut
I lurked for probably almost a year without knowing what that meant [In reply to] Can't Post

Like some others here, I had never joined on online community before and I was just trying to get news about the Hobbit movies. It was quite a while before I started exploring the site and found the message boards. But so glad I did.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 7 2014, 4:13pm

Post #6 of 40 (330 views)
Shortcut
Years/I can't actually remember. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know for a fact that I visited turn in the early 00's - I remember when the homepages were changed and I have very vague memories of the old forum. I found my earliest presence of myself on TORn when I was searching for something about a 2 months ago (dating back to September 2004). I'm sure I was registered on the old forum, but haven't a clue what my username may have been. I have very vague memories of one or two conversations but nothing extensive. I don't remember when the forums switched over though. That must all count as lurking.

There was a lull after ROTK where I visited the site less, and I must have started re-lurking 2009ish.

So years/I can't actually remember would describe me best.

I always want to know what causes someone to de-lurk. It's quite a leap from lurking to becoming an active member. I was already "familiar" with some personalities, regular discussions, the admins etc, before even interacting with them. Gramma's geeky observation list would be the most notable example I can especially remember. Which, in itself, is quite interesting - there will be lurkers reading now who are "familiar" with us all.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Apr 7 2014, 4:15pm)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Apr 7 2014, 4:39pm

Post #7 of 40 (313 views)
Shortcut
Same here, Elarie! [In reply to] Can't Post

News on the movies was the initial draw. Ironically, after I discovered the boards and eventually unlurked, I now seldom visit Main! Cool

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Apr 7 2014, 4:46pm

Post #8 of 40 (306 views)
Shortcut
I would agree, Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

Unlurking is probably less about joining in the sense of signing up for membership and more about joining conversations on the boards as a kind of wave hello and introduction. That's the definition I'm referring to with this poll.

Kim
Valinor

Apr 7 2014, 5:04pm

Post #9 of 40 (313 views)
Shortcut
Yes - Months for me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm the same as you - I'd never joined an online community before, and didn't really think of myself as a lurker until I started checking the forums daily to see what people were saying (and going back and reading posts from months/years before). I was happy to discover that lurkers could vote in the Pollantir, so that helped kind of ease my way into participating. The more I did that, the more I wanted to join in the fun! Smile

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2014, 5:32pm

Post #10 of 40 (314 views)
Shortcut
My name is Riven Delve, and I'm an ex-lurker. [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew of TORn and occasionally "anonymously visited" (like once or twice a month) around the time of the release of the LOTR movies, but I don't really consider that "lurking" per se because it was so infrequent. I couldn't join at the time--my kids were tiny and I had almost no free time. I'm sorry to say I forgot about you all after that. Unsure

However, immediately after seeing AUJ I re-remembered you! I loved AUJ so much and I didn't know anyone else who was willing to talk about it for hours on end! Laugh Once I got a feel for how things were on the message boards, in about six or seven weeks, I de-lurked. Hey, thanks, everyone, for letting me join the fun. Cool

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Apr 7 2014, 5:55pm

Post #11 of 40 (308 views)
Shortcut
Hard to answer. [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe I joined the message boards Spring 2012 or so, and must have glanced at a thing or two right around then. Then I went away until I saw AUJ when it opened, and jumped right into posting. I did not even remember I'd registered (but when I entered my preferred username, it told me I was a member, and accepted my guess at my password).

So does that make me a months-long lurker? Seems wrong as I did not read the boards in that period. I think of myself as more of a non-lurker-if I find I have something to say on a topic I tend to wade right in. Having been on other forums in other fandoms may contribute to that...

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Apr 7 2014, 6:11pm

Post #12 of 40 (299 views)
Shortcut
Sounds to me as though you are a non-lurker, Arithmancer [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't create an option for that! Smile

cats16
Valinor

Apr 7 2014, 7:25pm

Post #13 of 40 (289 views)
Shortcut
Months, for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was in the lead up to AUJ, although I cannot remember how many months. I finally joined after the film came out, after I had pondered it, and thought it necessary to share my thoughts--and, more importantly, hear the thoughts of other like-minded people.

I do remember visiting the site in the LOTR days once or twice. Very fuzzy memories, though.

demnation
Rohan

Apr 7 2014, 10:35pm

Post #14 of 40 (279 views)
Shortcut
I only read the front page exclusively for years and years [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd take a peek at the message boards once or twice, but I didn't like their setup. I joined about a years and half ago on a whim.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 7 2014, 11:05pm

Post #15 of 40 (289 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's true about lurkers. [In reply to] Can't Post

I lurked for about 6 months before actually signing up and by then I felt like I "knew" most of the regulars though they didn't know me. When I did sign up and join in, it helped that I was already up on the jokes and the current topics of conversation. I admire those who can just jump in to a new social group like they're sure of their welcome, but I've never been one of those people. Though, looking back now, I'm always slightly regretful that it took me so long. I remember delighting in the conversations and debates I read and feeling like I was participating, though of course those who were actually having the conversations never knew I existed. Getting up the courage to jump in was one of the best things I ever did.

I delurked because I decided I actually had things I wanted to say, and I wanted to be able to join in the hilarity - those were the days of pie flinging, bagel throwing, Oval Evillords in spiky boots, and the forces of Chaotic Good...and the fact that most of you have no idea what any of that means makes me very very sad that the old boards aren't readable anymore because the First Age of TORN was totally unlike any Age since. There were some real characters around these parts in the Elder Days. Things weren't nearly as civilized then, with no Modar to patrol the borders, and trolls were dealt with by down-modding and snark because if you had to call in the PTB, chances were they'd just delete several whole threads so it was a definite last resort. But for all that, the comraderie of the first members set the standard of expectation for what this place should be, and that sense of community is one thing that hasn't changed, though it's taken on many different expressions in the years since. [/nostalgia]

But yes, there are certainly lurkers out there who read and feel like they know us....hey you there, come out and say hello already. It's as good a time as any. Cool

Azimuth
The Shire

Apr 7 2014, 11:20pm

Post #16 of 40 (273 views)
Shortcut
weeks [In reply to] Can't Post

I discovered TORN main page in february. I liked the atmosphere here on Boards and I wanted to talked to someone who is also a fan of Tolkien and PJ - I have nobody around me with that interests, except for my husband, but he is not much passionate about it as me. And I am nothing compared to most of you, which is really nice Smile That's why I registered in march - I would have done it even earlier, but I wasn't sure about my english - for the last few years I was using it only to read some things in the internet, and before that I have been only writing some emails. So it was more than 10 years since I wrote longer sentences concerning my opinions! But I noticed that there are foreigners here, so I dared to try.

Maybe I wasn't lurking that long because I am already a member of other online community, for more that 5 years now. I'm even a moderator there, so it's very refreshing to be a simple forum member. I can just enjoy fan interactions without any responsibility.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 8 2014, 12:05am

Post #17 of 40 (257 views)
Shortcut
*mods way up* / [In reply to] Can't Post

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 8 2014, 1:45am

Post #18 of 40 (261 views)
Shortcut
...*blink* [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a long time ago (relative to general memory fits) but I think it did not take very long at all to sign in and post.

I had been a looong time lonely Tolkien driven entity lost in a sea of emotion deficit drones and did not want to wait too long to see what kind of folks lived here and to ask a burning question or two. It was a 'curiosity killed the cat' situation, but I was lucky that it was anything but a cat slaying scenario. MeowSmile

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 8 2014, 2:28am

Post #19 of 40 (256 views)
Shortcut
I had heard of this place but never got around to checking it out [In reply to] Can't Post

until a few months ago. I looked things over, liked what I saw, and jumped in with both feet. And I'm glad I did; this place is great. Smile

I've been active on other forums since 98, so I had a pretty good idea what kind of behavior was generally acceptable, and how things work in forums. I was pretty sure I could get along with most of you excellent and admirable folk.

joec_34
Rivendell

Apr 8 2014, 4:46pm

Post #20 of 40 (251 views)
Shortcut
Many long years [In reply to] Can't Post

I started lurking when I first heard news that they were making LoTR. I didn't post until sometime the year before AUJ was released. I must've been lurking from 1999 or 2000 until 2011.

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 8 2014, 7:18pm

Post #21 of 40 (236 views)
Shortcut
I think it was about a month or two// [In reply to] Can't Post

Theodora
The Shire

Apr 8 2014, 7:52pm

Post #22 of 40 (238 views)
Shortcut
I don't remember exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

when I discovered the website and started reading articles and posts. And it was quite a step to register, Id never done that before, join an online community. But I enjoyed the questions , answers, analyses, a bit of fangirling and serious discussions about chapters so much it somehow seemed the right thing to do.

Patty
Immortal

Apr 9 2014, 1:18pm

Post #23 of 40 (222 views)
Shortcut
I jumped right in [In reply to] Can't Post

But then, it wasn't a huge community it is now. I don't know how I would react if I were just now finding TOR.n

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 9 2014, 5:00pm

Post #24 of 40 (215 views)
Shortcut
It's complicated [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the front page for about a year, and even sent in spy reports (like a photo of my Burger King crown with the ringspell on it), but didn't realize there were any boards until one of my spy reports (about the music sounding like a well-known hymn) set off a flurry on the boards. I jumped into the middle of the discussion without ever introducing myself, like a clueless nitwit. So as far as the boards go, I didn't lurk at all; I posted immediately.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 9 2014, 5:01pm

Post #25 of 40 (203 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad to find you visible :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.